Lots of Baby Muskies!

Pigeontroller

Myself and a few other Muskies Canada members had the privledge of touring the Hatchery at Sir Sandford Fleming College in Lindsay this morning. There are about 1800 healthy fingerlings (7-10 inches) ready to be stocked into Lake Simcoe in the next few weeks. Here are some pics, hope you enjoy.

Flemming_Hatchery_Nov_2011_017.jpg

Flemming_Hatchery_Nov_2011_014.jpg

Flemming_Hatchery_Nov_2011_013.jpg

Flemming_Hatchery_Nov_2011_011.jpg

Flemming_Hatchery_Nov_2011_007.jpg

The mascott fish!

Flemming_Hatchery_Nov_2011_002.jpg

A nice one about 9"

Flemming_Hatchery_Nov_2011_001.jpg

Placing a wire tag under the skin...

Oh so neat. That aquarium shot just hit me with deja vu.

I had one about 1/3 that size in my fish tank many many years ago. I found it in a batch of minnows I bought at the old Dixie Sports and brought it home with me after a days fishing.

It sure was the coolest fish I ever had next to peacock bass. A little flighty in the tank but after I filled in some of the tank with more wood and fake plants it was right at home. Fed it feeder guppies and trout worms.

Edited by Fang

Maybe they could at least keep them until they are big and strong enough to fend for themselves,I don't know if that's possible,but they seem quite small to take on the world/lake.

Well, they're much larger than they would be if they were wild born...Apparently thats the best size for them to 'imprint', meaning return and spawn, when they are stocked at yearling size (10-12") they are much less likely to spawn. The idea here is to restore the native Muskellunge.