Crestliner vs Smokercraft?

solopaddler

Hey guys, I've been looking at boats for a while now and am pretty close to pulling the trigger on one.

I've been looking for a 16-17' aluminum deep V with a full windshield, stand up top and a 50-90 horse 4 stroke.

It's going to be used at our water access camp in QC.

Anyhow I've got it narrowed down to either a Crestliner or a Smokercraft.

Both were bought new in '06. Both seem very well taken care of, both have 60 horse 4 stroke Merc's and the price on each is pretty close.

In your opinion which is a better boat? I'm partial to the Cresliner with its welded hull but the Smokercraft is pretty highly regarded as well.

I'm having a hard time deciding and need a nudge eith way LOL!

Well I'd take the riveted over the welded 9 times out of 10, but you knew that already..... but which ever boat has the layout that you like the most is the way I'd head...

In either case... the kids won't be happy with 60Hp when they decide they'd like to wakeboard! :sarcasm:

Thanks for the input everyone!

Well I'd take the riveted over the welded 9 times out of 10, but you knew that already..... but which ever boat has the layout that you like the most is the way I'd head...

In either case... the kids won't be happy with 60Hp when they decide they'd like to wakeboard! :sarcasm:

The layout in both is almost identical.

Why don't you like welded hulls Wayne?

Thanks for the input everyone!

The layout in both is almost identical.

Why don't you like welded hulls Wayne?

The metal around the welded area is weakend by welding and if the welder uses too much heat it is more prone to cracking. Replacing a popped rivet is less of a problem than having the boat welded back up.

The metal around the welded area is weakend by welding and if the welder uses too much heat it is more prone to cracking. Replacing a popped rivet is less of a problem than having the boat welded back up.

Saw a buddy have that problem with one of the early Crestliner weldeds, maybe 1990, started cracking immediately adjacent to the welds in several spots. Didn't get any satisfaction from the dealer, said he ran it too hard in rough water which was possibly true to some extent. Luckily he was a welder at a steel mill with lots of tickets and repaired it at work on weekend and sold it to a duck hunter with full disclosure of the problem. Since then welded boats scare me :unsure:

I've owned both Smoker and Crestliner hulls over my life, my last 2 boats have both been Crestliner and both with the 60hp 4-stroke. I don't think there is a lot of difference in quality in either, they are both good. Consider the width of the boat, wider at the transom will support the weight of a 4-stroke better (even though the 60 is pretty light as far as it goes) and get on plane quickly and a reverse chine is a benefit that will give a nice dry ride. I'd look for this over rivet/weld differences, both boats are probably lifetime hull warranty anyway. Motor condition may be a factor, engine hours are maintained by the engine and can be read by a dealer. Prop/skeg condition may be telling. If they both come out equal, what colour do you like better?

I'd look for this over rivet/weld differences, both boats are probably lifetime hull warranty anyway.

Provided that Crestliner isn't providing the same USELESS lifetime warranty that Tracker does when it comes to guaranteing (sp) their "welded hulls". Tracker only guarantees the weld it self.. so when it cracks right beside it (where ANY weld does aluminum or steel) they tell you to go pound salt.

Mike.. Dave covered my reply... welding weakens the material beside the weld, and there is no way of knowing it happened, well..until it cracks open. Lew had a GREAT life out of his Crestliner and now Jim and the boys are enjoying it as well. Haven't heard any real horror stories on Crestliners but I could write a book on Trackers.. so maybe Crestliner/Brunswick have put a little more thought into how things are formed, welded and where things are braced to take the loads.

Welding of aluminum itself... I have no issues on things OVER .100 thickness.. like Stanley's with nothing thinner than .125 in their construction.

BTW.. we're riveting boats in Temagami.. starting next week ! :whistling:

Edited by irishfield

Yes, because they don't have to be waterproof.

Jim

Say what? There's 13,500 rivets in my floats (that don't leak)... and they also pressurize the "aluminum tubes" that soar thru the skies at 36,000 feet you know! Those pressurization cycles are harder on things than any lake pounding will give.

I am fine eating food with two sticks, why would I try a fork?

I am fine with a typewriter, why would I want a word processor?

I am fine with vanilla, why would I want maple walnut?

I am fine with having sex once in a blue moon, why would I get a vasectomy?

My grandfather owned a riveted boat, why would I want a welded boat?

Crestliner all the way!! or Smokercraft. Who really cares (for the amount you are likely to use it)? But to buy a riveted boat just because that is all that 9 out of 10 people have ever known is wrong. A riveted boat will leak if you keep it long enough, your welded boat will leak if there is a factory defect. Over.

Jim

Edited by Radnine

Say what? There's 13,500 rivets in my floats (that don't leak)... and they also pressurize the "aluminum tubes" that soar thru the skies at 36,000 feet you know! Those pressurization cycles are harder on things than any lake pounding will give.

Wayne, I love you, but I hate the riveted plane analogy. Do they rivet submarines (yes. I know they used to, but where did it get the Germans?)?

I am just glad to hear that someone on this board has chosen two boats and neither one is a Lund! It shows that there is hope for humanity yet!!

Jim

Wayne, I love you, but I hate the riveted plane analogy. Do they rivet submarines (yes. I know they used to, but where did it get the Germans?)?

I am just glad to hear that someone on this board has chosen two boats and neither one is a Lund! It shows that there is hope for humanity yet!!

Jim

You love me.. then you insult the boat I drive! What can I say... you can't successfully/consistently weld aluminum under .100... even with a robot. Them's the facts!

You ever seen a riveted smoker craft split open? I haven't....

Ever seen a welded crestliner split open.....I have.....several of them.

I'm not partial to welded aluminum boats, even though crestliners are good hulls, I would stay away from the welded hull. Why are they selling it?

smoker craft is part of the starcraft line of boats. Just search for problems with starfcraft hulls....good luck. Also take a look at how may star/smokercraft boats are still around from the 70's, and still going strong. That is enough to sway me to pick the smoker craft.

S.

funny, I love the riveted plane analogy...I see the similarities it the aluminum flexing and bumping on a plane and a boat....

and if wielding was better planes would wield the skin...IMHO