Monster 20lb Laker Yesterday!

Slayingm

After a couple of great guided ice fishing adventures on Friday and Saturday my Sun group had to reschedule and thought great!.. I could catch-up on a few things around the house. That plan went out the window when my good friend and fellow Normark Pro-staffer Steve Delyea called me mid morning and said "lets go fishing Greggy and scout Simcoe"! Steve and I have fished tournaments together and been hunting and fishing buddies for years and he already knew my answer would be a resounding yes! It was a beautiful sunny day with basically no wind and with little snow on the ice it made for easy ATV traveling and most importantly able to see the pressure cracks and ice fields out in the lake. We kept checking the ice conditions along the way and after trying a couple of spots in the 40-50ft depths and only marking a couple of fish we continued to venture out further to our next area. We continued to find good ice along the way and stopped at just over 65 ft of water. As soon as I turned on my Hummingbird 55 Ice Machine I told Steve there are fish down there. Within minutes I could here Steve's drag going as he said "Fishon"! Before the fish could finish its first screaming run we knew she was a laker. Steve fought the nice laker to the hole but she ended up getting off. In the next 90mins we both put some Whities on the ice and lost a couple of fish then things slowed down. Time for a move.... and what a move it was! The next spot was loaded with fish and they were all Lakers!.... There is nothing more exciting then watching a big trout torpedo up from the bottom towards your lure then start reeling up until it crushes it!! We both got to enjoy that feeling and rush a few times before it was time to leave. My last fish was a huge mark on the flasher and absolutely crushed my tube as fast as I could reel up then Bang!!... FISHON!! When this fish took its 2nd run and almost spooled me I knew I was into a good one! The hardest part of the whole fight was trying to get its massive head into the 10" hole. Eventually I had my chance and was able to pull this monster pushing 20lbs out of the hole for a couple quick pics before releasing her.

SimcoeLaker022612-1.jpg

After a couple of high fives we packed it in and made our tour back to the shore as it was getting late in the day. We both had our GPS units out and together have over 250 co-ordinates out there for our Whitie and Laker spots. Those units combined with the Navionics map chips and good electronics flasher units or graph's are a must and have always been a key to our successes out there over the years. Even though we did not get onto the lake until after lunch we still ended up with another awesome memory and great time together on one of our favorite lakes!

Be safe out there and Good Fish'n.... Greg.

Beautiful fish indeed, Greg. Y'know, people are always looking for guides around here for the Kawarthas, Haliburton or Simcoe areas. They'd do well to note these threads of yours. Congrats again on the beauty.

Nice fish! I'd like to add I just bought an Ice 55, love it. U can see suspended fish, reel up to that depth, wham fish on! Also watched a Cisco come right off bottom to my bait, wham, fish on!! Never used electronics on the hard water, but now it's a must.

Thanks guys and yes blessed to have Simcoe in my Backyard and enjoy it for so many years.

Thanks Roy and Wormdunker you will love that machine for sure!... I have tried them all in the past and the best I have had for sure!.... Good luck to all!... Greg.

nice fish, simco has a lot to offer and i agree on the electronics. thanks for the way pointswhistling.gif

Hey Caster... GPS point is 10km N.W. of Beaverton in the main lake! :thumbsup_anim:. I can't stand fishing or taking clients out in the crowded fish bowl like Kemp bay.

Be safe out there and Good Fish'n... Greg.

Edited by Slayingm