Giant Muskie

BassMan11

I'll start it off. That's not a 70lb muskie, lol.

He could just be a really big dude... :whistling: hah

But seriously, you can't knock the guy.... it's his first Ski, and he likely genuinely thought it was that big.... with the excitement of the battle, the minutes it took to land likely felt like an hour to him... haha I fished for close to 20 years before I joined OFC and really got into the sport...and if somebody showed me that picture 7 or 8 years ago I'd have believed out of shear ignorance that it was 70lbs... And let's just assume for a second that they put it on two rusty old 35lb spring scales... it could have bottomed them out, even though it wasn't actually 70lbs... those scales are garbage, and not designed to weigh something that big....

At the end of the day, I say congrats to him for catching a fish of a lifetime... hopefully the fish lived despite how it's been held and weighed. I'm sure he's been told enough times by how that you shouldn't hold a fish like that, and will hopefully learn a lesson or two about musky fishing and getting your facts strait before telling stories of grandeur...

Cheers,

Ryan

But he did get his picture in the paper !! Lol .. Not even close to 50 lbs .. Sad to see them print that with again no proof photos measurements proper scales etc. Gotta love the hour long fights , of course the way he holds it .

Edited by fishing4tails

But seriously, you can't knock the guy.... it's his first Ski, and he likely genuinely thought it was that big.... with the excitement of the battle, the minutes it took to land likely felt like an hour to him...

I've been guilty of the same thing! You get so excited your brain stops working :) 70lbs or not, that's a nice fish.

The fish could have been over 40 pounds. Can't really blame the dude though for being excited. He's a newbie and just learned a very valuable lesson. Never take your enthusiasm to the press...it'll haunt him for the rest of his life. For the sake of this thread though, I'm glad he forgot the net and remembered the camera instead of the other way around. :D

He didnt grow up to lie , do we have to kill eatch fish to make you guys stop yapping . dare anyone here to produce a fish of even 3/4 of those proportions, wow so many haters !!????

what?

it was 54 inches... my friend boated a fat 52incher this fall that weighed about 40lbs... you actually think a 54 inch musky can weigh almost 50% more...

i think this is a bit of a prank... or the guy is a bit new to the game

Edited by Musky Mike

I have compared some musky pics and have acaught a few good sized musky, I would say its in the 54-58inch range... Looks bigger than this one and its a 54 similar hold and angles...

70 pounds? I don't think so, but if its over 54" it could very well be over 50 pounds. Stuff like this does happen, my cousin caught a big ling on nippising and they took a picture and tossed it down the hole. They weighed it and it turned out it was a half pound under the ontario record ling according to his spring scale. They had no idea at the time.

http://www.musky.ca/muskiestore/mattmuskiebig.jpg

I find it funny that most news stories need to go through vigorous fact checking, yet anyone can send a picture of a big musky and claim it weighs a ton and the paper will print that story no questions asked.

Regardless it is a catch of a lifetime, and at least he tried to release it.