Yurt "Camping" with a good friend..

NAW

I very good long time friend had a chance to rent a Yurt for a weekend during the off-season. The original plan was to have 3 couples camp out the weekend in a Yurt. But some last minute changes happened. Only two of us could make it.

When I got to his place, I was (as always) warmly greeted by his two dogs. they where very interested in the minnows.

16.jpg

We packed up a few last things, then headed over to the Yurt. Check out these pictures. What a cool way to spend the weekend! Wood stove, drop down double bed, bunk beds (double on bottom, single on top) table set for 4, storage cabinets , sky light, 3-tiered patio with a bar and BBQ. And to boot, it was less the 30' from the water!! And it came with a sleigh for dragging our gear on to the ice :thumbsup_anim:

15.jpg

You can see the water through the trees..

14.jpg

The wood stove (which was way over sized for the Yurt.. It was 20° inside all weekend)

13.jpg

The sky-light. (which can open for more ventilation)

12.jpg

4-1.jpg

Drop down double bed.

11.jpg

Bunk beds

10.jpg

Toasty fire!

9-1.jpg

This little guy was very cool. A fan that runs from the heat generated from the fire. Made in Canada. This thing ran all weekend, no batteries or nothing. Very cool.

8-1.jpg

We made it out fishing, and managed two eater pickerel. Crappy cell phone pics at night.. No flash :wallbash:

6-1.jpg

5-2.jpg

The next morning we tried a different area and ended up sitting on a school of perch for a few hours. Biggest was 11.5". Took home 7 for lunch.

3-4.jpg

2-6.jpg

This will be my last full weekend long fishing trip for the year. Just day trips from now on.

Camping in the yurt was awesome. I would do it again in a heartbeat. But next time I'm calling top bunk. I woke up a few times at night to move around and WHALED my head on the support logs for the top bunk.... :wallbash: literally..

I've been bugging my buddy to join OFC.. Hopefully he does. He's an avid outdoorsman, and could contribute a lot to this community.. I'll keep buggin him!

Edited by N.A.W

I've yurted in Algonquin, MacGregor Point, Pinery and Silent Lake but this set up looks to be the best I've seen. Depending on the park, they offer either electric or wood heat but none have the fancy drop-down bed. Which park were you at?

Jon

A yurt is a semi-perminant tent structure. This one aint going no where.

Parks Canada have been putting them out at select campe sites around Ontario. It's a good way to get people out in nature that don't like "roughing" it.. If you call camping at a national part "roughing" it.. I don't :canadian:

This one is at Bruce Peninsula National Park. They have 10 of them.

Edited by N.A.W

This one is at Bruce Peninsula National Park. They have 10 of them.

What Lake is that Nick? Is it Cypress Lake? My folks used to have a cottage right across the Hwy from Cypress Lake but they sold it 7 years ago and I have not been back up that way since. Beautiful area. I have a lot of fond memories of time spent up on the Bruce.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

looks more like a Ger then a Yurt

but must a someone in North America making them and calling it a Yurt

The ger (the original Mongolian term), or the yurt (in Russian), is the traditional dwelling of the Mongols and, in general, that of nomadic people in Central Asia. So Terry guy ,they both the same .. But what you stayed in N.A.W.was nither , but for us poor Cunucks it is a close Fact-Simile and you had a good time whats in a name , weird shaped tent , etc. etc. no sheep skin involved tho , and a wood stove ???

... My wife and another couple dog sleded (is sleded a word?) into Algonquin Park from a place in Maynooth , stayed 10 days dogsleding , hourse rideing , skidoo rideing ,yurt sleeping , NO drop down beds tho , I know my wife wishes, was a great vacation went new years eve and stayed . Wish my health allowed it this year as we wanted but my body (and sorry my wifes too ) did not allow ..I will recommend winter camping to all,if its cold ,make the best, get out there ,NO BUGS , NO PEOPLE just the great outdoors , and the chances of seeing wild life is so much better than in the summer when the bush is so unforgiveing , allmost every night we sat around a roaring camp fire with the wolves howling at the moon talking about the deer and moose we saw that day , best time I have spent south of Superior , and dog sleding is a BLAST , MUSH YOU DOGGIES >>>