hwy 11 above Huntsville

lew

I'm heading north on Saturday and someone told me that hwy 11 no longer goes thru Sundridge and South River, but now by-passes them.

Anyone know for sure ??

Edited by lew

Thanks fellas, sounds like my info was correct.

And yes, it's sad when you think of all the small businesses that lose alot of money when the main hiways no longer go past their front doors.

Progress is good for the folks driving the hiways, but lousy for the folks who depend on the drivers money.

In 1989 it used to take me about 6 hours to get to Canada's Wonderland , it now takes me about 3h45min ...

It sure kills little towns that are already starving, it does , all my favorite rest stops are off the beaten path now ,except High Falls .

Is getting there faster always the best way to get there ?

Randy

?

Last trip up north we had to detour to get to the restaurant we would stop at in Sundridge like the others have said its awesome to get to where you gotta go but sure hurts businesses.

How many here remember using the shoulder to pass? Those were the days when you came up on someone and they would move over now they slow down to piss ya off more.

How many here remember using the shoulder to pass? Those were the days when you came up on someone and they would move over now they slow down to piss ya off more.

i remember hwy 69 had the paved shoulder you were supposed to pull over to allow faster traffic to pass. propably saved some lives, 69 was a pretty treacherous hwy back then even without having to pass on the oncoming traffic side of the road.

like 11, old hwy 69 is a ghost town now.

i remember hwy 69 had the paved shoulder you were supposed to pull over to allow faster traffic to pass. propably saved some lives, 69 was a pretty treacherous hwy back then even without having to pass on the oncoming traffic side of the road.

like 11, old hwy 69 is a ghost town now.

Yup, those were the days! You ever eat at Marks? I thought the place closed down when the 'new' 69 completely went around it.. Loved that place, used to stop all the time on the way to Manitouabing.

Sundridge and South River will both look like Trout Creek soon,a ghost town.The gas stations,small restaurant,hotel and even the guy who use to have a summer long garage sale in Trout Creek are all gone. I hope the Burger Pit(double decker) in Sundridge stays around and i will try to stop in still for a bit to eat. Truly sad.

Edited by bowslayer

Lew,

Just came back from Sturgeon Falls on Monday and as stated only 15 minutes of 2 lane at reduced speed of 70km/h. Sure is nice for those of us who just want to get there and back.

We used to stop for breakfast in a little place just north of Huntsville and then it burned down. Then we started going to another restaurant on 11 a few miles north and ate there for a few years and then it was torn down to widen the road. The last couple years it's been a nice little place in South River beside the beer store but I spose now he's gonna lose alot of business too.

Looks like I'm gonna start brown bagging samiches for my trips north if they keep getting rid of the eateries.

As someone who drove many times Sudbury to Toronto, I am not shedding any tears for the 'lost history' as a result of the four lane. My 'lost history' includes absolute carnage on the 2 lane highway 69 that at times involved multiple vehicles and plenty of deaths.

As for the small towns dying - the businesses in Nobel (just north of Parry Sound) had known that the bypass was coming for the last 10 years. They did nothing about it -were even squabling about 4 lane highway signage as late as last spring.

The Tim Horton/Wendy's combination in Nobel could have been kept open and advertised as an alternative to the already over-run and over crowded 'travel center' now south of Parry Sound. The Lick's burgers at this stop is not set up to quickly handle traffic from both buses and commuters and lineups of 100 or more people at the Hortons are not uncommon. If you are contemplating stopping for other than a washroom break and see a bus in the parking lot, keep on going.

Yup, those were the days! You ever eat at Marks? I thought the place closed down when the 'new' 69 completely went around it.. Loved that place, used to stop all the time on the way to Manitouabing.

The former Marks is still open although called CedarCrest or something like that. Food is reported to be good.

Edited by blue pickeral

Thanks fellas, sounds like my info was correct.

And yes, it's sad when you think of all the small businesses that lose alot of money when the main hiways no longer go past their front doors.

Progress is good for the folks driving the hiways, but lousy for the folks who depend on the drivers money.

Very true. I drive to Sudbury quite often, and it isn't anywhere near as pleasant as it used to be. Going through small towns and occasionally stopping for a walk or a bite to eat was great.

Is getting there faster always the best way to get there ?

Randy

?

No. :good:

That 15 minute two lane area will be gone soon as well as they are completing the bypass this summer...

I'm glad they got around to doing this... much safer for all involved and frankly, most of the greasy spoons on the side of the highway were just that, greasy spoon that charged double the true value of the meal you were getting... can't say I miss slowing down for all those small towns... if I'm on the highway, it's because I am intending to get somewhere, in a timely manner... I don't need to know about some towns "Summer Days" event.

That said, should I want to take in all that "culture, I can still choose to drive up the old highway and enjoy the sights.

Gotta admitt that I much prefer to drive to North Bay in under 4 hours vs the 6 plus it could take during a long weekend.

HH

I can see both points of view, I will miss the small towns when they are gone (and they will be) When we drove up in the winter this year we missed it completely, all of a sudden we were in North Bay. I feel for the people of those small towns, but I must admit that when I head north every year I go through Michigan (from Windsor) because it shaves off so much time compared to the Canadian route. Most of us only have a very limited time in the north every year and want to spend as little amount of that time as possible on the road getting there.

I always enjoy a good greasy spoon, gives you something to talk about for the next part of your journey.

If people would drive responsibly then the 4 laners up north would not have been needed. Straightening some bends and reducing some of the grades would have been great! 4 lane highways with county type traffic. Get real! The 4 laners were put in to accommodate the trucking industry and to facilitate the rich cottage owners being able to get to their cottages faster!!!! The real estate value in Northbay and the French is mirroring the Muskokas. Seriously my opinion is thanks for the overwhelming DEBT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think they should make them into toll roads. Let the frequent users pay for the building and maintenance. I fell sorry for the businesses in the small towns.

I dont see Sunridge hurting. Many great little resturants ,and it,s a summer destination.Also,like mentioned,auto dealership.My parents ,who live up that way,frequent Sunridge for dinners. They all serve up great food.Worth the exit off the mega hwy.Burks Falls hit the lottery,opening a Timmies,right at the cut off. It,s packed all day long.Doesnt hurt,theres an LCBO ,right across the street.

Theres a saying,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Take the time to smell the roses,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

But in todays times,many don,t,and lose out.