Heading off to Cayo Coco in 6 days.... Cuba....

Gerritt

Well I will be in Cuba next week for some much needed de-stressing.... I will be on an island off of Cuba known as "Caya Coco".... has anyone stayed on this island before? Any fishing opportunities that I should be filled in on? I will be at the Melia resort in Cayo Coco... in a Lagoon room... so I guess I could fish right from my porch (Room built on stilts in the middle of the lagoon)....

But I assume Fishing from my balcony will suck ... Soooo.... anyone been to Cayo Coco? have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance....

G.

I stayed at a different resort on the same island. There was a nice cliff right off the resort you could cast off and we caught lots of little guys on shrimp and smaller spoons. There were apparently bigger fish there but i didn't see them.

One guy would take a hobie cat (little sailboat) out and drop some shrimp in the deeper water and hooked into bigger snappers. One really big one and a shark bit it in half on it's way up....which was both scary (basically directly out from the beach) and really, really cool.

Advise you take hooks for fishing with bait, and spoons/heavier minnow baits that you can cast far.

And, don't forget to rinse out your reel after it's in the salt water.

Edited by cram

Can't give advice specific to Cuba, but I have fished in Mexico before probably under similar conditions.

Depending on the beach, just find a spot without too many people around. Talk to the chef at the buffet and get some calamari. I found it stays on the hook better than shrimp. Use a small hook and catch some small bait type fish. Cut those up (take a small folding knife in your checked baggage - won't be a problem) and use them as bait, hook through the skin and it will stay on the hook better. After you catch the bait fish, move up the hook size. Should get lots of snapper type fish and maybe a small cuda.

You can catch cudas, jacks and snapper right off your beach I used xraps but really any bait I bet would work there's tarpon there and bonefish I would look in your lagoon at night for fish ! But the shrimp from your buffet will get you fish too its fun salt water fish fight way harder !! Have fun I was there is february and will be back in december again can't wait

Dont waste your time in the Lagoon I have been to the one your at and a couple of others on cayo the minute you get there secure a moped this gives you the freedom to go anywhere long shinny stick baits work fantastic every where i would go with 30ld black wire leaders one tray and a back pack you will not get terminal gear or even lures for that matter on the island very hard to come by and extremene low quality the locals are ultra freindly and like to fish the average joe in cuba does not own a boat there are some charters that take you out in whalers inshore bring some gear for a locals line leaders hooks and such I usually end up giving away a couple hundred worth of gear each time im there and have been rewarded with some great company and some fantastic shore fishing.

Have a good time its a great island

Dont be afraid lots of island to fish the moped will get you down to spots the locals only know about.

Peter

I stayed at the Melia at a lagoon room the last time we went to cuba.. The melia is the best resort at Cayo Coco. 5 min from the airport. We spent lota time throwing bread to the fish off the balcony, lol.. it was the one time we didnt bring fishing rods... Not much for fishing around there though. My advice.. bring lots of stuff to tips the staff, they work long and hard.. but dont bring the "normal" stuff they get all the time.. bring pocketknives, baseball gloves, blond hair dye, small dollar store flasks, baseball hats.. anything canadian. and tip early and wel on your trip.. not at the end and you'll have a marvelous time...

weve been there twice now...

We stayed in a lagoon room at Melia Caya Coca. When we were there there were TONS of fish in the lagoon, some quite large.

It'd be well worth fishing imo.

When you hit the beach to your left is a very obvious rock point. I managed a few cudas and small jacks off that point.

As has been mentioned the ability to move around is key if you really want to fish seriously.

Either a moped or a car would be very helpful.

When we were there it was 90% relax mode with my better half, so fishing wasn't paramount.

On a side note that resort had the best coffee I've ever tasted.

Bring lots of US dollars in small denominations.

Cayo Coco is our destination of choice! Being so close to the airport is a big plus to us, no bumpy 90 drive to the resort. You land and 45 mins later you are beachside sipping on a beverage.

Like other have said plenty of fishing opps nearby. Pilar Beach is another option which is not far from your resort.

Here's a report from our last trip...

My link

Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions!

Enjoy your trip....we'll be back in Feb!

RJ

We stayed in a lagoon room at Melia Caya Coca. When we were there there were TONS of fish in the lagoon, some quite large.

It'd be well worth fishing imo.

When you hit the beach to your left is a very obvious rock point. I managed a few cudas and small jacks off that point.

As has been mentioned the ability to move around is key if you really want to fish seriously.

Either a moped or a car would be very helpful.

When we were there it was 90% relax mode with my better half, so fishing wasn't paramount.

On a side note that resort had the best coffee I've ever tasted.

Bring lots of US dollars in small denominations.

Ditto. Can't remember which resort I stayed at last time but pretty much the same scenario.

Tons of little cudas and snapper in the lagoons.. Great fun on light tackle!

DSC00248.jpg

DSC00252-1.jpg?t=1255922437

You also have the hwy that connects Cayo Coco to the mainland, Moron.. Lots of fishing opportunities there also. You'll need a heavier set-up for the more open water though.

Car rental is pretty cheap there so hire a local who speaks english to take you around for a day. I fished a coupla bass lakes inland too and it made for a pretty cool tour!

cheers

I really liked Cayo Coco, awesome beach and clear blue water, fishing wise, I stayed at Iberostar and saw plenty of barracuda cruising in about 8 ft of water while snorkelling, you should have a great time

I stayed their once and the beach out front was loaded with small bones. The second day we were their my buddy and I got over 30 on our fly rods. Every other time I've been to Cayo Coco I've stayed at Tryp and had a blast in the water and the resort!

Been many times. As said before,talk to the chef. You can usually get a bag of UNCOOKED shrimp for 5 bucks. Best thing to bring is spider wire to tie the shrimp to your hook. I usually bring 2 telescopic rods(heavy), a few crank baits and lots of hooks and sinkers. Braid line is a must and locals appreciate it as a tip. Cayo Guillermo has many great opportunities but find a bridge and drop a line. Have a great time!!

Edited by fishinmortician