Myths

Garry2Rs

Bass season starts next weekend for most of us. I thought it might be interesting to talk about some often repeated myths.

I guess braid cutting guides has finally been laid to rest now that all the big line companies have braids on the market...grin.

Staying with line, many folks have heard that Fluorocarbon line will help them get their crankbaits down deeper...This is also a myth. The idea is based on the fact that fluoro sinks, but when casting the line sinks so slowly that it has no effect on the overall depth the lure reaches. Not even when trolling, according to the guys who wrote the Precision Trolling book. Line diameter is a big factor in reaching greater depths. Eight pound mono will troll 20% deeper than 14 pound and 20 pound will troll 10% shallower than 14 pound mono. If max-depth is your goal, go with a smaller diameter...Braid is an excellent choice, in my opinion, because you retain strength that you would otherwise be giving up.

A few people are still letting out 200 and 300 feet of line to get down deeper...Test show that beyond about 150ft. of line almost all lures start coming back up, because of water friction against the line.

Most of us own several rods. When buying a new rod we often select one over another because it has a highest IM rating. The assumption being that with a higher IM number it must be better...However, there are two myths at work here...IM6, IM7, IM8, etc. are just product identifiers used by rod manufacturers for marketing purposes and have no other real meaning.

It's generally assumed that the IM numbers are a rating of the thread count of the cloth used (Myth) or of the rods modulus...the stiffness of the rod blank (Myth II)...The fact is there are no standards within the rod industry. They can write whatever they want on a rod and they do!

Rod blank design is a science and I think you need to be a scientist to understand any real explanation of the words, like modulus, that they use...However, it's generally excepted that the higher the modulus the less material is needed to obtain the same stiffness in a rod. It would then follow that if less material is used, that would mean a thinner tube at the same strength and a lighter rod blank. With that said, caution needs to be used when buying any rod with a rating greater than 42-million modulus.

Why? Well because when you begin to study rod blanks there are other ratings like Strain Rate and Hoop Strength. Typically, the higher the modulus the lower the strain rate. Meaning the more brittle the rod becomes. High End Rod Manufacturers like G.Loomis and St. Croix specially engineer their high modulus rods so that they maintain a high strain rate...One major reason why their rods cost more.

More importantly, stiffer rods aren't ideal for many baits. Super-sensitivity is great for finesse techniques, but many pro anglers have admitted using their old fiberglass, or more recently, "composite" rods for crank baits, spinner baits and jerk baits. Why? Because the softer action keeps the hooks from pulling out on a jump, or when the fish "misses" a bait and gets foul-hooked when they just swatted the bait or it zigged when they zagged.

Let's hear your take on common fishing myths!

A lot I do not wish to mention cause they catch me fish while others stay with the tried and true and come back with ---why they're not bitin

One popular one is walleye's bite best just before dark and early mornin

Not the case----changeing up locales can keep you in the hunt even at high noon

You've got a good grip on rod related stats Garry. ;)

How goes the building ventures?

I'm having fun with it...

Recently I built an 8ft crank bait rod for Curtis, using chrome frame guides, blue thread and silver accents. One morning I was untangling the pup's leash when a small Bluejay feather fell out of the tree we were standing under...I started to walk away, then though that the colour of the feather matched the thread on the rod.

I attached the quill with a couple of turns of silver thread, used colour preserver and a small brush to smooth and anchor the feather in a pleasing shape...Once the CP was dry, a coat of Threadmaster permanently imbedded the feather on the rod. Since then I have successfully inlaid a real baby maple leaf on another rod.

Right now I have some birch-bark soaking to limber up. I have a hand full of Buzzard feathers from a road kill. They are too dark to show up very well on a charcoal blank...The birch bark will provide a nice natural (and light) background. A little thread work at both ends and wallah! A totally unique butt wrap. Of coarse if it doesn't work out, I will simply wash it all off with alcohol and do a regular thread winding...grin.

2R's

Hows about Catfish only eat smelly things...

Actually Catfish are top of the food chain predators and prefer fresh/live over decayed. The catfish while it is an opportunistic feeder in its younger years once it passes 5 lbs it is looking for fresh meat. If you are fishing a body of water and know what the forage base is then catch a few and get ready for the larger fish to bite. The Channel cat is a feeder of flesh and prefers a dead chunk rather than chasing down it's dinner. The flathead cat prefers to have it's dinner alive a frisky and will love a small bait with a knife cut or two on its body. The blue cat is also a lover of a nice hunk of meat hanging out near a hard bottom. The use of circle hooks and a steady pull to set the hook will yield lots of hook ups and easy releases to help save the fisheries. If you decide to take a few for the table don't feel bad about doing it they are great breeders and the flesh is one of the best eating you will find. I have found the fish up to 5 lb's are the tastiest and the safest if there are contaminates in the water.

Enjoy.

Art

Johnson VRO outboards are not good and you should disconnect the oil injection system and mix your oil manually......My 1985 engine is still going STRONG and has LOT and LOTS and LOTS of hours on her......

