New Boat Motor

duke01

On deep V's is where the 4 strokes out perform 2's,With more consistent torque at high rpm's and all threw the power band.Making the 4 more efficient in ruff water.

Running in waters where the the prop is leaving the water on a consistent bases and have to get off the throttle to keep a high rate of speed and the boat going in the right derection :w00t: . with the consistent torque of the 4.The prop will grab the next wave harder give more thrust.With a 2 you have to keep a higher rate of rpm's to adcheve the same rate of speed.Making it more difficult in keeping the same rate of consistency as a 4.When the prop re-enter the water.The more snappy torque from a 2 tends to give more prop slip when getting back on the throttle.

Which in turn decreases lift.Dropping the boat farther into the water causing more drag.

Now, If I was going too propelle myself down the lake on calmer water.I would go 2 stroke.

No I wouldn't.I would start burning alchol and see what happens. :canadian:

200hp at the prop,is 200hp at the prop.

Exactly!!!!!!!

Two strokes are load sensitive and will begin to bog down on the higher end of the power band much sooner than a four stroke.

Cavitation is do to physics,Not the prop.Prop design 3 blade or 9 is to help eleminate Cavitation.

When the boat is moving it is no longer in the water.This is do to fiction causing heat,Which in turn make the boat and engine run on air.

Now prop design is to decrease the amount of air that runs around the prop giving more said bite.

This is were the inconsistent torque of a 2 stroke is it's own down fall.It can't keep the said air pocket at a consistent size.Creating more

prop cavition.decreasing lift.

In long runs you will get a more constance forward motion from a 4.which in turn gives more speed.

Now in ruff water their is more air in the water then calm.

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MATH!!!!

Since I am not a racer or tournament fisherman which most people aren't I shopped NOT by brand but by DEALER.If I have a problem I want to be sure that I can have it taken care of in a timely manner and I DIDN'T want to have to spend HOURS driving to hear "leave it and we will get back to you".Modern motors are so close in performance that it doesn't matter what you buy unless something goes wrong and then you want the DEALER to look after you ASAP!!!

vance

Cavitation is do to physics,Not the prop.Prop design 3 blade or 9 is to help eleminate Cavitation.

When the boat is moving it is no longer in the water.This is do to fiction causing heat,Which in turn make the boat and engine run on air.

Now prop design is to decrease the amount of air that runs around the prop giving more said bite.

This is were the inconsistent torque of a 2 stroke is it's own down fall.It can't keep the said air pocket at a consistent size.Creating more

prop cavition.decreasing lift.

In long runs you will get a more constance forward motion from a 4.which in turn gives more speed.

Now in ruff water their is more air in the water then calm.

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MATH!!!!

come on man what math? You made that up lol.

Edited by hirk

Hello again sorry for not replying sooner, I was fishing in Bay of Quinte. This engine will be going on a 1850 Crestliner Raptor TE from Proctor Mairne and they can get either engine put on the boat. Right now we have a Sylvan 17 ft with a 115 Johnson 4-Stroke( a great boat and motor but getting old). Thankyou for all the info!

Quinte Report. We got 6 walleye (10-2 lbs) all on pink or purple baits and 220-250 ft behind the boards. Most were caught at the ferry crossing area.

Hello again sorry for not replying sooner, I was fishing in Bay of Quinte. This engine will be going on a 1850 Crestliner Raptor TE from Proctor Mairne and they can get either engine put on the boat. Right now we have a Sylvan 17 ft with a 115 Johnson 4-Stroke( a great boat and motor but getting old). Thankyou for all the info!

Quinte Report. We got 6 walleye (10-2 lbs) all on pink or purple baits and 220-250 ft behind the boards. Most were caught at the ferry crossing area.

If at any time you want to put a kicker on it for trolling, I think you will appreciate the almost 100 pound weight advantage of the E-tec. Over 500lbs. for the Verado plus a kicker think you will find a 18 1/2 foot tinner too heavy at the stern. I'd go the E-tec and put the weight and I assume cost advantage into a 4 stroke kicker, electric start, alternator and something like a trollmaster of control king for speed adjustment. Just my 2 cents as a predominately Great Lakes troller who has got a stern maxxed out weight wise :whistling:

Edited by dave524

E TEc info

the E-TEC engine has what is called a total loss oiling system. The oil is recirculated throughout the motor and some is caught in the airstream and travels to the combustion chamber.

The oil is consumed completely during the combustion process. The E-TEC design is so efficient that it is still one of the cleanest internal combustion engines on record, yet it includes the oil that is used. It's emissions remain the same over time.

On a 4-stroke motor, as the hours add up, the pistons, rings and valve guides begin to wear and oil starts to leak into the combustion chambers through those parts and that INCREASES the emission output by a large amount. A 4-stroke gets dirtier and gives off more air pollution as it grows older. 4-stroke engine oil is not made to be burned in the motor so when it gets into the cylinder and is combusted, it gives off a large amount of emissions, deposits, and metallic byproducts.

Two-stroke oil such as XD-50 and XD-100 is formulated to be consumed and burned efficiently with minimal emissions or deposits.

On a two stroke anything that happens to go past the piston will be blown back on to the top of the piston.

Air is pushed into the combustion chamber by the downward motion of the piston up through a port that goes up along the side of the cylinder.

In non fuel injected two strokes the fuel/oil mix lubricated the crankshaft, cylinder walls and piston wrist pin.

But with direct injection the oil only needs to have the odd drop added to lubricate these parts as it is only air below the piston to be pushed up through the port in the cylinder. Fuel isn't there to wash it off.

I've been running a Verado since 2006, and I've never had a problem. My current 200HP Verado costs me $125.00/year to maintain. This includes engine oil/filter/gear lube/grease, etc. I buy a kit on the Verado club website and I do the work myself. It takes me about 4 hours to do annual engine maintenance, I'm sure others can do it much more quickly, I prefer to take my time. There are a number of useful u-tube videos to help the 1st timer. All that said, if I were to buy another welded hull like the Raptor (I once owned a Fishhawk), weight would be a serious consideration in my decision. I'm not a big Liner fan. If you buy one make absolutely sure you test drive your boat before you purchase as they are known to have problems with excessive boathook which can be a nightmare to solve and seriously affects the boats performance.

OK Bernie I think I got this right.

With the E-tec.Since there is no fuel in the crank case,Even if fuel was to get by the rings on the compression stroke there would not be enough

fuel in the crank case to cause crank case detination.You would just have a foul run engine do to the lack of compression..