New Boat, Maiden Voyage...and some muskie!

ccmtcanada

I have been boatless for a little bit but always had that itch to get one again. With money extremely tight, it didn't look like it was in the cards for me for this summer. That is, until I went up to visit my cousin up on Paudash Lake in July! He mentioned to me that he had a little 14 ft tinny that he'd sell me cheap. He got it for his kids about 10 years ago and they hardly ever used it. For the past few years he said it had only seen water maybe 2 or 3 times a year. He went and got the boat to show me and this is what I saw...

IMG-20110711-00522.jpg

I thought to myself...wow...it looks great! It's a 14 foot tinny...wide 68" beam, and he said he had some home made removable flooring made for it. The 30hp engine on it is more than enough power to make it boot right along in the water!

Since I got the boat for a great deal, there were a few things I could now afford to get...a fishfinder and if possible, a used bowmount trolling motor. A fellow OFNer was selling a never before used motorguide 46lb thrust foot control model that I could not pass up on! It was a great deal and included a heavy duty deep cycle battery. First order of business was to install that!

IMG-20110827-00410.jpg

I then went up to Bernie's place with a bunch of guys and stopped in at the family business. I asked Bernie's brother about boat seats and bases and he brought out a bunch of stuff. He then proceeded to knock over 50% off the price...a deal I couldn't refuse! Bernie had an old seat and base laying around the cottage and he graciously donated that to my cause. Then Fishnsled came out to the house to help me with placement and to install them. He also brought a few bases with him to see if they'd work...and they did. He also wouldn't accept any money for them! Here are some pics of the boat ready for the water. I can't thank Fishnsled, Bernie and his brother enough!

IMG-20110918-00643.jpg

IMG-20110918-00642.jpg

IMG-20110918-00641.jpg

Now that it was all ready to go, I just needed to get out on the water. Fishnsled would be my passenger on my maiden voyage! He got here at 545am this morning...we still hadn't decided on what lake we would go to. Here it is...waiting to get on the road!

01ready.jpg

We made plans in the car to go to Scugog to see about fishing the north end...but 2 minutes before we were to turn, we decide to keep on going! LOL. We ended up a little further north and launched the boat. Ahhh..it felt so good to get her in the water! I had a little trouble starting up the engine, but finally got it going. As I was priming the bulb, I noticed a pin hole leak in it...we figure an air bubble worked it's way inside and it took a little bit of work to get it through. Once it did, it fired right up and there were no issues at all for the rest of the day. On my shopping list is a new fuel line from the tank to the engine!

We were finally on our way...the 30hp motor pushed the boat along at 40km/hr. Plenty of power for a 14 foot tinny! It was overcast and cool, but a nice day to fish! There were NO other boats on this lake! Fishnsled throws a jig and twister tail on and I'm throwing some weightless presentations for bass. He caught the first fish in the new boat...this little perch! He was a little excited! LOL

IMG-20110924-00674.jpg

Because this was my boat, I warned him that it would take a little getting used to me using the trolling motor...and he complained the whole time LOL. See what it's like not being at the front of the boat??? :P

A little bit later, Fishnsled notices a cloud in the distance and says "I better put on my GORETEX rainsuit on that I got from Cabelas". I roll my eyes...look to the sky...and don't bother with my frog toggs. He then hooks into a little bass. This fish was almost lunch it seems to something big and toothy! Take a look at the scars on the side of this fish!

IMG-20110924-00675.jpg

We didn't have a lot of time out there today as my fishing partner had to leave early, so we decided to cast for some muskie. We hit the spot a few minutes later and on the first cast, I hear "Fish on!! Hit 10 feet from the boat!". A quick fight and he lands the first muskie of the day!

IMG-20110924-00677.jpg

Just as we were packing up for head back to the launch, I'm casting out a husky jerk...a last ditch effort of sorts, when suddenly I feel something pull back! It wasn't a big fish, but I was very happy to see my first muskie in the new boat!! The colours and markings on this fish were great!

IMG-20110924-00679.jpg

Well, with a successful day of fishing in the books, we headed back to the boat launch. Fishnsled silently took off his GORETEX rainsuit remarking "see how dry it kept me?" as the sun came out!

IMG-20110924-00681.jpg

Edited by ccmt

Oh Man Cliff !!! Thats one beauty of a vesselclapping.gif All tricked out nicely too. She looks like a good comfortable boat.Nice Princecraftthumbsup_anim.gif

Good on Bernie and Fishnsled for helping you outgood.gif Awesome bunc of guys on this board for sure.

Oh, Great fish to BTW.

Paul

Thanks everyone! I'm pretty excited about the boat...loving the trolling motor I have to say!

MTP...of course it's a tiller!

Rizzo...you are correct on the lure :thumbsup_anim:

I was bound and determined that the first fish wasn't going to be a panfish...so I threw bigger baits all day long. It was literally the last cast of the day on a smaller husky jerk that hooked that little guy!

That boat, motor and trailer look NEW, Cliff! Great boat, nice fish, good friend....you got it happening, dude!

There are scratches on the paint of the boat from my cousins kids scraping it along docks, but there are no leaks at all. He made the trailer himself and it's SOLID! The motor has maybe 10 hours on it! Thanks for the post Roy...I do have it "happening"...dude :thumbsup_anim:

What a great suporting cast you have! Deal after deal after deal. Like Joey said, your boat is set up perfectly.

Yep! Couldn't have done it without all involved!

Wow, sweet vessel and some great fish on the maiden voyage. Good on Will and Bernie and the others who helped you out.

Thanks Joey! Will and Bernie are great friends :thumbsup_anim:

Congrats on the new ride. Not a bad day for the maiden voyage.

Thanks! Was a great day!

nice boat and little report there ccmt! Exactly what i want in a boat :(

I know what you mean Mike...save up...you'll get there!

Sweet ride Cliff and congrats on the sweet muskie...Did you break a bottle of champagne on the bow and name it? :lol:

P.S My dad has the same St. Croix hat.LOL

Haven't named my boat yet...suggestions? Anything referencing me being "old" will not be tolerated LOL