I need some firewood

Have a good woodstove. Got a source of wood almost free years ago but that source dried up so the woodstove is for enjoyment only now and doesn't get used too much. Ran out of wood last winter and was looking to get a bushcord this winter. Anyone out there have a source for good firewood in or around Oshawa. Aged stuff I can burn this winter. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

A number of years ago I bought from a place in Blackstock -north of you Phone: (905) 986-1977. Dont know current price but was competitive then picked up.

Since then I met a friend with a good gas splitter and take the trees off my cottage property and share the wood.

Have a good woodstove. Got a source of wood almost free years ago but that source dried up so the woodstove is for enjoyment only now and doesn't get used too much. Ran out of wood last winter and was looking to get a bushcord this winter. Anyone out there have a source for good firewood in or around Oshawa. Aged stuff I can burn this winter. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

And that my friend is why I switched to propane, By the time I bought the wood, stacked the wood, filled the stove, hauled out the ashes..... Propane worked out to be less expensive, and a whole lot easier and the fire is just as enjoyable. Sell the wood stove and buy a nice propane one. Flip a switch, fire on sit back and relax.

And that my friend is why I switched to propane, By the time I bought the wood, stacked the wood, filled the stove, hauled out the ashes..... Propane worked out to be less expensive, and a whole lot easier and the fire is just as enjoyable. Sell the wood stove and buy a nice propane one. Flip a switch, fire on sit back and relax.

Amen.

It really comes down to what you're paying for a cord of wood....if it cheap or better yet FREE (my favorite 4 letter word) then wood can be a much better choice....

One thing about at least having a wood burner is if the power goes out at least you have heat....oh, and I know many have personal generators as I...but when you whole area power is down like it happened here in Oct '06...then your generator is only good until you run out of expensive gasoline...gas stations can't pump with out electric power...we went 7 days without power... :wallbash: ...not good...but we were warm and cozy... :worthy:

I stacked a couple cords of hard wood a few weeks back and when my wife said I was working too hard and should take a break, I told her I don't think of it as work, but more as an enjoyable type of exercise.

I've always enjoyed hard physical work and hauling wood is just one more thing to do outside.

Guess it's all in the perspective. :lol:

There's a place near my work which recycles skids. I have stacks of awesome hardwood that I burn all year in my backyard and at my trailer. They put out the disassembled skids for the public to pic through. I usually grab a few hundred 4' X 3" X 3" pieces every week. Sure there's nails that you must watch for when cutting but the stuff is super dry and burns great.......and it's free.

Well, my propane fireplace works even if the hydro is off and it will keep the house comfortable down to about -20. Split seasoned firewood around these parts is $200.00 or more/face cord so he is looking at laying out $600.00+. You also pay a premium on your insurance for having a wood burning appliance, not sure how much extra that is a year but it all adds up.

Lew, I agree, it is a nice form of exercise, I did it for many years myself but CPH is still working full time so his choice would be to go fishing or stack wood on his days off. Me thinks fishing is probably his choice of exercise LOL.

CPH doesn't have a truck so hauling skids home and cutting them up probably isn't a good option especially since he lives in a densly populated neighbourhood. chainsaws/ neighbours not a good mix!

Well, my propane fireplace works even if the hydro is off and it will keep the house comfortable down to about -20. Split seasoned firewood around these parts is $200.00 or more/face cord so he is looking at laying out $600.00+. You also pay a premium on your insurance for having a wood burning appliance, not sure how much extra that is a year but it all adds up.

Lew, I agree, it is a nice form of exercise, I did it for many years myself but CPH is still working full time so his choice would be to go fishing or stack wood on his days off. Me thinks fishing is probably his choice of exercise LOL.

CPH doesn't have a truck so hauling skids home and cutting them up probably isn't a good option especially since he lives in a densly populated neighbourhood. chainsaws/ neighbours not a good mix!

Like Lew I enjoy the exercise. And when they drop it off in the driveway it only takes about 30 minutes to get it stacked up. It wouldn't cut into any fishing time at all.

You are right I don't have a truck but my VW tows my trailer just fine and I have hauled lots of wood and wooden skids home and too the cottage for burning. And in 22 years of living here I have never had an issue with firing up the chainsaw, but it doesn't happen alot.

For the amount I have a fire...2-3 times a winter tops...it would be far more expensive for me to convert over to gas or propane as I already have everything I need for a wood fire. I could not justify that cost to myself for the amount that I would actually use it.

