Can you shorefish walleye on Lake Ontario

limeyangler

I know its a big lake, but just wondering if anyone on the forum has ever shorefished for them and were they successful. Obviously not asking where....just if it can be done successfully, or are all the fish out over deeper water most of the time.

Thanks.

It can be done, but you may have to spend a LOT of hours trying.

I've even caught small ones in my smelt net.

Night time is really your only chance, unless your fishing the pickering Nuke plant, and that's not happening from shore anymore. My PB came from shore there though!

Most of them are caught accidentally while fishing something else.

S.

Piers would be the best places for night fishing and if you could find a wooden pier or two, bonus, you triple your chances. Slim baits such as Reefrunners and walk them all around the pier as though you were trolling. That'll be your best shot.

Piers would be the best places for night fishing and if you could find a wooden pier or two, bonus, you triple your chances. Slim baits such as Reefrunners and walk them all around the pier as though you were trolling.

Funny that you mention this 'cause my buddy thought I was crazy when I'd walk crank baits along a pier... until I began to catch some eyes... then he was doing the same thing...biggrin.gif

Like Sinker said, the nuke used to be great but no access anymore. Lots of piers and spots on Quinte and some great shore fishing on the south shore of Lake Ontario. Big ones around rivers and rivermouths in western New York. I think the season is open all year on the U.S. side

You can probably do better towards the east end. I can't speak for the south but around the GTA is TOUGH!

I've heard of them being caught by the spit and have seen the MNR shock a few. They are always nice sized eyes but far and few in between.

I even thought I found a prime spawning ground this spring, went in with flashlights at night and could not see any golden eyes down there. I know there are a few spots on the TO islands where they spawn and they have been seen in rivers. Targeting them is still a mystery to me..

Just thought i would mention that the big walleye in my avatar was caught in western Lake Ontario.

Was a cast length from shore but in a boat at the time. Big walleye from 15-20 lbs are swimming around out there

but night time and lots of effort is a must for shallow Lake O estuary walleye.

Anywhere there are walleye you will find them shallow this time of year.

So, IMO, if you can find the right structure or location, of course you can catch them from shore.

It's just gonna take a little bit of work.

and MM, I'd bet you are right on the money with your comments.

We also have lake walleye in the river at certain times of the year, and some remain in the river year round. No way to tell for certain, but I've always thought the color differences could tell part of that story.

Edited by manitoubass2