Conserving our jobs

bigugli

This topic can open a debate as to what companies you support. One poster said boycott walmart, but the average walmart has mroe locally sourced products than many of the other big box stores. Should you buy things from Canadian Tire that are made in China, or should you buy locally sourced products from walmart, even though the have questionable labour management practices?

Whenever possible I try to buy groceries from a farmers market, and I go to walmart to buy other consumer goods because I feel as though I am more likely to find products that are made in Ontario or at least Canada.

i was with you until the walmart part. lots of other places to buy light bulbs than walmart.

if you want to rant about buying canadian and protecting canadian jobs you can't in good conscience shop at walmart. buy your light bulbs at canadian tire there is a chance some of your money will stay in canada.

the chain sells almost all offshore goods, invented bully economics, whose single purpose is to destroy small stores and small producers, take them over or eliminate them.there is no better way to funnel your money straight out of the country than to shop at walmart.

People in Mexico will work for $ 4.00 an hour . Canadians want $ 25.00 an hour to pick tomatoes ,plus benefits etc etc

and probably call in sick during HARVEST season

Pay people crap wages and they won't be able to afford to buy anything, and the economy tanks. Are those $4 an hour Mexicans the driving force behind their booming economy where brand new cars and large homes are the norm? Oh, I forgot, most Mexicans are living in poverty.

If we lose many more jobs to China Canadians won't be able to afford to buy the cheap goods produced over there. Then things will gradually switch and we'll become the cheap labour providers and they will be the rich consumers.

i was with you until the walmart part. lots of other places to buy light bulbs than walmart.

if you want to rant about buying canadian and protecting canadian jobs you can't in good conscience shop at walmart. buy your light bulbs at canadian tire there is a chance some of your money will stay in canada.

the chain sells almost all offshore goods, invented bully economics, whose single purpose is to destroy small stores and small producers, take them over or eliminate them.there is no better way to funnel your money straight out of the country than to shop at walmart.

How can you argue that the money will stay in canada if the products you are buying are made in China. While the profits are going to Canadians mostly, all the manufacturing jobs are going overseas. Walmart has many faults as a corporation, but one of this things that it does well is source locally produced merchandise.

Unfortunately in our economy it seems like we need to choose between the lesser of two evils. In my case I would rather buy a locally sourced product from a foreign retailer than a product sourced overseas from a Canadian retailer.

From Wikipedia: Canada's beer production has been mainly under the control of foreign multinationals. By the end of 2006, nearly 90% of beer sales was of product brewed domestically under license from non-domestic corporations. American beers brewed under license dominate much of the market. For example Budweiser is brewed under license in Canada by Labatt's and Coors Light by Molson.The market in Canada for domestic beer is dominated by Labatt, Molson and Sleeman, all foreign-owned companies. The largest Canadian-owned brewer, Moosehead Brewery, controls about 5.5% of the Canadian market.

-Moosehead beer is $39.50 for 24 bottles. -Fully Canadian

-Creemore is $42.95 for 24 bottles. - owned by Molson which merged with Coors.

-Steamwhistle is $43.95 for 24 bottles.

-Keiths is $39.95 for 24 bottles.- owned by Labatt which is owned by Anheuser-Bush.

-Muskoka premium lager is $43.95 for 24 bottles.

-upper canada is $29.95 for 24 bottles. - Owned by Sleeman, which is owned by Molson

Canadian beer is EXPENSIVE! I usually spend 27-32 per case.

Moosehead is our largest fully Canadian brewing company... so I guess I'll have to learn to enjoy it and drink it modestly. haha

Thanks for the reminder Bigugli. I wish it were easier to buy Canadian.

Edited by Rod Caster

Holy Crap! You found light bulbs that were actually made here! I looked in several stores a few weeks ago and could only find Chineses bulbs and gave in.

Yes the canned fruit even with Dole or DelMonte labels is from China, we no longer buy it.

And not only that but Bicks Pickles is about to close in Dunnville, Bicks will now be made offshore. Speaking of that, have you noticed that a lot of pickles come from India now? I won't buy those either.

Check this out puddicombs Winona

They have began to sell their version of Perry which is a pear cider from Wales. I bought a 6 pack of it a few weeks ago. First sip was hmmm, second was this is different, third sip and the bottle was gone. Pretty dam good stuff. The reason why they have developed their own? To use up the pears that are no longer going to the fruit canners because they all are buying their fruit in China and Puddicombe wanted to do something with the fruit.

Two thumbs up to them for trying when big business turned their backs on them.

Let me recount a conversation I heard when visiting an aunt in Florida many years ago when her neighbour paid a visit. He said, "I wanted to buy an American made car, won't buy foreign, so I buy a new Plymouth. Turns out the rotten thing is made in Canada! Am I ever P'd off!"

I still chuckle at that even years later.

Buy homemade as often as you can. Funny thing BigUgly, I started a thread about this a few years ago and got slammed for encouraging people to buy products from our own shores because I "Couldn't see the bigger picture of open trading." I hope that this thread will endure as you intended.

My gm truck is made in Mexico and my wife's Honda civic is made in Alliston Ontario, go figure

This would be true if the Honda was built in North America and not assembled here.

A large part of the parts to assemble the Honda still come in from offshore.

Where in Canada and especially in Ontario,Where 1 in 25 jobs have to do with the car part industry.

My gm truck is made in Mexico and my wife's Honda civic is made in Alliston Ontario, go figure

This would be true if the Honda was built in North America and not assembled here.

A large part of the parts to assemble the Honda still come in from offshore.

Where in Canada and especially in Ontario,Where 1 in 25 jobs have to do with the car part industry.

Honda originally had it's sights set on building the Alliston plant in the Sault. It was close to the US border. It had direct shipping access at the Seaway. There was a steel mill desperate for contracts to produce steel for Honda. The city fathers weren't willing to do a deal to attract Honda and the Sault lost out.