An Anglers Needs

solopaddler

The attributes an angler needs above all others, if he is to be consistently successful, are skill, and know-how, and it is these that every angler thinks he possesses from the day he commences to fish.

No amount of logic will ever convince him that he is not a master angler, even though he returns from the stream for days on end without having caught, or even seen, a decent fish.

He has all the excuses of a thousand generations of other non-anglers to fall back on. The weather was too hot, or too cold, the stream too high, or low. The wind was from the wrong direction. The barometric pressure was at fault, or the water wasn't warm enough or cold enough. He forgot his solunar tables. The flies he bought at Bass Pro were lousy; next time he'll get his flies from Wilson's.

A man may admit he's a poor talker, that his social graces are few or absent, that he cannot dance as well as an uncoordinated giraffe. He will cheerfully agree that, as an athlete, his best event is the standing broad grin. Most will admit to being poor poker players and that checkers and chess baffle them. But NO man will admit to being a lousy lover or a poor fisherman.

Why is this? Because man, in order to survive, has to be incurably optimistic in these two areas. It's like the story told in the army in World War 2. If an officer lined up 10 men, went the tale, and told them that he had to send them on a dangerous mission in which nine of the ten would be killed, each man would look at the others and say to themselves, "Well I'm sure gonna miss those guys."

The only anglers who will admit to not being all they should be as fishermen, oddly, are the ones who are actually very good, and who study and work to continually improve as well as broaden their horizons and seek out new experiences.

Yea, verily, the fisherman is a strange creature, and not like other men.

:)

Yes, because fishing is science. A scientist who claims he has all the answers isn't much of a scientist. It's all about research and practice. the stuff that I we do not know should be very intriguing to us.

Great read Mike.

Good little read there Solo!

"The only anglers who will admit to not being all they should be as fishermen, oddly, are the ones who are actually very good, and who study and work to continually improve as well as broaden their horizons and seek out new experiences."

This is the part that doesn't make sense to me..

I'll admit, I need lots more work on several different types of fishing techinques. I'll be the first to admit that to anyone. It's a never ending learning experiance.. So if the above statement where true, that would make me "very good" fisherman. :Gonefishing:

Yes, because fishing is science. A scientist who claims he has all the answers isn't much of a scientist. It's all about research and practice. the stuff that I we do not know should be very intriguing to us.

Great read Mike.

Fishing is a science, but, it isn't an exact one. Part of the joy of angling is the fact that we are always learning. Even the "teachers" are still students.

It is amazing how many anglers stories include at least one account of so called beginner's luck. The wife who picked a lure that never catches fish, yet, proceeds to catch either the most or largest fish of the day.

You would be hard pressed to find another sport in which the participant will subject themselves to such extremes in climate only to be humbled by creatures that at times measure less than the length of our boot.

Yes Mike we anglers are a strange lot, and, we wouldn't want it any other way!

is this an original Mike? if so....BRAVO!!! :clapping: if not ...it sure has the "feel" of Peter Kaminsky ....

on a side note....im a terrible lover but a great fisherman....or was that the other way around :dunno::whistling:

Mike has said this before. A couple of years ago I believe.

If fishing is better then sex...what is better then fishing?

Elementary my friend. Fishing while you're having sex.

I don't know if this could be pulled off...but fishing, while you're simultaneously having sex, watching a hockey game, drinking a beer and eating a cheese burger would be the apex. :lol:

Mike has said this before. A couple of years ago I believe.

Thanks for the reminder. I find there's large gaps in my memory as I grow older.

"I think we are probably not very well suited," said Gargravarr again at length, "we never seemed to be happy doing the same things. We always had the greatest arguments over sex and fishing. Eventually we tried to combine the two, but that only led to disaster, as you can probably imagine. And now my body refuses to let me in. It won't even see me ..."

Posted Today, 08:13 PMsnapback.pngNipfisher, on 01 March 2012 - 07:51 PM, said:

If fishing is better then sex...what is better then fishing?

Elementary my friend. Fishing while you're having sex.

I don't know if this could be pulled off...but fishing, while you're simultaneously having sex, watching a hockey game, drinking a beer and eating a cheese burger would be the apex. :lol:

I just messed in my pants. :blush:

It's more like bridge than fishing. If you don't have a partner you need a good hand!!!

blahblah1.gif

:rofl2: Well IF i had to take matters into my own handS :glare: i would only have me to blame :lol:

i have a lot of funny remarks i could carry this conversation into ...but i dont want to take away from Solos thread or get myself put on Mod Que B)

The only anglers who will admit to not being all they should be as fishermen, oddly, are the ones who are actually very good,

Enjoyed your musings Solo.

I think the above observation is a general rule that can be applied across a broad spectrum of human behaviour....i have always found that the most arrogant people i meet are the very people who have very little, if anything, to be arrogant about :dunno: