Rod Rack Review

jedimaster

I bought a rod rack with a gift card I got for Xmas a few days ago, and wanted to pass on my info to you folks. It was the deluxe 150 dollar one with the 2 drawers and a cupboard with a racking system for tackle trays.

All of my rods fit on and most of my boxes fit in. Thats about where the good things end.

One of the drawers came with a cracked and broken piece of wood, I glued it together and stapled it.

One of the uprights on the cabinets also had a split in it. Its at the rear so it doesn't bother me too much.

The drawers don't fit and don't shut properly. I had to redrill new holes for the sliders. They sort of work now.

There was also a wood burned image of the Bass Pro logo on the top. It wasn't fully burned in and they had colored it in with a Pen. Yes a Pen. An Ink Pen. They didn't even use a black pen they used a blue pen. They did a fairly sloppy job even at coloring it in.

Anyway I guess I should return it, but its all together now and I don't want to go through the hastle of returning something to Bass Pro. It'll make for good conversation of why I don't shop at Bass Pro whenever possible.

So just a heads up do NOT buy this piece of crap Rod rack. I really shouldn't have been so lazy and built one myself from scratch. Oh well buyer beware I guess. I'll see if I can take a picture and upload it tomorow.

For something that is pre drilled it should just fit together and function.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i read bad reviews on all the rod racks online. cheap materials, sometimes missing pieces...

i bought a plastic mhx rack instead for 20 dollars. lol

The wood feels like slightly balsa wood, anyway. I just really feel too lazy. The stupid thing took me 3 hours to put together. After having to put it together and take it apart. When I bought it the guy said they had a really bad batch with lots of returns but this new batch noone has returned any. Its so junky though. I would be embarassed if I owned Bass Pro and I stuck my name on it. The desing is just what I was looking for though, Lots of rod storage, and room for lots of tackle trays.I just wish the workmanship was at least better than a grade 7 wood shop class.

I have 2 10ft pieces of PVC hug from the garage ceiling that the rods sit on. So far it has served me well for rod/reel combo storage. The extra rods and reels are in cardboard boxes and the tackle boxes are stacked on the shelves.

Art

I find this particularly handy, out of the way and right above my boat! Of course it only holds some of my rods... :whistling:

rodrack.JPG

Thats a great set up. can you show a close up of the rack where the rods sit in. Is that foam ? I might have to steal your design.

Similar idea using PVC pipe:

Have two pieces one 6" long the other 3 - 4' long. A slot in the longer pipe 8" long wide enough to slide the reel through, a space between the two pieces and slide in the long, slide butt of rod in the short and they are hanging. ======] [==

Well I am in a condo so I need something floor mounted, and something not too distracting or my fiance will put me on the curb. I am thinking about using it as a template to make one with betterr materials. I'll have some time since I am not doing the bathtub replacement.

Pigeon troller, that is some nice workmanship right there!

Jedi,

To my knowledge, The C.Hina company has never been known for their prowess in woodworking skills! LOL

Too bad BPS has to stoop to this low level though. There was a time when they cared about the products that carried there name. Its not like Johnny Morris is hurting any.

Imagine if IKEA ever got into making products for fishing tackle storage? Now there stuff usually goes together very well!

Ok fine, I'll return it. I guess it'll give me something to tinker with on the weekend since I am still waiting for furniture to be delivered and no interent at home yet(yeah Bell service)...I'll see what the schedule is like tonight after work, sanp a few pictures before I load it up in the car and drive over to bass pro. Hopefully I will be able to get a refund. I definatly do not want a store credit. Maybe I'll get the cash back instead of the gift card and I'll go shop around for a better built one, or go to home depot and buy some wood.

Yes, I am sure it will be an interesting experience. I'll likely end up on youtube with a million hits...

"Shopper goes ballistic at Bass Pro over a rod rack"

That'd be worth the price of admission just to see that :lol: