specks and friends

adolson

I was going to go after rainbows today, but the lake I had planned to try is in one of the areas said to be inundated with smoke from one of the many fires going right now. So instead I decided to try locating a little speck lake I'd heard about. After about a 10 minute walk through brush and fallen trees, I found the lake. I put a bobber and tiny hook with a piece of worm on, tossed it into the lake from shore, and within 90 seconds, I had this guy. I snapped the pic and released and put on a new piece of worm.

11754_10150988406500928_728810927_12178198_1388354289_n.jpg

I was at the lake for a total of about 45 minutes and I caught five specks in total. I would have stayed longer and caught some more, but a pack of wolves showed up and I was getting a little nervous. One of them started making its way around shore to me, and it got really close before I toss a rock into the water near it and it took off. I don't know if they typically attack people or not, but I wasn't in the mood to find out. Still, at less than 10 minutes between trout, I thought it was a great day and was happy with that. It was pretty crazy though. The first time I've ever seen a brook trout try to eat a bobber... Two different casts, too. Pike, I could see. Bass even, maybe. But those trout must've been pretty hungry!

I met some Americans on the way in, and they were trying for pike and walleye in the first lake. When I relocated my canoe on the shore where I'd left it, the Americans were close by (this was about 3k from the launch, in one of many bays). Anyhow, got to talking some more with them and they offered me two free lures, because they are so cheap where they're from. They were all casting the same colors and shapes and catching pike and out-of-season bass, so I tied on one of them. I wished them well and went on my way. I stopped where a good pike location stood out to me, did a cast in and hooked into one in about 3-4 feet of water. But it was no pike, it was a walleye! Too bad it was in the slot. Bah. But then I did a couple more casts as I made my way along the shore and I landed a nice pike. Satisfied with the hat-trick, I motored back to shore and headed home, early, so I could rest up and pick a lake for tomorrow.

Here are some more pics:

546665_10150988406625928_728810927_12178199_2045864161_n.jpg

582433_10150988407130928_728810927_12178206_909820376_n.jpg

(three wolves are in this pic, which is hard to see since this was taken from a video. I didn't take a pic when the one got really close, I was busy with a fish on and then had to find a rock real quick like.)

547543_10150988440080928_880623439_n.jpg

562442_10150988407290928_728810927_12178209_2124842681_n.jpg

48089_10150988407585928_728810927_12178211_1126452241_n.jpg

Great report Dana. Looks like a peaceful time out there. Years ago it wasn't often you'd see wolves out in the open in broad daylight. That seems to be changing somehow. Some fat specks in there, congrats and thanks for posting.

I recognize those those photos!!! Welcome back budddaaay!

Very cool that you got that walleye in shallow water... After our last outing, I'm staring to think I've been missing years of shallow walleye fishing.

Can't wait till we get out again.

Thanks, everyone! Glad you liked my pics and stuff.

Last year my goal was to catch 100 fish and I passed that. This year, I only want to catch one of each of the trouts in my area, and maybe try one or two days for auroras, but not like last year. So far this year, I have only caught 16 brook trout, 4 lakers, and one splake. Only thing left is rainbows, which I don't think I've ever caught.

I talked with my father and he said my first fish ever was a speck, and told me where. I'm planning to revisit that location and see if I can catch one there myself. I'm also going to be a dad later this year, and if there are still brookies in that creek, I'm going to do what I can to make my kid's first fish also a speck from the same creek.

Chad, maybe you and me could hit this lake sometime.. I think you'd like it.

Anyhow, I went back to this same lake tonight with my brother and his girlfriend because they wanted to catch trout and we were going to take the cached boat in since it would hold the three of us... But it's actually chained to a tree with a lock, so I guess they don't want people using it. Oh well. We fished from shore like I did yesterday. We caught only three, this time they weren't touching worms on hooks, but they were hitting Little Cleos and a cheap no-name spinner of some kind. I had a few bites I missed but I caught the first one, my brother the other two. He actually caught the second one practically on top-water, as I witnessed the fish jump to grab the spinner right as the cast landed. Pretty crazy sight! Overall, there was far less activity than yesterday - not as many jumping, not as many bugs on the water, and no wolves. Still, any day you catch a trout is a good day in my books. On our way back to the launch, I had some little fish on and lost it, right at the same time my brother's girlfriend caught a 16" walleye on a crankbait. Here are a couple pics from today:

156480_10150990804340928_728810927_12187303_1134699331_n.jpg

550549_10150990804525928_728810927_12187305_2129378433_n.jpg

So glad you are back, Dana! What an amazing report.....you have been practicing alright!! You are crushing the specks...and they aren't tiny either. Congrats on the impending fatherhood too thumbsup_anim.gif

Also --- the wolves...craziness...I would've been a bit freaked out. Way to "throw down" w00t.gif

Sweet report Dana.

I wonder if the wolves are being forced from their home range because of the forest fire & smoke ?

This could be why you're seeing them in daylight hours. I'd definitely be looking around at every cast.

Wolves usually stay clear of humans, but a hungry pack can bring down a 1000 lb.moose, so imagine how quickly they can make a meal out of you ! :o

Be careful !!!

Quite an accomplishment ... Nice pics too.... Must be an SLR.

Thanks! But the camera is no SLR, hahaha. I wish. It's just a Fuji XP50... The pics aren't as good as my Canon PowerShot SX130 (also not an SLR but I can get some decent pics out of it - see here for a few I posted before: http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=55258), but it's waterproof and all that, and was bought specifically for fishing/camping trips.