Ice Fishing transportation?

registerfly

okay, I'm cheap and not really sure if ice fishing is my cup of tea. Went out maybe 3-4 times last season with moderate success, mainly perch and not that many jumbos at Simcoe.

before I invest anymore $ into something like a used atv/snowmobile to get out "there" to set up camp, wanted to know if it is really necessary to get out that far to fish? I know it depends where you fish and

structure etc. but are there any businesses that provide transport service to and from general spots?

And lastly, has anyone considered using their bike ie mountain bike with studded tires to pull their sled to their favourite spots? I know it sounds out there but I've got the tires and ride trails all winter long.

Got the hut on order and was able to find my favourite buddy heater so all set aside from the long walk out.

if simcoe is your target lake

and you want to get to the best spots as the season progresses, then you need a snowmobile to keep on top of them

also if you have all the toys and a hut. it sure makes it easier to move them

an 8hp icewalker might do the trick, but won't know till this winter

And lastly, has anyone considered using their bike ie mountain bike with studded tires to pull their sled to their favourite spots? I know it sounds out there but I've got the tires and ride trails all winter long.

That may be okay for bare ice, but, wait til you get a foot of snow or 6+ inches of slush, you'll be cursing a blue streak or two.

I don't own any form of transportation with the exception of my two legs and a plastic sled to hold my gear. I primarily fish Simcoe for whitefish/trout and typically have to walk out up to 3km to reach 80+ FOW. Some years we do amazingly well, other years not as well as those that can travel much further out and quickly move to new locations. So, you don't NEED the transportation to be successful by any means, but it's really NICE to have.

IMO, a floater suit and a sonar/flasher are far more important than an ATV/sled unless you have difficult making the trek on foot.

I've also considered some type of mountain bike, or a three wheel bike, with studded tires. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but it would be tough going on some days.

Edited by FishLogic

Depends where on Simcoe you go, I target mainly cooks bay from the Gilford side and it can be walked pretty easy. They do run an Ice Taxi service there also but not sure what it costs. Quads are nice, sleds are better, but the best is friends with quads or sleds...LOL

RED

the older I get and the more toys I get the harder it is to get all my toys out onto the ice

it's not the walk out because most times you walk out a bit and fish, then move out a bit farther, then farther and farther

then you are done for the day and realize you have a 5 mile walk in with dragging a sled or hut.....having help sure is better then walking

3 miles out and a blizzard starts a quicl 3 minute ride in is better then a hour walk in, in a blizzard

exactly what I am waiting for, my buddy to get a sled or quad.

Not too gung ho about driving out there but would depend upon the launch locations.

I think this year I'll try towing with my commuter bike and get the feel for the conditions. Last year most of the days I went out there was little snow, only ice so that would be fine. It's the 6" of fresh or loose stuff I really want to test out.

thanks

Hey Fly

The biggest challenge for the Mountain Bike is deep snow,

So!!

Your best travel time is Early season re First Ice little Snow or after a mid season thaw and Freeze.

Or give me a PM, and if I am going out I will haul your butt out there!!

Rick

not the ice walker I was talking about

guess meant Snow&Icewalker

details at first ice on cooks bay

:whistling:

:whistling:

Or, you could do what I do and drive my truck out there.

My vid of me an Chuck, are on my pooched drive. It was a blast. :canadian:

Hey Fly

The biggest challenge for the Mountain Bike is deep snow,

So!!

Your best travel time is Early season re First Ice little Snow or after a mid season thaw and Freeze.

Or give me a PM, and if I am going out I will haul your butt out there!!

Rick

That's a sweet offer Rick. I might make you regret it LOL. Yep the deep stuff is going to be the main challenge so will definitely be avoiding it at all costs. I figure the first couple times out will be hilarious. Then when it gets nice and thick the van will be the answer

Edited by registerfly

I'm thinking the bike will be a nuisance on most days...having said that, I have nothing better to offer. I walk, but no more than 1 km each way. Last winter I found some perch spots close to shore that produced well so this year it won't even be a 1 km walk

I'm thinking the bike will be a nuisance on most days...having said that, I have nothing better to offer. I walk, but no more than 1 km each way. Last winter I found some perch spots close to shore that produced well so this year it won't even be a 1 km walk

I'm gonna fish with you Roger!!thumbsup_anim.gif

I'm gonna fish with you Roger!!

you're on! The first time I got out this past winter I did the 1 km walk because thats where all the huts were. Somebody told me try much closer to shore, forget the walk to the shantytown, and guess what, it worked! Because its a short walk I'm gonna fish in style. Got the hut, bought a Coleman this summer, gonna whip up some bacon/eggs and coffee while you drill the holes (don't worry, got the gas auger too). Only thing I don't have is a proper toboggan - see my avatar shot taken at the Simcoe GTG 7 or 8 years ago.

hey, if I knew how to update it I would. Now that picture is alsmost like an antique. That was a LONG time ago a bunch of us got together on Cooks Bay and I borrowed my neighbour's daughter's barbie sled (is it still considered borrowing if they don't know or consent?)