Pike Opener. Question on Handwear

mercman

As some of you have noticed(Sinclair)whistling.gif , i wear gloves when fishing Pike.

I was taught that Pike, Musky and other soft skinned fish are more sensitive than hard scaled fish like Bass and Walleye, and that wet gloves would help protect them from contact with my skin.

I find that wearing these special gloves also gives me better control and more confidence when handleing these types of fish.

I am not afraid to touch fish(Sinclairbiggrin.gif ) just afraid to damage them.I even hesitate before grabbing a fish by the gill plates for fear of damageing the gills.

So, was i taught wrong? Should i continue to wear gloves, or should i go "comando", and not worry about the fish coming into contact with my hands.

I always go bare back when fishing, unless it's in the hardwater season, and it's -30°.

However, there is no science to that decision. I can't really answer your question about damaging the fish.

What kind of gloves do you wear? They must provide some sort of grip on the palms and fingers?

I always go bare back when fishing, unless it's in the hardwater season, and it's -30°.

However, there is no science to that decision. I can't really answer your question about damaging the fish.

What kind of gloves do you wear? They must provide some sort of grip on the palms and fingers?

I bought a pair of Berkley fishing gloves.The palms and fingers have grips to help grip the fish, but they are soft. I always wet them first.

If i am going to keep the fish, then i go bareback, but Pike and Musky are always released.

I can help you out with that Paul , Over here where we fish we like to use two catchers mitts , one for each hand , the fish fit right in nicely espicially the big ones and it eliminates the need to bring the fish net along , plus it leaves us prepared at all times to catch those flying fish that we may encounter along the way as well , yup don't be a Hereo i say and bring your fish mitts ...........................................sarcasm.gif ............good.gif

Edited by Skipper " D "

A glove does two things Paul, adds grip for you and less handeling of the fish (incase it was to slip for your grip) and because of that you will do less damage to the fish. you leave a few finger print marks rather then a few palm and finger marks and rub the slime off. don't worry and keep wearing them, just look at Simon's pink ones he wears from time to time... :whistling:

What Lew said. If this keeps up, we'll be wearing surgical suits, gloves, masks and hair nets to release our fish. If you're not sure about the gloves you can always go with the fingerless ones. :D Also, if you're that concerned, you can go hookless eh?

Personally I wear cotton underwear when I practice Catch and Release it works as well as the gloves do. The one advantage of the gloves though is they are easier to get wet.

Art

Personally I wear cotton underwear when I practice Catch and Release it works as well as the gloves do. The one advantage of the gloves though is they are easier to get wet.

Art

Some may argue about the "get wet" part.

And I'll bump up the earlier response... gloves are for girls.Reminds me of a guy that was up for one of our Bernie gtg... dude refused to go fishing in the morning until he had his shower! And, he wore gloves when putting a worm on his jig! :wallbash:

HH

Edited by Headhunter

dude refused to go fishing in the morning until he had his shower! And, he wore gloves when putting a worm on his jig! wallbash.gif

HH

rofl2.gifrofl2.gif

Ok Ok !!!No more gloves....I was just thinking of the fish.

And I'll bump up the earlier response... gloves are for girls.Reminds me of a guy that was up for one of our Bernie gtg... dude refused to go fishing in the morning until he had his shower! And, he wore gloves when putting a worm on his jig! :wallbash:

HH

Did he get to come again?!

How'd I miss this???

Paul.

NO GLOVE, NO LOVE!

About bloody time you showed up.

I been getting blasted in here waiting for you to show upw00t.gif .....you get first viewing of the next pike i catch.Goin' bare back.whistling.gif

HH

That's no way to talk about Gerritt! :whistling: