ever been kijiji'd?

Lunatic

im sure most of you have stories of being led on a goose chase on kijiji. i have several as both buyer and seller.

2 years ago i was on the hunt for winter tires,i had 1 lady who agreed to sell to me,so i told her id be there next day around dinner,i woke up that morning to an e-mail telling me theyre sold.ok. then i set up a time and address with another guy,and i end up driving all around hamilton mountain looking for this house that didnt exsist,his house number was 45 but houses only go up to 44. i call to find out he accidently listed them in hamilton and forgot to mention he was in thorold!so i told him id go eat dinner then head down there. i text him letting him know ill be leaving in 30 min. well 45 min later im well into grimsby and i get a txt saying,sorry sold them. really? so i sent him a one word txt and turned around.

i sold my car on kijiji last year,and had tons of no shows. one guy who was coming down from north bay to look at my car and one other car had me waiting from 5pm-11pm he kept txting giving updates on his location and asking for directions. after 11 he stopped replying and i went to bed. buying a boat has been the same old,same old. we e-mailed back and forth for 2 days i told him id have cash in 5 days,he said he;d hold if i gave him a down payment,thats fine, i re-arrange my schedual,find a sitter for my kid and he dtops replying,guess he had another buyer....i moved on to another boat and low and behold his ad is back up and i get an email from him days later.karma.

thats just a few stories lol

was bored,thought id share

Believe it or not, I usually have positive experiences with kijiji / craigslist. Yes, you have your lowballers and what not.

I did come across a couple times where they sold something that was malfunctioning though. Even though some 'deals' are not scams, there is a reason why they're selling it for the low prices. Lesson learned.

So far, my Meetings are usually on time and at public locations.

I find that getting there the next possible moment you have to go get it is the best. I bet the people that send the email the next morning is because another buyer called and was told it was sold but the reply will be something along the lines of "I'll pay X amount more and I'll pick them up right away from you." -Guess that's to blame our capitalist society..

Edited by EC1

I have sold a few things on Kijiji, even had one person offer to pay me more after I told them it was already sold. Couldn't do that though, I held it for the original purchaser. I have also had people call me up and tell me they were on their way then didn't show up. Some have tried to super lo-ball me but for the most part my experiences have been very good. Every spring I have a "garage sale" on Kijiji and get rid of a bunch of stuff that I have collected over the previous year. Works well for me and I prefer it to Ebay.

I have sold a few things on Kijiji, even had one person offer to pay me more after I told them it was already sold. Couldn't do that though, I held it for the original purchaser. I have also had people call me up and tell me they were on their way then didn't show up. Some have tried to super lo-ball me but for the most part my experiences have been very good. Every spring I have a "garage sale" on Kijiji and get rid of a bunch of stuff that I have collected over the previous year. Works well for me and I prefer it to Ebay.

I quit traditional garage sales a few years ago Cliff as I would have ended up in Jail........ :whistling: I find, as you, Kijiji once or twice a year works for me and typically nets waaay more $$$$.

It's not just Kijiji where you can get the run around. I've had people back out of sales on this and other sites. It's the nature of thing. I think EC1 has it right, show up with cash in hand as soon as possible to get a deal, and if you're selling let people know that the first person to show with cash in hand will get the item. Overall my experiences have been positive.

I think EC1 has it right, show up with cash in hand as soon as possible to get a deal, and if you're selling let people know that the first person to show with cash in hand will get the item.

Agreed - those points are critical. Another one that has helped me is to not rely on email/text. I insist on a phone discussion. A few minutes talking to someone will reveal how flaky they are and you can decide how badly you want to deal with them.

With respect to taking a deposit, I will gladly accept a deposit, as long as it's for 100% of the agreed sale price. :rolleyes:

Yup, filter thru the lowballers and TALK to someone before making a long drive there to buy an item. Price your stuff just right - knowing that people will usually try and offer you a bit less than what you list for and actually want to get for it. I have sold TONS of stuff thru Kijiji, Craigslist and this site... and find it the easiest and best way. I bought my first boat on Kijiji too with no issues (Other than the fact that the boat was a Tracker lol!)

Also met several great fishing buddies as an added bonus!

I have bought a bunch of stuff off most of the classified sites and have always had positive experiences.

I even bought an outboard in Whitby from Yellowknife!!! Mind you I did have a couple of great OFC members help me out with the purchase and shipping. Thanks guys!!!! :good: :good:

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 12k.... Anyone remember that one? :)

Well the one I found was on autotrader and wasn't a scam, but I digress. :)

All kinds of annoying Bull on kijiji.

Just last week I stumbled on an older but mint shape 2hp motor 20 mins after the ad was posted. Guy was asking $100.

Said I would take it.

Guy replied back and said great, I'll let you know when I'm home so you can pick it up, not sure of my work schedule yet.

Never heard back from him. A couple days later the motor was reposted for $500. :D

One of those cases where it was too good to be true.

in the case of the boat on down payment. i originally told the guy id come pick it up at the end of the week,but if he sells it before that to let me know.

he said sooner the better but if i come up with a down payment he'd hold it. so i though ok,and then i guess he cut off all talks on the day i was to go up. but oh well,moved on to a better boat.it was no big deal. the tire one annoyed me the most.

i also looked at a boat listed as no leaks but showed up to a hole in the rear. lol

had mostly good experiences with Kijiji...

but as with all online transactions (unless I know the buyer in person or he/she is a repeat buyer), I would NOT hold any items... first one with cash paid for and picked up gets it. Or unless you decide to send me the money through EMT.

i've been burned many times...

I will hold the item for 1 day, that is all, no exceptions

also firm on meeting times... from 5 to 6 or whatever, if you show up 15 minutes later, i wont be there...

i've waited 7 hours extra for a guy to come and buy an old outboard, he shows up 7 hours later and tells me he already

bought one, but it's good to know that i had this one incase he needs parts $#%$#!%^!$#%!^ you

it's also good to use another email address for selling things, keeps your personal email private

and never meet at your house, the person is able to see what you have and where you keep it, prospective for theft

tim hortons or a local mall is best

i've been burned many times...

I will hold the item for 1 day, that is all, no exceptions

also firm on meeting times... from 5 to 6 or whatever, if you show up 15 minutes later, i wont be there...

i've waited 7 hours extra for a guy to come and buy an old outboard, he shows up 7 hours later and tells me he already

bought one, but it's good to know that i had this one incase he needs parts $#%$#!%^!$#%!^ you

it's also good to use another email address for selling things, keeps your personal email private

and never meet at your house, the person is able to see what you have and where you keep it, prospective for theft

tim hortons or a local mall is best

Well no wonder you're firm on the times. Did you really wait 7 hours in a Tim Hortons parking lot to sell an old outboard? :lol:

90% of my experience buying used stuff have been good since I always ask the right question before I decide to meet for the transaction.

Got his bad experience years ago that ,ade me smarter when dealing with used stuff:

1. I was told he used the item only 2 times, by the time I showed up , the item was 20 years old. He said I did not ask if he was the original owner.

2. Showed up and he was waiting for another buyer to show up the same time, expecting highest bidder wins.

3. Item condition describe was exagerated.

4. People enquired to buy but not serious, just wanted some free lesson or information.

5. Other liquidated stuff that are practically garbage. Example, A person selling 500 of 3 prong hook cheap and they were rusty and unsharp. He claimed he does not know anything about fishing.

I guess if you deal with enough good transaction to offset some bad experience, it might be worth while for the savings. Isn't this today's life journey?

Edited by bassfighter

Kijiji is dealing with random people, make sure you handle it in a manner not to get screwed. As one story goes, a brand new fully sealed, orginal boxed television was purchased in a parking lot, buyer spent 2,000 dollars for a nice wooden frame with properly placed, fully balanced bricks.

Don't want to loose out? Stay sharp. I've dealt with no shows, people trying to short change me, the works. Would you buy a watch off the street from a random? Probably not, how about a watch off someone off kijiji, pretty much the same thing.

I used to rely on eBay for saving money on stuff I didn't immediately need. Then I noticed that eBay started Kijiji and I've never looked back. Most of the major things I buy are from postings on kijiji. I've only had good experiences.

The worst experience was when my dad and I were shopping for a dirt bike and the guy that was selling it didn't have ownership papers. Oh well, it's nothing a phone call beforehand can't clear up.

Almost all of the reels in my current lineup have been bought off eBay or from various fishing message boards. I have also bought a computer processor from someone off of Kijiji. Thus far, I have lucked out, and had great experiences with people. I am going to be selling some stuff, and some of others' experiences will hopefully prep me for dealing with flaky buyers and casual inquiries.