Men In The Kitchen (n/f)

JFR

I read an article in yesterday's Toronto Sun (link supplied), and it got me to thinking. Many men are "king of the Q" but only during the warm summer months.

How many board members move to the kitchen, either during the "off" season, or year round?

How many men take full responsibility in their home kitchen?

http://www.torontosun.com/Lifestyle/2006/1...446190-sun.html

In my home I am the principle cook/chef, and have been during my 38 years of marriage. My wife never showed an interest in cooking, even though her mother was an exceptional country farm type cook.

Since my full time retirement, I continue to enjoy "my kitchen" planning the menu, shopping for ingredients, when cooking, using my smoker(s) and gas grill.

John

I'm the main cook in our house and it works out well, as I love to cook and she has no objection to cleaning up after me. Best thing about being the cook is you get to choose the menu. I think I own more cook books then any other type of book. I actually pick up an Indian and Thai book just yesterday, gotta love the curry and spices.

"I'm the just the cook", is what I tell people. My wife "cooks" once every three months, whether we need to eat or not!!! B)B)

I'm not what you'd call a fussy eater, as a matter of fact, exactly the opposite, but with my wifes culinary skills being very limited (you can only eat boiled pasta with bottled sauce and melted cheese so many times) I've taken on the task for the last oh... 22years!

I BBQ year round and can and will cook just about everything and anything. I don't follow recipies, I my opinion, they are for those who lack imagination, but I do watch the food channel alot, to get ideas.

I've been told I'm pretty good at it (Ask FishnSled how he ate at the Quinte GTG) and enjoy doing it. But I think I enjoy knowing that it's gonna be good when I do it more than actually doing the cooking.

I figured that on an average week, I cook nine meals, for four people... equals 36 meals per week. I'm also the cook for boy's get aways... holy crap... I'm a catch! ;)

HH - no longer the fish whisperer!

BTW - Garlic is my birthstone!

Edited by Headhunter

I'm the main cook in our house and it works out well, as I love to cook and she has no objection to cleaning up after me. Best thing about being the cook is you get to choose the menu. I think I own more cook books then any other type of book. I actually pick up an Indian and Thai book just yesterday, gotta love the curry and spices.

Hey Smoke...................

They got those PHO soups in them books? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;):thumbsup_anim:

Did someone say Pho?

A nourishing soup made with flat rice noodles, Pho Bo soup is popular throughout Vietnam. Serves 4 to 6.

INGREDIENTS:

Beef Broth:

1 small onion, chopped

1 2-inch stick ginger

2 pounds beef bones

12 cups water

6 star anise

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon sugar

1 pound lean, tender beef

Noodles:

1 16-ounce package dry, flat rice noodles (pho)

Garnish:

3 scallions, thinly sliced

1 large onion, thinly sliced

10 cilantro sprigs, finely chopped

1 cup bean sprouts

10 sprigs basil

10 sprigs fresh culantro (ngo gai)

fresh red or green chile pepper, thinly sliced

Accompaniments

lime or lemon quarters

fish sauce

hoisin sauce

hot chile sauce

PREPARATION:

Broil onion and ginger until they look burned. Using back of cleaver, smash the ginger and set aside.

Wash beef bones, place in a large soup pot and add water to cover. Bring to a boil and immediately pour off this "first boiling" water and discard.

Add another 12 cups of fresh water and again bring to a boil. Skim off foam. Add the broiled onion and ginger, star anise, salt and sugar. Over medium-low heat, simmer for 30 minutes. Slice raw beef into thin strips and set aside.

Remove bones from broth and strain out vegetables and seasonings. Soak noodles in cold water for 10 minutes. Drain. In a soup pot bring two quarts fresh water to a boil. Add drained noodles and cook seven minutes at a rolling boil, stirring occasionally until noodles are tender.

Rinse noodles under cold running water and set aside.

Return the broth to a boil over high heat.

To serve: Divide noodles among 4 to 6 large individual serving bowls. Arrange thinly sliced raw beef, scallions, onion, and cilantro on top. Pour boiling hot broth to cover noodles and serve immediately. The boiling broth will cook the thin slices of beef. Pho is always accompanied by bean sprouts, basil leaves, culantro and chile pepper. Serve with lime and lemon quarters, fish sauce, hoisin sauce and hot chile sauce. Serves 4 to 6.

*Culantro is a leafy herb with a similar aroma to cilantro, although more pungent. If unavailable, increase the amount of cilantro or simply leave out. Recipe Reprinted from The Vietnamese Cookbook, by Diana My Tran.

There. Or just hop in the car and go buy a big, steaming bowl of the most amazing beef noodle soup you've ever had.

Edited by douG

Ok..maybe the guys who dont cook are afraid to pipe up. I'll start.

I do BBQ when asked to...usually the summer, but I bbq'd stuff just this past weekend.

My wife does almost all the cooking...maybe once every 3 months, I'll cook dinner....then again I only know how to cook a few "real meals" that meet my wife's strict nutritional limits. For instance...a suitable family meal for me would be a big chunk of steak....period!! She insists on these green things called vegetables.

I used to be the fast food king....and years ago, my wife asked me to go to the grocery store with her. I went and exclaimed "HOLY CRAP!!! THEY HAVE STORES THAT SELL RAW FOOD?? THAT'S SOOOOO WRONG!!!!" :D:angel:

I'd starve if my wife didn't feed me...simple as that. I get a real appreciation for what she does daily for us when she gets sick...we try to prepare the meals and God forbid if we run out of supplies and have to try and shop for groceries.

Of course I BBQ once in a while, cook a mean Beef Stoganoff once in a blue moon etc...but Leah looks after me..no doubt about that.

My wife and I both love to cook. I cooked chicken parmasean on our 3rd date and she spent the night :angel: I'm a little more adventurous when it comes to cooking and trying new things. She is the cook at a truck stop, so she tries stuff out on me at home and then cooks it up at work if I like it. I don't let her near my BBQ.