Ice fishing is almost upon us.

Roy

I'm curious to know how many of you use your GPS during the soft water season to mark way points that are likely to hold fish during the hard water season. The GPS is an ideal tool for that but I wonder how many think to mark them and write notes to help you while out on the ice.

Don't know what kind of GPS/Sonar unit you have but my Lowrance LMS 520C unit records the date, time and water depth when I enter that waypoint in....I can also (and do many times) change the waypoint number to a name and enter a icon for that spot...my perch spots have a several small fish icon while my walleye spot icon is a much larger single fish.

I wouldn't go on Eire without my GPS unit.

Hope this helps,

Bob

i did this before i had navionics on my iphone...

i marked a patch of rocks in the summer... set up my friends ice shack on it during hardwater...

we were the only ones (that i knew of) that were consistantly catching eyes...

now with navionics on my iphone... i dont have to mess around as much... no need to drill 10 holes before you hit the right depth... i just walk out till i hit the right contour line and sit down...

I'm curious to know how many of you use your GPS during the soft water season to mark way points that are likely to hold fish during the hard water season.

Roy, I've been more inclined to do the opposite. Usually when I am on fish near ice out I can hit those same waypoints when the lakes opensup and still get them. An example of this is Whities on Simcoe.

As Bill M said. I never hit the ice with out a GPS, even if just for safety reasons. I've been turned around once in a freak blizzard, that scared me enough for this lifetime.

Edited by Harrison

Roy, I've been more inclined to do the opposite. Usually when I am on fish near ice out I can hit those same waypoints when the lakes opensup and still get them. An example of this is Whities on Simcoe.

As Bill M said. I never hit the ice with out a GPS, even if just for safety reasons. I've been turned around once in a freak blizzard, that scared me enough for this lifetime.

Never on the ice without my GPS but don't forget a good old compass. Batteries/electronics can fail.

As for marking spots, do it all year long for return visits anytime of the year.

yeah much easier marking new spots in the summer

you don't have to drill a new hole to find the spot on a spot

Drill a hole maybe 6inches down and fill with water. Put your transducer in it and it will go right through the ice :) Quick and dirty way to see the bottom without all the work.

I should get a GPS.. Actually, I do have a really old eTrek, but it is for trails mostly, and has no maps, just looks like an etch-a-sketch with a couple icons here and there. I guess I could make limited use of it, but with Christmas coming I'd be interested in inexpensive suggestions..

Never on the ice without my GPS but don't forget a good old compass. Batteries/electronics can fail.

As for marking spots, do it all year long for return visits anytime of the year.

I just take a back up GPS with me

oh wait both died when I was on temagami ..never mind

I'm curious to know how many of you use your GPS during the soft water season to mark way points that are likely to hold fish during the hard water season. The GPS is an ideal tool for that but I wonder how many think to mark them and write notes to help you while out on the ice.

Yup, it works great. Got us on a couple of spots last winter that we could've spent an hour or more searching, drilling, test jigging to find. We have a new hump from last summer to try this winter.

I can't say I've even done that before..

I do have lots of spots marked on the GPS with notes on what part of the season they are best, and how many fish I've caught there.

But I've never marked a spot in the summer, with the intention of going back in the winter.

I should get a GPS.. Actually, I do have a really old eTrek, but it is for trails mostly, and has no maps, just looks like an etch-a-sketch with a couple icons here and there. I guess I could make limited use of it, but with Christmas coming I'd be interested in inexpensive suggestions..

They work and will get your butt back in the right direction in a whiteout.

Maps aren't really a necessity because you are mostly going to use it to return to waypoints you marked.

You should either use the one you have or get one and get in the habit of making a waypoint where you parked your car before you walk out. It can save you if you are stuck in a blizzard or if for whatever reason you are out on the ice past sunset.

I have never used GPS for fishing or land travel.

It would seem to me that marking fish in open water would not relate to winter conditions. ie.water temp/light levels/weather conditions/weed lines/noise.

To say that GPS is not usefull would be stupid on my part. I just feel that fish move and act different in winter conditions as oposed to other seasons .

Larger lakes such as Simcoe probably wouldnt be affected as much as a small lake by ice conditions or weather during winter months.

So I do plan on getting a GPS unit for this winter but its mainly based on safety more so than nailing fish.

I like the thrill of a blind hunt.

Shure its more work but what a RUSH :thumbsup_anim:

GOOD LUCK AND PLAY SAFE ON THE ICE :thumbsup_anim:

Drill a hole maybe 6inches down and fill with water. Put your transducer in it and it will go right through the ice :) Quick and dirty way to see the bottom without all the work.

Don't bother drilling.

Clear the snow, put 'ducer on the ice and a splash of water is all you need.

You can't shoot through white ice though as there are too many air bubbles.

I have been able to shoot through over 5' of clear ice and mark fish doing it. :thumbsup_anim:

Yep .. my Lowrance H2O comes out with me ... especially on new lakes or when trekking through the bush to a 'back lake' huntin for specks

Also comes in handy finding the 'route' in on those seasonal roads when some are not always well marked or plowed.