Channel Cats!

ccmtcanada

Fishnsled and I were talking last months about maybe trying to target Channel Cats this spring...as neither of us has targeted them before. I for one had NEVER even caught one before! After getting in contact with Steve from Fishmasters, we set up a date to give them a try. Saturday April 7th was the day...and we left Oshawa at 8am to get there by 11. We were early, so we headed off to a great greasy spoon for breakfast...sausage, eggs, homefries, toast and coffee. It doesn't get much better than that!

At 11am, we met up with Steve and we wasted no time in getting out of the water. I have to tell you...it's a stressful way to fish as you can tell from this picture...

IMG-20120407-01597.jpg

The bite was slow, and everyone we talked to on the river said they have had no luck as of yet! The first fish in the boat was a bullhead...and after it was released, it was Fishnsled's turn at the next fish. He got us on the board with this little one!

willfish1.jpg

Next it was my turn...and I landed my first ever Channel Cat!

cliff-3.jpg

Fishnsled landed a small one we didn't take a picture of, and then I lost a what felt like a pretty good sized one. Will got the last fish...the biggest of the day and estimated at around 16 to 17 pounds!

will3.jpg

willfish.jpg

All in all, on a day that was VERY slow for everyone we met out on the river, we hooked 5 and lost 1! Steve worked hard to get us onto these fish. We tried different depths and locations all day long. The fish didn't cooperate as he had hoped, but we had a great time out there. We learned a lot from Steve and hopefully plan on heading down there one more time to target these fish. Thanks Steve! We had a great time!

I put together a short video of some of the fish we landed as well as a short clip of a bald Eagle flying around us...such a majestic bird! I had to be fully zoomed in to get that footage, so the camera is a bit shaky.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Asqwq10opEM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by ccmt

Great job on boating any cats.

I was down there also on Saturday, we managed to land 1 cat between 6 of us.

Lot's of light bites, but the 50 degree water temp turned them off.

We even had 1 guy throw out a bucket load of chum for them.

Apparently cat fish are not fond of chunk ahoy cookies marinated in alcohol and stomach acid. :dunno:

:tease: :tease:

Congrats to you Cliff & Will :good:

Thanks Skeeter and we did try the " here kitty kitty kitty" Freshtrax but no luck for us doing that. :D

Thanks Cliff for doing up the report and putting together that video, fun to watch. It certainly was a great day with Steve and learned a lot. An awesome way to learn about this fishery as Steve's knowledge is incredible and I believe it's what made our day the success that it was give the conditions. Thanks again Steve! :good:

We were also out Saturday mid-day and when you guys passed us I mentioned to my fishing partner "There's Fishmaster with some clients, and that one guy looks like CCMT from OFC." We fished from Fishmaster's down to the last bend in the river with only 2 bites. The wind really picked up around noon and we stuck it out until 3pm and called it a day.

I was down there saturday and today, they weren't biting for anyone at fishmasters so we headed upstream to some shallower water where the water was warmer, on saturday I had one nice cat on that broke off just as I was pulling it to shore and today I managed 1 carp, once the weather heats up they should be more active. Nice ones there and that one is a HOG!thumbsup_anim.gif

Edited by Richmond Hill fisher

Nice report :thumbsup_anim:

The one trip I made down there was very similar. We did a little better...but it was a slow day. Steve really worked to put us on fish. Moved several times...tried lotsa different baits. Even cleaned the fish for the one in our group who wanted to take some home to try. I totally enjoyed the experience. If I wasn't in full Simcoe perch and Kawartha crappie mode this time of year I would make it a yearly ritual.

Thx for sharing your day :thumbsup_anim:

Nice job guys!

Kitty's is just what the doctor ordered for youse two! :whistling::jerry:

HH

Thanks Joe, wrong type of kitty though... :whistling::D

You talking 'bout the fish or Will? w00t.gif

HEY!! :glare::P

Nice report :thumbsup_anim:

If I wasn't in full Simcoe perch and Kawartha crappie mode this time of year I would make it a yearly ritual.

That's been my problem as well over the last few years but certainly glad we made the trip this year. Will definitely do it again.

You guys did much better than we did a week back. We had the cold front come through and the water temps went from 56f to 47f. Talk about shutting them down. There were several other boats out with us and we only managed to SEE one caught! Hoping to get down again but i still haven't had time to get out Crappie fishing in the Kawarthas yet.

Cheers, Ron...