Spring Fishing & Boat show

boombap

There are always great deals on sunglasses and sausages at the show. :rolleyes:

If you're lucky you could score on aluminum windows, magic car wax, no stick fry pans and best of all, lures that have been banned in 3 states! :)

People complain about the safety kits, socks, shamwow and other cheesy booths, but if not for them filling the booth space - the organizers might decide to can it altogether. To some that would be no big loss - but to some vendors it's a hefty portion of their yearly income. I don't think I've actually bought anything at a spring show in 10 years so I'm probably not an expert on the "deals" available. I just go to walk around - see guys that I fish against that I haven't seen all winter - check out some new products.

It's cheap entertainment. No parking fees, lots of free seminars, lots of informative and top notch anglers. Lots of fellow fishing fanatics. You can sense the cabin fever starting to break.

To me it has always been the signal that winter is winding down and fishing is just around the corner. Perhaps earlier this year than most.

And it beats sitting at home doin' nothing.

Go without any big expectations of finding a deal of a lifetime and you'll probably enjoy yourself more. People like to say how "awesome" the deals used to be and whatnot - but I've been going to the spring shows since about '95 or '96 and it hasn't changed all that much in terms of the "deals" offered at least as far as I can tell. Most of the time getting acquainted with a local retailer and earning perks and discounts through loyalty will get you better pricing on whatever you need in the long run.

Charles

Charles nailed it !!

Nobody ever said these shows are always gonna save you big $$$$ on gear, but you may find some deals. I know I saved ALOT of money when I purchased my boat there a couple years back, but even if you don't find the bargains it's still a great way to spend a day.

Just don't go looking for a bottle of water if your thirsty cause they charge STUPID prices for those.

and best of all, lures that have been banned in 3 states! :)

These are the only lures I use now..... :whistling::)

You want a real deal....DON'T spend the money to get in, DON'T spend the money for parking and DON'T spend the money on the overpriced food and that new rod/reel combo is NOW FREE..... :w00t:

Twenty years ago or MORE the sportsmen shows were a place to find deals and have a good time without spending a lot of money to just get in.....now it's nothing more then a money grab...

MoneyGrab.jpg

You want a real deal....DON'T spend the money to get in, DON'T spend the money for parking and DON'T spend the money on the overpriced food and that new rod/reel combo is NOW FREE..... :w00t:

Twenty years ago or MORE the sportsmen shows were a place to find deals and have a good time without spending a lot of money to just get in.....now it's nothing more then a money grab...

MoneyGrab.jpg

Gee I don't see where spending fourteen dollars admission fee is a money grab. Parking is free, the seminars are free, the comraderie is free. Everything else is a bonus.

There sure won't be much in the way of deals since there are only 3 retail tackle stores attending this show, Natural Sports, JB's and the guy from Hwy 400. That's got to be the poorest turnout for stores ever. I've always heard complaints from the tackle vendors claiming the whole excercise is a futile effort I guess now they are acting on it. Maybe the Sportsmans show will be better this year.

Apparently there is also a boat show in Hamilton this weekend. I only know this as the "New" Naden boat will be represented at it. If you're in the area, drop in and tell Andre' that I sent you. I know we made the first, unpainted, boat last Thursday.. not sure what will be at the show... in booth #194

Edited by irishfield

I sure hope there will be more then 3 vendors there.......yikes. If thats true I wont bother going I was planning on being

there around 9 and checking out the musky silent auction with my buddie Brett, he is a good bud who will ll drive and help my useless as around.

MoneyGrab.jpg

This from the land of Capitolism? :dunno:

Please keep your mis-informed opinions south of the border! Do you even know where Mississauga is? ;)

Note: I am joking...Kind of... :tease: