pet goose?

GBW

Hey all.

So Monday night I go out to my garage for a smoke and as I'm standing there watching tv I hear a honk. I look down and there is a goose right beside me like he'she's begging for food like a pet. I look around and open the green bin and give it some lettuce, it wasn't interested in it. This thing was so interested in what I was doing it let me pet it. So I get it out of the garage, close the door and head off to bed.

The next morning (yesterday morning) it's out there and decides it's going to follow my wife and her friend as they go for the morning run. It flew out in front of them, then landed and waited for them to catch up and it did this over and over.

So, last night I'm walking dog and we happen to walk by the goose (I didn't see it at first) and it decides to follow us home. So I let my dog check it out on the driveway.

th_VID-20110920-00001.jpg

After a few min. of that the dog lost interest (to bad I didn't get the start of them playing in the vid). So it decided it was going to sit down and have a rest.

IMG-20110920-00017.jpg

Then it decided I was too far away from it so it came up to me in the garage (again!).

IMG-20110920-00018.jpg

After getting it out of the garage the Mrs and kids came home and decided to check it it out too.

IMG-20110920-00019.jpg

Now how do I get rid of this goose? It's been in and around the area for almost two weeks now I've been told.

When I was doing water front water testing a few years back , I"m a cival engineer specializing in storm water management , one of the people I worked with would take home any orphaned or injured gooslings we would find . He had a farm outside port perry . They would stay with him in his pond untill they were big enough to fly away , some would return now and than but they returned to the wild (if you can call a gooses life in the big smoke wild )but was funny to see these birds following him around in his yard we used to call him Father goose .

Problem solved :D I'm out there October 7th to help my daughter move just in case!

* (10-pound) goose, cleaned and trimmed with innards removed

* Sea salt

* 1 orange, quartered

* 1 lemon, quartered

* 1 apple, cored and quartered

* 2 tablespoons goose fat

* 1/2 cup scallions

* 2 tablespoons grated ginger

* 2 cups blackberries

* 1 tablespoon sugar

* 1 tablespoon soy sauce

* 2 cups Zinfandel

* 2 cups chicken stock

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Wash the goose thoroughly inside and out. Dry well with paper towels. Prick the skin with a fork or fine skewer (this helps release the fat during cooking) and generously rub all over with sea salt. Stuff the bird with the cut fruit. Tuck the wings under so they are not exposed. Add 1/2 inch water to the roasting pan and position the goose breast side down in a roasting rack. Place the pan in the oven for 45 minutes. Check the bird while it's roasting to make sure the water doesn't evaporate or the goose fat will burn. After 45 minutes, take the goose out of the oven. Turn it breast side up and prick the skin again. Carefully remove the excess fat by tilting the pan and using a baster. Add another 1/2-inch of water to the pan. Continue to roast for another 2 hours.

The goose is cooked when its juices run clear when the thigh is pierced with a skewer. If they are at all bloody, roast for a further 15 minutes and check again. To be sure the goose is cooked, insert a thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh. It should read 170 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer. Remove from the oven and let it rest for 15 minutes.

Pour out excess fat leaving about 2 tablespoons. Add the scallions, ginger, blackberries, sugar and soy sauce. Saute for 5 to 10 minutes until the blackberries begin to break up and the juices are released. Add Zinfandel and reduce by half then add the chicken stock and reduce by half again. Pass sauce through a sieve and discard the pulp. Serve with the goose.

home now and no goose. but it is raining so it might come by when I'm out for a smoke knowing my luck... <_<

I should give a can of beer that has just a bit in it to see what it does. if it goes for it it's a guy and if it honks for wine it's a girl? either way, per marinade.... :w00t:

You have been Blessed by Mother Nature!

Enjoy and (fortunatly we have the technology) take lots of pictures!

Life is short, the kids will never forget this,.

The Goose will be gone as quick as it appeared.

If not, then embrace your new friend(He/She chose you!)

It is rare if ever in ones lifetime that they can experience what you have now!!

Geese make excelent(guard dogs) and are quite protective.

Best Regards

SteveO

P.S.

Please let us know how this turns out.