Tis' the season.... might as well start the topic!

Stoty

Just like the FLW and Bassmaster Elite series events...the CSFL has just banned the "Alabama" or "Umbrella" rigs from their tournaments.

"The following Rule #5 deals with the controversial bait/rig of the year which has been eliminated from some competitions south of the boarder for reasons other than conservation. Although some organizations have taken the “let’s wait and see what happens first” approach, the CSFL believes the Rig has the potential to cause personal/bodily and property damage i.e.; impalement, water lines, docks and boats. The CSFL also believes that A-Rigs left behind could prove to be lethal to pets. Anglers should do everything within their means to retrieve snagged rigs. As the leading Canadian organization of angling competition, the CSFL is constantly being challenged with matters that do not pertain to the organization and its members. In saying that, the CSFL believes that the future of the sport lies within the relationship of the communities surrounding these lakes and the controversial A-Rig may bring negativity that may begin to snowball and lead to challenging other lures, methods and most of all the integrity of the sport. The CSFL is therefore taking the position in not allowing the use of the A-Rig until more data is made available. At this time, however, the CSFL will not allow the use of the A-Rig for the 2012 season including the Kingston Canadian Open of Fishing."

The "A-rigs" are a legal lure to use in Ontario as long as there are no more than 4 hooks on it.

If this is a "legal" rig... one may ask why all the bans?

One can argue that a crankbait with 3 treble hooks technically has "9" hooks.....yet the A-rig with only 4 is being banned?

I've heard quite a few people say "it's harmful to the fish with the other hooks dangling around"...well... has anyone ever had one or two of the trebles on their crankbaits snag a fish in the side or the top of the head? What's the difference, I wonder? :dunno:

What's everyone's take on this?

Only in Canada eh.I bought some have not caught a thing yet with them.

Who ever banned these from tournaments must be the same guys who give the lower HP rating on ones boats unlike the US rating which usually seems to be higher.

Bass season will open soon but they should at least give this some time before banning it.

Must be nice to be in power make a decision without first studying the outcome.

Conservative Canada at its best.

I think you have great point there, how is it any worse than a lot of lures. I can't even think of how many times i've used a lure with 2 or 3 setts of trebles and hooked the fish in many differnt locations along with the mouth.

I think the rig should be legal in all tournies.

Jacob

I don't understand banning it...

You can drop shot 4 baits on one line...

For salmon you can add a stacker line to run an extra spoon on the same rod...

Musky guys in thousand islands run a spoon off the back of believers...

Bait fisherman can run 4 baits...

Get with the program! You want someone to buy something? Just have it banned. You want someone to do something? Just have it outlawed.

Some of the most productive shyster ads start with phrase like " Banned in 5 states!!!"

As far as I'm concerned, it's a stupid bait...legal or not, makes no difference.

Get with the program! You want someone to buy something? Just have it banned. You want someone to do something? Just have it outlawed.

Some of the most productive shyster ads start with phrase like " Banned in 5 states!!!"

As far as I'm concerned, it's a stupid bait...legal or not, makes no difference.

^ LIKE ^

:good:

If you cant catch a fish using 1 lure, and you feel that 4 lures will be better, maybe its time to hit a meeting.:w00t:

i don't feel that it will be a productive presentation throughout most of ontario our bass fishing is somewhat different than the souths, that being said it is just another presentation and cant see what the big deal about using it would be, i would imagine a snagged rapala is more dangerous than a umbrella rig.

My personal opinion is that tournaments can make whatever rules they want, and I could care less if they want to ban a certain rig. Why are 8' rods illegal in certain tournaments? dunno.gif

For the sake of arugment though, I will say that counting the number of hooks on the A-rig and comparing it to a crankbait is pretty weak. The A-rig has 4 separate bodies, each with their own hook. 4 targets. The crankbait is one target.

Like I say though, I really don't care :lol:

You can ice fish with 2 lines each having multiple hooks. This is far more than 1 alabama rig.

In Quebec you are only allowed 3 single hooks, not 4 so on an alabama rig you would have to put a spinner blade on one arm or just snip an arm off to use them.

Yet in the winter you are allowed 5 lines per fisherman. Figure that one out.

You can ice fish with 2 lines each having multiple hooks. This is far more than 1 alabama rig.

In Quebec you are only allowed 3 single hooks, not 4 so on an alabama rig you would have to put a spinner blade on one arm or just snip an arm off to use them.

Yet in the winter you are allowed 5 lines per fisherman. Figure that one out.

You're allowed 10 lines where I am.

They are not new, but I tried them for the first time this spring and did well for pike with them. Will try them for bass here and there, but I am more a flip/pitch structure guy.

Pike love them, no doubt about that. Outfished the other boats we were with more the once with it.

Won't touch the politics involved in the ban, but knowing Andy (CSFL) I am sure he did not make the decision overnight.

Edited by Harrison

Nothing to really get worked over for, unless you did buy a couple different setups and tens of A-rigs.

The A-rigs are new enough that not very many people would have used them for bass already... Were jigs & cranks not good enough before?

They weren't outlawed for the pike tournaments we had at Balsam and Muskoka this year right? Jerkbaits are pretty good for pike too if you ask me.

Edited by EC1