Also only use Johnson/Merc or whatever oil........for the past 15 years I use Walmart SuperTech 2 cycle oil.......use to get it for $8.95 per gallon.....but now it's $12.95 per gallon.....but that still beat $47 per gallon for the red Johnson stuff....or the Merc Silver crappola ..... :whistling:........ :)

Johnson VRO outboards are not good and you should disconnect the oil injection system and mix your oil manually......My 1985 engine is still going STRONG and has LOT and LOTS and LOTS of hours on her......

Also only use Johnson/Merc or whatever oil........for the past 15 years I use Walmart SuperTech 2 cycle oil.......use to get it for $8.95 per gallon.....but now it's $12.95 per gallon.....but that still beat $47 per gallon for the red Johnson stuff....or the Merc Silver crappola ..... :whistling:........ :)

The vro system when working correctly supplies the motor with a variable rate that while trolling is 150:1 and 50:1 at full throttle. This allows the motor to not load up while trolling and uses much less than the mixing of oil and gas at 50:1 in the tank. If your vro goes bad mixing the gas instead of replacing the pump can lead to lean conditions and motor failure from burned pistons or excessive smoke and oil usage. The failure of the oil portion of this pump is due to a hole in the diaphragm that allows air to get into the oil side of the diaphragm or fuel to back feed thru the pulse hose from the engine. Both affect the motors air fuel ratio and can cause issues. The pumps are still available from sierra and for 350.00 it makes a huge difference of how they run and how much less oil they consume. YES you can mix the oil and I am sure yours has not blown up yet it does not prove you have improved on the manufactures design....

Art

In another life I often took my kids(then 10-12, now both 40+) to the Grand River with a pail of shiners for Sheephead. As stated, we caught a lot of Channel Cats fishing those live minnows a few feet deep below a bobber...Nowhere near the bottom where dead things might be found.

I also owned an older VRO Evinrude and was often advised to disconnect the oil injection...I resisted and left it in stock condition...It ran fine for many years and is probablly still going.

Good myths guys...Keep them coming...grin.

2R's

Edited by garry2rs

If your vro goes bad mixing the gas instead of replacing the pump can lead to lean conditions and motor failure from burned pistons or excessive smoke and oil usage.

YES you can mix the oil and I am sure yours has not blown up yet it does not prove you have improved on the manufactures design....

Art

Not quite sure what you mean by the engine running lean if someone premixes their oil at a rate of 50-1.....

Also don't remember saying I improved on the manufactures design....can't improve on something that has run flawlessly for the last 27 years, or can you...... :dunno:

Go VRO....and take the Sabres with you...... :rofl2:

Bob

Myth: you have to spend hours in traffic wasting expensive gas and precious time going north to fish Smallmouth Bass and Walleye ........ the best Smallie and Walleye Lake is Lake Erie :thumbsup_anim:

That was funny. :good:

But, Simcoe, is right there.

Not quite sure what you mean by the engine running lean if someone premixes their oil at a rate of 50-1.....

Also don't remember saying I improved on the manufactures design....can't improve on something that has run flawlessly for the last 27 years, or can you...... :dunno:

Go VRO....and take the Sabres with you...... :rofl2:

Bob

Sorry I will clarify the lean condition is from the vro diaphragm leaking air into the pulse port at the base of the motor. If you place a cap on the vro oil intake it can not suck air. The other thing about 2 strokes is if you over oil which is not the case with 50:1 you can run it in a lean condition it has to do with the oil not being as readily burned as the gas. It was referred to as a oil seize indicated by burn spots on the piston lots of oil with no damage to the rings.I lunched a $2000.00 racing jetski motor by mixing down my gas twice at a race. :wallbash: Nope you didn't claim to improve on it but you infer it is just as good and it just isn't according to motor physics. I am glad it works in your case though I would hate to see you not on the water fishing in your golden years. :thumbsup_anim:

Art

Bananas on the boat go back a long way when they would load the boat with bananas and sailors would die mysteriously. It was tracked back to spider bites from you guessed it the bananas that were loaded on board was usually infested with the venomous little buggers.My Grandpa worked on Dixie shipping line and to this day is still a cargo that the dockworkers hate to unload.

Art

NO BANANAS!!!!!!!!

Definately no bananas in this guys boat....

But that's not a myth... It's a superstition....

Myth... You need to use large lures to catch musky... Not true... It helps... But I catch plenty of musky while walleye fishing with 3-5 inch cranks...Big ones too...

Myth... You can't catch walleye at high noon with bluebird skies in "shallow" water...Nonsense... I don't start catching fish untill around 10-11am... And they bite the rest of the day and into the night without slowing down at all...and I fish less then 20 FOW in very clear water...

Myth... Walleye stop feeding for a period of time at dark... Nope... They consistently bite right through sunset and into the night... They are however on the move for a period of time... You just have to intercept them...

These are my opinions based on experience... I have nothing other then experience to back them up...