Fish recipes

sneak_e_pete

I don't have a recipe per say cause I prefer fish cook in butter but what you can try is, squeeze a half lemon on the fish after it's cooked... will camouflage the taste a bit.

YES, that is exactly what the lemon is used for and why it's served with seafood.....you can also squeeze some on the fish fillet before you broil it, add a little kosher salt, pepper and garlic powder and you got yourself a very nice HEALTHY fish dinner....only take about 10 minutes under the broiler....damn, sounds so good, I think that's what I will have tomorrow.... :)

But here's my best suggestion......go catch some CRAPPIES.....the meat is PURE white when cooked and NO fishy taste whatsoever.....but after you catch them put them on ice in the cooler if you don't have a livewell....DO NOT put them on a stringer and have them bake in the sun all day while fishing....they are a delicate fish and they need to be treated like one.....but are by far the best non fishy tasting fish you can catch in Ontario.

Good Luck,

Bob

So I almost hate to admit this, but i don't like the taste of fish ( unless it is fish deep fried in batter). I know that fish has a lot of health qualities, but are there recipes out there that will remove the " fishy" taste?

I myself love the taste of fish, but when my kids were small they were not of the same opinion. I would marinate their fish in milk (1%, 2%, Skim - It didn't matter) for about 15 minutes or so before preparing it for them. Seems to take away the fishy taste and smell. Hope this helps

When baking or frying fish try to use dill.

I make a butter lemon (use a bit or zest ) sauce. 30 sec before you remove the pan throw in a healthy pinch or chopped dill.

You can use the sauce to dip or if you bake simply drizzle over the flesh.

If you don't want to taste the fish, do what McD's does to their sandwich, smother in Thousand Islands dressing. Try some of the many other sauces out there for camouflaging fish. DIll sauce, mustard cream sauce, tartar sauce, salsa, tomato sauce, etc...........

I am not trying to be funny here, but if you dont like something....DONT EAT IT! Seems there are an awful lot of methods people have invented to make it not taste like fish. :unsure::dunno:

I agree with Simon on this 1,I don't care for the taste of trout(have tried several methods of preparing trout,just don't like it),I C&R any trout I catch.

Give me walleye anyday.

I am not trying to be funny here, but if you dont like something....DONT EAT IT! Seems there are an awful lot of methods people have invented to make it not taste like fish. :unsure::dunno:

My thoughts also.

Fresh fish is less fishy. Cook it outside if possible, it is often the smell of it cooking that turns people off. At the spring Fishing Show a guy doing a demonstration said to soak/wash the fish in cold water with a lot of salt, 1-2 tablespoons per 2 cups of water. Let it sit for a few minutes, rub well with your hands, and rinse off.

Michael

Some great tips here - thanks.

Never aquired a taste for any other fish except fried and battered. I am going to harvest more of my fish this year and introduce broiled and baked fish to my girls.

That said....lol....I might have to try that milk method.

Yes Simon try it. Marinate your Lakers overnight in milk, it definitely works.Went from not liking Lake Trout to it being my favorite when we learned this trick.

Edited by Old Man

If you don't like the "fishy" taste, aside from the obvious, and already stated "don't eat fish". You might want to try Crappie. Smaller crappie have very little flavour in my opinion. The larger ones have a bit more flavour. But compared to Perch, or Walleye, they don't have nearly as much fishy flavour.

I have some family members who don't really like fresh fish. But they LOVE fresh crappie.

Edit.. I did't see that BB already post about this.

Edited by N.A.W

But here's my best suggestion......go catch some CRAPPIES.....the meat is PURE white when cooked and NO fishy taste whatsoever.....but after you catch them put them on ice in the cooler if you don't have a livewell....Good Luck,

Bob

I find the same thing with perch or walleye. Eat them fresh, no fishy taste whatsoever.

If you like them battered and deep fried, then that's the way to cook them. English style fish batter is simple and cheap. 1 cup flour, 1 tablespoon of baking powder and a teaspoon of salt. Mix that and add a cup of water more or less according to how thick you want it. dip your fish pieces and drop them in the deep fryer. Fryer should be hot and you cook the fish until golden, flip them over and cook for another few minutes. You're there! I use only lard in my fryer.

Edited by Bob

We got my step-daughter in Florida to try fish when I used a 1/4 cup of store-bought salsa, a tablespoon of peanut oil, 1/4 cup of white table wine, mixed together and poured over a couple of good sized Black Drum fillets wrapped in foil and baked on BBQ...

Steve's (CPH) wife liked my garlic /ginger sauced fish done in the oven at 400*F -425*F for 20 minutes...

In a bowl I mix a couple of tablespoons of peanut oil, 1/4 cup oyster sauce, 1/4 cup white table wine, a heaping tablespoon of chopped fresh garlic, a heaping tablespoon of chopped fresh ginger, a couple of good splashes of soy sauce, a 1/4 cup of water and pour it over any white fleshed fillets and bake in hot oven...when finished baking I sprinkle some green onion over top along with a few drop of sesame oil Both methods I like served over steamed white rice and any Oriental veggies

I'm not fond of fresh-water fish with the exception of catfish but my favs are cod or haddock...

Steve's (CPH) wife liked my garlic /ginger sauced fish done in the oven at 400*F -425*F for 20 minutes...

In a bowl I mix a couple of tablespoons of peanut oil, 1/4 cup oyster sauce, 1/4 cup white table wine, a heaping tablespoon of chopped fresh garlic, a heaping tablespoon of chopped fresh ginger, a couple of good splashes of soy sauce, a 1/4 cup of water and pour it over any white fleshed fillets and bake in hot oven...when finished baking I sprinkle some green onion over top along with a few drop of sesame oil Both methods I like served over steamed white rice and any Oriental veggies

I'm not fond of fresh-water fish with the exception of catfish but my favs are cod or haddock...

Have fish done this way all the time. As far as freshwater fish go, Bluegills done this way are my favourite. We serve it on Basmati Rice...really like basmati with any kind of fish.

Debbe is not a fish eater...but she likes it done this way.

Beans, this one sounds different and GOOD......I'll be trying this probably Friday......THANKS... :)

Bob