Conserving our jobs

bigugli

A physics teacher in high school, once told the students:

That while one grasshopper on the railroad tracks wouldn't

Slow a train very much, a billion of them would.

With that thought in mind, read the following, obviously

Written by a good Canadian:

Shopping in Lowe's the other day for some reason and just for the fun of it I was looking at the hose attachments .They were all made in China . The next day I was in Home Hardware and just for the fun of it I checked the hose attachmentsThere. They were made in Canada!

Start looking........

In our current economic situation, every little thing we

Buy or do affects someone else - even their job.

A quote from a consumer:...my grandson likes Hershey's candy. I noticed, though, that it is marked made in Mexico now. I do not buy it any more.

My favourite toothpaste, Colgate, is made in Mexico now. I have switched to Crest. You have to read the labels on everything.

This past weekend I was at Wal-Mart. I needed 60W

Light bulbs. I was in the light bulb aisle, and right next

To the GE brand I normally buy was an off-brand labelled,

"Everyday Value". I picked up both types of bulbs and

Compared the stats - they were the same except for the

Price. The GE bulbs were more money than the Everyday

Value brand but the thing that surprised me the most

Was the fact that GE was made in MEXICO and the

Everyday Value brand was made in - get ready for this

- Canada at a company in Ontario . Their Equate

Products are also made in Canada , and are very good.

Just to add my own experience on buying Made In Canada ,

I was looking for canned mushrooms that were made in

Canada and could never find any, so I would buy fresh.

But a miracle happened, when in our Foodland store

I found Ravine mushrooms - made in Canada with a

Little red maple leaf on can. A little more money but

When I opened the can I looked at mushrooms that look

Like real mushrooms, not a mushroom that looks like

It was cleaned in bleach.

Another product I no longer buy is Del Monte or Dole cannedFruit. Del Monte is packaged in Taiwan and Dole is now a product of China.Why should we pay for their fruit when our growers are left withFruit rotting on the trees. E.D. Smith is still made in Canada buy their's, at least you will know what is in it and have some quality control.So throw out the myth that you can not find products you

Use every day that are made right here . My challenge

To you is to start reading the labels when you shop for

Everyday things and see what you can find that is made

In Canada . The job you save may be your own or your

Neighbour's'!(Your children & grandchildren, also)

Start buying Canadian, one

Light bulb at a time! Stop buying from overseas companies!

(We should have awakened two decades ago.)

Let's get with the program. Help our fellow Canadians

Keep their jobs and create more jobs here in Canada.

If President Obama insists on a 'Made in America '

Policy, which is commendable of him, to support

American workers, we should do likewise.

BUY CANADIAN! Read the labels.

Support Canadian jobs.

I put this up because of what I see at the farmers markets. We have legit farmers growing good stuff in our very backyards. At the same time, we have jobbers/pretend farmers, selling cheap produce from all around the globe, claiming it's Canadian.

Yes it is cheaper. No it is not fresh. It was picked unripened and shipped thousands of miles over the space of a week. Some produce will be gassed to colour and ripen fruit surfaces. There is little flavour or nutrient value in such produce. Most of these 3rd world producers are still using pesticides which we banned decades back. Nasty chemicals like DDT, Temek, Chlordane, Mirex, etc...., are still being used regularly on crops grown in Latin America, the Caribbean and Asia. Sometimes the price you pay is not in dollars and cents.

Good post and completely accurate, boycott Walmart. Also, support the people who are on strike, if they have enough protection where they can strike and not lose their jobs they are doing us all a favour and indirectly helping our wages. There's got to be a bunch of us who don't make what were worth but don't want to risk our jobs by saying much. These guys are helping the bottom line on wage increases by setting examples of the standard wage.

Edited by SirWhite

You cannot tell me the United States or Canada does not have facility to build this car. What has happen to the Union for the U. S. and Canada Auto Workers?.

Car Company Gets U.S. Loan, Builds Cars In Finland

abcnews.go.com

With the approval of the Obama administration, an electric car company that received a $529 million federal government loan guarantee is assembling its first line of cars in Finland, saying it could not find a facility in the United States capable of doing the work. Vice President Joseph Biden heral...

Yes, I do a fair bit of label checking, especially when it comes to food. The last thing going down my cake hole is pretty much anything processed "over there". Having watched some of the programs where they "grow" some of their seafood is akin to growing it in sewage lagoons.

So true.. I'm a label checker big time. I refuse to buy from China, and find it awfully difficult to find some things. For instance I have been looking for a 3 ton floor jack for 2 months now. Every place I check is all Made In China. Napa, Crappy, Auto Pro, Wally World...not even sure why I checked there? And I'm also wondering why a Ariens snowblower in the states is 400 cheaper than here. What gives?

P.S. anyone knoe where I can get a 3 ton floor jack that aint made in China.

And I'm also wondering why a Ariens snowblower in the states is 400 cheaper than here. What gives?

Hey, that's a long way to drive a snowblower and takes a lot of gas. Usually H/D has a "pre winter" blower sale, my son got his Ariens for about $400 cheaper a couple years ago. He's quite happy with his choice.

Also, support the people who are on strike, if they have enough protection where they can strike and not lose their jobs they are doing us all a favour and indirectly helping our wages. There's got to be a bunch of us who don't make what were worth but don't want to risk our jobs by saying much. These guys are helping the bottom line on wage increases by setting examples of the standard wage.

No thanks. I will support the effort of individuals who will put in effort and make sacrifices to improve their job skills and make themselves more hireable.

Yeah and the people in Mexico are losing their jobs to China because 4 bucks an hour is too much. Bloody greedy Mexicans. Why Can't they just be happy on a dollar a day? Greedy labour is destroying the Mexican economy. Why can't we all be more like the Chinese worker? Wouldn't that be great? Anyone who complains must be lazy. I feel sorry for the business interests on Mexico having to pay all that labour to greedy lazy workers.

On a serious note, I just scored a great pair of Terra work boots made in Canada. They were no more expensive than the Terra's made in Indonesia, India, or China. They only made 50 bucks on me rather than 100. I am a label checker as well. Good on you people who do the same.