Myself it is the whole experience of having a fire that I enjoy. Flipping a switch just wouldn't do it for me. I have always said there is 3 things I will never have in my home.An automatic garage door opener, a fake fireplace or an automatic dishwasher. So far I have broke down with the garage door opener because of Debbe's arthritis but I'm still holding firm on the other 2.

When I threw this on the board I was just hoping someone local to me had a name/number to give me of someone they used to buy there wood from. Debbe is the one who really enjoys the fire so I want to get some wood in here so my favorite pyromaniac can play with it. She is suffering from withdrawal now since we have bid the cottage farewell until May.

Like Lew I enjoy the exercise.

I must admit to cheating just a little bit CPH.

To get the wood from the end of the driveway back to the wood storage tent 100' away, I use an old tractor and trailer.

But other than that, there's plenty of good, hard slogging involved :lol:

001-2.jpg

I to enjoy the physical labor of chopping and stacking wood. I also like the smell of a burning fire. I have the wood on our lot so buying wood is out of the equation. It frustrates me to all end that insurance companies charge more for having a wood burning fireplace or in some cases wont insure you at all. We are a young family trying to save money burning wood in a safe manner. Why must we be punished.

My parents have natural gas fireplaces at their home. The reality is, we didn't and they still don't use them very much. It's not the same.

Split seasoned firewood around these parts is $200.00 or more/face cord so he is looking at laying out $600.00+.

Wow Cliff, I thought my wood was getting expensive at $285 a bush cord. Cut, split and delivered 10 feet from where I stack it. I always get mine freshly split in the spring.

Must be "city" (as in City of Kawartha Lakes) prices you're paying over there on the far side of Pigeon Lake.

For many, and hopefully my case if I plan things right for the future (getting acreage with hardwood forest for starters), burning wood is one more way to slowly get off the grid. With it you can heat your place, cook and I'm sure someone out there has made one, *could* be a fuel source for an electrical generator, which is basically what power plants are in essence, steam generators.

I must admit to cheating just a little bit CPH.

To get the wood from the end of the driveway back to the wood storage tent 100' away, I use an old tractor and trailer.

But other than that, there's plenty of good, hard slogging involved :lol:

001-2.jpg

Slugging is good for the heart.Gets the blood flowing.

LOL Lew

We use pops little tractor aswell and trailer to bring it up to the drying out spot.

k017.jpg

k016-1.jpg

k020.jpg

And when were done,well it,s time to relax.

k021.jpg

Steve if you were closer,I would have a stack of hardwood skids for ya every week.

Edited by Misfish

Steve, how ya doing bud?

I might have a line on some free firewood for ya, but you have to come and get it. Its already cut into stove lengths, but will need to be split.

Some of it might not be the best stuff going, but it will burn and serve you well for what you want it for.

Let me get in touch with the guy and see if its worth your time to come get it. We already hauled a few truck loads out of there, and its all good stuff. The price is right.....FREE!

Its close to my work....hope that's not too far!

S.

Steve, how ya doing bud?

I might have a line on some free firewood for ya, but you have to come and get it. Its already cut into stove lengths, but will need to be split.

Some of it might not be the best stuff going, but it will burn and serve you well for what you want it for.

Let me get in touch with the guy and see if its worth your time to come get it. We already hauled a few truck loads out of there, and its all good stuff. The price is right.....FREE!

Its close to my work....hope that's not too far!

S.

I'm doing just fine Shayne. Come fall I'm in my happy place chasing perch. Much like your in your happy place blasting birds :thumbsup_anim: Pinch me....did somebody say free :) I got no problem hauling my trailer up your way to get it Shayne. And I certainly don't mind splitting it. My only concern with the have to get it part is there any off roading involved that my VW just will not be able to do?

Once you find out for sure shoot me a PM. And thank you kindly for your help.

I might have a line on some free firewood for ya, The price is right.....FREE!

Shayne, did you say FREE...LOL...do you also deliver... :whistling: LOL...us Redneck's like to stay warm too... :D

Now go shoot some of those BAD BAD Birds....they need to be punished and shot before sundown.... :good:

BTW how's the season going for you ?

Wow Cliff, I thought my wood was getting expensive at $285 a bush cord. Cut, split and delivered 10 feet from where I stack it. I always get mine freshly split in the spring.

Must be "city" (as in City of Kawartha Lakes) prices you're paying over there on the far side of Pigeon Lake.

Johnie the wood guy does the same for me...cut, spring split, and dumped right near where we stack it...$250 a bush cord (up $5 from two years ago)...mostly birch and maple...also oak I think.

Edited by Beans