What a horrible day

bigugli

I have owned, or handled, dogs all my life. Most were retrievers and Dobs. Only one dog turned vicious and it was put down quick, despite the son's objections.

I don't blame the dog. This dog has been allowed to be a predator, and the owners have no control.

I filed a complaint with animal control and will see how that goes first. I do expect these people to pay all the bills, else this will get nasty.

When the attack was happening one lady stopped her vehicle to do us a kindness and drove us back to our car. Wish I got her name to thank her properly.

I'm so sorry to hear what has happened to your Peanut. I can tell by the images that is was a severe attack that could have ended up much worse.

I unfortunately had a similar (though not nearly as severe)attack on my poor little lab pup when he was 9 months old. We own a place up north and my next door neighbour owns a wonderful 7 year old King Sheppard. He is one of the most well behaved, good natured dog I have ever met. He has been a mentor to my lab since he was just a wee thing. Hilarious to watch him teaching my little guy.

Three doors down lives the complete opposite in a very mean King Shepard. One day while playing with the next door neighbour's dog, the other Sheppard showed up and proceeded to chop on my much smaller Lab pump piercing his shoulder and drawing blood. Luckily I was close by as was my neighbour and the other dogs owner. I am afraid to think of what may have happened if we didn't intervene as quickly as we did.

My pup learned a valuable lesson in not trusting all dogs. Hes a very friendly dog but is much more cautious when approaching new dogs now.

Hoping Peanut has a speeding and full recovery.

Cheers.

A horrible thing to have to go through Bruce.

I hope Peanut is back up to speed quickly.

I have a good friend who watched his small dog torn in half at the jaws of two large dogs while it was on the leash.

He was defenseless to stop the attack. I can't even begin to imagine how traumatic it must have been for you and Peanut.

It IS the owners and how they raise their dogs.

I had a king shepard.

He would do anything I told him to.

If a cat ran out in front of him he would instinctively start to chase it.

When I told him to stop he would stop instantly .

He was very well behaved and never had any kind of incident with him.

To Bruce and Peanut, we wish both of you a speedy recovery!

Well, Peanut is not out of danger yet. Had to rush her back to the vet. A lot of the skin started to break down. Much more tissue trauma than was realized. We now have to wait and see.

On a side note, there will be no problem in being compensated by the other family.

Too bad things are not going well right now for Peanut. Nice to know that the owners are taking the responsible route but little compensation for what Peanut and the family has been through in the past few days. I sure hope that things get better for the pooch and thanks for the update.

Awful thread.

I have 2 friends who were bitten in the face as kids, both have major scarring...one is a guy, one is a girl -- not that it's completely different but the girl really suffered from the scarring.

Both dogs were large, and were family pets without prior incidents...but things happen...

I live in Barrie, several years ago in Alcona (if I remember correctly) a family dog tore out of the yard, grabbed a 4-year old by the neck and shook her to death before the owner could get there...it was a dog with a locking jaw, etc...in a separate incident in a small community near Barrie a mastif and a pitbull together attacked and killed several (I think 4 or 5) neighbourhood cats/dogs before the owner realized they had tunnelled under the fence while he was at work...they were going out terrorizing the area during the day and returning before he arrived back. The serial killings ended when the two attacked and ripped a cat to pieces in front of 12 8 year olds at a neighbouring house celebrating a birthday party, and they knew the dogs and reported it.

In each case the animals were eventually destroyed.

I'm not blaming specific breeds, or big dogs for that matter...but, if you plan to own a larger breed, especially one that has a history of biting, you simply MUST keep them leashed and under control -- do the work necessary to train them -- IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. If anyone in my family suffered something like that I would be VERY frustrated.

We just got a new golden doodle...obviously not a feared breed, but it is a big dog and we've been working to train her. She's almost 5 mths -- so far so good. I agree with many -- OWNERS NEED TO BE FOUND LIABLE MORE OFTEN...perhaps that would stop the senseless and preventable attacks.

Wishing a speedy recovery to Peanut!

I sincerely hope it all goes well.

Good thing the dog's owner is paying the vet bills....they are entirely responsible.

As a large dog owner,(Collies) I am not immune to this situation myself, My dogs and I have been rushed several times in our own neighborhood and I have had to deal with a 3 way dog fight more than once! My dogs on leashes!

On one occasion I took my dogs home and went over and BLASTED the German Shepard owner. The dog was gone about a week later....(not the dog's fault) :(

sorry to hear bout this....i have a wiemeraner and we frequent a local dog park frequently.....and the ONLY breed that im scared of is sheperds......have seen some pretty nasty scraps....not to blame the breed...but some owners cant handle them!!!

Funny, I had a terrible experience with a wiemeraner that tried to attack my German Shepherd when she was still a puppy so I unfortunately have bias against them although I try my best not too. We were packing up from a soccer game and I was taking off my shin pads and had my dog on leash in my hand this thing came out of nowhere and charged us, thankfully I didn't have good grip on the lease and my dog was able to pull away and maneuver out of being bitten. It caused a real melee because my friends have rottweiler that immediately pulled its way into the mix but the good news is that the rottweiler intimidated the wiemeraner into backing away. The owner was still a good soccer field away at this point. Anyways so many people regardless of breed have no clue when it comes to dogs, sometimes I think we forget they are dogs and it only takes seconds for things to go bad, especially with the large breeds.

As German Shepherd owner you definitely don't feel the love and many are intimidated by them and I think they often pick up on that nervous energy. But you see incidents like poor peanut here and you can see why people are afraid.

Here are some interesting stats for the large dog owner out there and why you need to have control of your dog not that small-mid sized dog owners are off the hook:

The German Shepherd has a bite force of 238lbs

Rottweiler around 265

Pitbull 235

Golden Retriever 230

How does this compare to other animals

Humans around 120

Lions around 700

The German Shepherd has a bite force of 238lbs

Rottweiler around 265

Pitbull 235

Golden Retriever 230

How does this compare to other animals

Humans around 120

Lions around 700

Not sure the bite force of my better half. But that's not even the scary part....the scary part is the bark :whistling:

Sorry peanuts ordeal has hit a speed bump Bruce. That little fella is full of piss & vinegar though so I'm sure things will be OK.

How is Peanut doing today Bruce?

I wonder if the other dog owners insurance will cover this or will this be out of their pocket? I can see this costing a bundle!

Just got off the phone with the vet. Hugh is a conscientious and caring vet, and he has done all he can. So far so good. Need a few more days to know if the hide will heal and not break down again. Enough of a spunky little bugger to pull out her drain.

I have no idea how this is being paid for at this point. I do feel sorry for the other family, as they try to explain things to their kids. I was a "murderer" when I put the one dog down when he turned nasty

Just got off the phone with the vet. Hugh is a conscientious and caring vet, and he has done all he can. So far so good. Need a few more days to know if the hide will heal and not break down again. Enough of a spunky little bugger to pull out her drain.

I have no idea how this is being paid for at this point. I do feel sorry for the other family, as they try to explain things to their kids. I was a "murderer" when I put the one dog down when he turned nasty

Thanks for the update, I think everyone here is hoping for the best for peanut.

You are a good man to be thinking of the other family at this time. If you do talk to them there might be a chance the dog does not need to be put down, it could find a home as a guard dog at somewhere.