The Long And Winding Road To Back Country Brook Trout

solopaddler

As many of you know I recently spent a few days bush whacking for brookies in some pretty rugged terrain on Superiors north shore.

It turned out to be a banner trip, although it was constantly evolving and I never did make it into the lake I had originally intended to.

My buddy Jason who lives in Manitouwadge has a quad with a rack and a lightweight canoe and we put them all to good use.

Ultimately we fished a lake that's been on my radar for over 20 years. It was nice to finally be able to scratch it off the list.

In any case I've put together a video of our little excursion. This is my first attempt ever at piecing together and editing a movie. It's far from perfect and it's clear I have much to learn, but regardless enjoy!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ql86V1h0FK8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by solopaddler

Remember my comment about a show involving your adventures???

I'm dead serious, thats it right there. I've never been that entertained from a report, ever.

Thank you very kindly, please do that again. I'll post my footage in return, although it will pale in comparison.

Well done sir, super enjoyableclapping.gif

Awesome Mike! A epic trip well earned once again. I'm a big fan of video (ask my friends!) because I love going back months, years later to relive the moments. Hope to see more of your fishing adventures on film!

one word: EPIC !!

great video journal Mike, I'm sure you're poring over topos looking for alternate routes into this body of weater that involves, um, less fording of rivers ;)

curious-during the wolf stalk, what happened to the video ?

Thanks bud (and to everyone else as well!).

The segment with the wolf was my lame attempt at editing LOL! I added an "effect" to the clip. It's supposed to look grainy and old.

I thought it gave the clip a Blair Witch kind of feel, but maybe not. :)

another classic for the archives , same thing happened to me with the wolf stalk years ago in Algonquin, except the wolf came out into the portage and stared me and my buddy down until we made lots of noise, glad it all worked out, your wolf must have been a lot larger ...

how big were the brookies on average in the lake ?

I've been watching for this report since JB and I got back from Temagami. Looks like the type of trip that dreams are made of..

Can't say I would have been as calm as you with a wolf following me down a trail like that :D

Thanks for sharing

PS 5:38 - #YeaBuddy!

Thanks all glad you enjoyed. I'm not likely going to make a habit of posting video reports, I much prefer writing, but it was kind of fun putting it together for a first attempt.

I'm leaving tonight for Nakina. We'll be flying into the Dusey River for brookies and to a lesser extent walleye and pike.

Should be a good trip report for this one, I'm pretty pumped about it.

another classic for the archives , same thing happened to me with the wolf stalk years ago in Algonquin, except the wolf came out into the portage and stared me and my buddy down until we made lots of noise, glad it all worked out, your wolf must have been a lot larger ...

how big were the brookies on average in the lake ?

The fish weren't big at all, anywhere from 14-17" but incredibly abundant.

Very nicely done, Solo -- more proof that North = Better....place looks amazing. I'm thinking you had to be continually grateful for the ATV as opposed to hiking in....video came out great, but definitely less buildup and descriptiveness than your writing provides. I will have that rambling little tune stuck in my head all day now whistling.gif

Good luck on your next trip...sounds like a Doozie!! I mean...Dusey rolleyes.gif

Another stellar report Mike. Yours are always entertaining. Thank you.

Really awesome video Mike. Really enjoyed that!!! Looks like it was a wonderful trip, with a few hairy ATV moments and the wolf follow. Looks very tranquil and some nice fish :thumbsup_anim:

Yeah I was thinking that too, Joey. For a closer look at the beast he should have run down the trail, stopped dead and done a figure eight.

Another stellar report Mike. Yours are always entertaining. Thank you.

Yeah I was thinking that too, Joey. For a closer look at the beast he should have run down the trail, stopped dead and done a figure eight.

Good one! :lol: