fish scale recommendations?

adolson

I was looking in a few stores in my area, and there seems to be a rather large variety of scales for weighing fish. I'd like to hear from you guys if there are any you recommend.

More about my needs:

I catch mostly smaller fish, so it probably doesn't have to go much over 10-15lbs if it makes any difference in accuracy.

I think I'd prefer digital, unless there's a good reason to go with a traditional scale. I've only owned crappy spring-based scales, and they're no good unless you're trying to tell the difference between a 40lb fish and a 50lb fish.

Price doesn't matter too much, if there's a big difference, I'd pay more if I had to. I'm not in any tournaments or anything, but I'd like to be more accurate than 0.5-1lb increments if possible.

On the flip side, I'd also take anti-recommendations if there's a particular brand/model I should absolutely stay away from.

Thanks in advance!

I've had one of the Berkley digital scales for over ten years now, measures in .1 of a lb increments. Still accurate within .3 of a lb. I've done side by side testing with our certified scale at work.

Received it as a Christmas gift, so not sure of the cost...think they are under $40?

Find it much better than any of the old spring scales I had.

I've owned more than a few scales since I was about 10 years old... and have NEVER weighed a fish. Yes I've caught some... just never see a need.

I don't weigh them very often, probably why the battery is still good on the one I have. Had to weigh the sheepshead I got out with Lloyd last Thanksgiving weekend just cause it was such a pig.

I've owned more than a few scales since I was about 10 years old... and have NEVER weighed a fish. Yes I've caught some... just never see a need.

I'm a computer programmer, so I seem to have a natural inclination to care about numbers.

I track most of the fish I catch in a spreadsheet so I can look at the data and analyze it to hopefully learn more.

I'm odd, I guess.

I never use a scale though I've had a few in the past. There's really no need. If I was to buy one though, I would get a chatillon. Most accurate and no batteries. A little pricey. You can buy a cheap scale as well but that kind of defeats the purpose eh? Length and girth will get you close to cheap scale weight and might even be a little more accurate.

I'm a computer programmer, so I seem to have a natural inclination to care about numbers.

I track most of the fish I catch in a spreadsheet so I can look at the data and analyze it to hopefully learn more.

I'm odd, I guess.

You can dump length and girth in a spreadsheet as well and you'll even have more numbers to play with. Bonus! :)

I'm odd, I guess.

Not odd at all. To each their own. Pretty tough to beat a 30 or 50lb berkely digi scale.

My concern with the traditional "hang em" scales, would be damage to the fish. It's easy to hook into a gill, or with bigger fish, damage the jaw bone if it thrashes.

Having said that, I have a Berkley digital, was always pretty accurate, but haven't used it in years.

One way to avoid the jaw hang, get yourself some sort of fish bag to weigh the fish in and subtract the weight of the bag.

I'm another one that doesn't really see the purpose in weighing average sized fish. If your fishing a tourney or perhaps catch a possible PB I spose it makes sense but I never did understand guys weighing 2 pound pickeral or 3 pound bass :dunno:

To each their own though :lol:

Never weighed a fish in my life except at the supermarket..... if i was an analytical type guy I would record length and girth any unusual markings, tags etc. To me weight doesn't mean too much as a fish's weight can vary a lot depending on the time of year....just sayin'

You can dump length and girth in a spreadsheet as well and you'll even have more numbers to play with. Bonus! :)

Yeah, I track the length using my Rod Rule decal. Tough to wrap my rod around a fish, though. I could use a string or something, but I never remember to. Half the time I forget to measure length as it is, haha.

Well, I guess I don't need a scale to measure the pathetically small fish I catch after all..

Digital scales are just cheapo spring scales with a digital readout(same crap for more money)...............chatillon is only way to go

I'm not complaining when mine is within .3 (or less) of a lb, verified to a government certified scale.

Like I said though, I don't use it alot, so who knows, with increased use it could become "loosey-goosey". :)

Weiging fish usually will cause damage and sometimes death, the larger the fish the more harm it will cause, also lip hook hanging bass off a weigh beam to find which one is bigger for the weighin damages bass at a 2 to 1 rate, for the fishes sake do a quick measurement preferably in the water and guesstimate the weight from your measurements the fish will thankyou, and you will become quite good and accurate at fish weights with practice.

Hey Dana,

I can't say enough good things about the new 15lb Rapala Touch Screen Digital Tournament Scale. Accurate within +/- 1oz. Display and save your top 8 fish, cumulative totals, etc.

Best thing I like is the "clamp". No more using the meat hook. Quick, easy and minimal damage (if any at all.)

First full season using one - two thumbs up for sure.

http://www.rapala.com/products/tools/touch_screen_scale/

Good Fishing,

Justin

After reading up on the Chatillon's, I told myself if I ever buy another scale, that'll be the one. Have a rapala digital...somewhere....it's weighed a few fish....but like Roy says, I find length/girth more impressive and more accurate.

You could have a seriously badass spreadsheet once you factor in length/girth....track the fattest times of the year....different formulas (formulae?) for different species....hooo doggy!

Like a few others mentioned, I'm not a fan of weighing fish. Who really cares if that Smally you caught weighed 4lbs, 14oz. or 5lbs. 3oz.? You could easily get that kind of spread with most spring scales. Length, girth (if you must) and a photo will tell the story of just how big that fish really was and should be able to give you a weight just as accurate, or perhaps even more so, than a spring scale.