Confidence in Lure

manjo39

A lures got to start somewhere either you heard it was a good lure or you caught fish with it so their has to be some kind of confidence to tie it. I usually find I will tie on a rubber bait in an unknown color to see if it is the color of the day though.

Art

I tinker with baits all the time and sometimes try really odd presentations. Sometimes they look good or sound good in theory, other times not so much.

Turns out that some really "ugly" presentations work at times, and before catching fish on them, I would say I had little confidence in them working.

But when something pays off, thats the fun part.

A pretty good example of this would be a slow death rig for walleye. The baits spinning and looks completely unnatural (when using minnows), but man, sometimes it works so darn well

Well, I don't want them to loose my confidence lures :dunno:

:clapping:

I was fishing for pike once and we couldn't get into a thing. So I got bored and started trying on just about every lure in my box. I tied on a suick that I got as part of a trade and threw it in the water. I reeled it in not knowing how to use it and thought this is a stupid lure lol. Figured one more cast, this time I'd try to give it jerks and see what happens. Threw it out jerked it twice then bam! A pike came up and smoked it.. The last thing I was expecting was to get a hit on it but it ended up being the only lure that produced for us that day.

Other then that I can't really think of a time I got a fish on a lure I didn't have confidence in.

They are usually a last resort for me....and to be honest, I probably don't give them enough time in the water to really test them out. Handing them to someone who is neutral, or who thinks they'll work, is often a good way to get a bit of a boost. Once you see someone catch on them....it's easier to use them.

Hmmm....maybe we should have a non-confidence swap...dig out the lures we don't use and trade'em....

When my usual go to's arent even getting a sniff I will start trying the ones I have no confidence in. Its amazing how often they will produce. Next time my first choice is cold, Im on to the alterntive. Gives me a good excuse to go to the tackle shop..

They are usually a last resort for me....and to be honest, I probably don't give them enough time in the water to really test them out. Handing them to someone who is neutral, or who thinks they'll work, is often a good way to get a bit of a boost. Once you see someone catch on them....it's easier to use them.

Hmmm....maybe we should have a non-confidence swap...dig out the lures we don't use and trade'em....

I definately Agree. I've lent friends non confindence lures and had them catch fish off them too.

I'll often also start a day casting non confidence baits so I dont end up not catching anything on a confidence bait.

Just wondering ive bought a few Japanese cranks and I'm not sure if they give me more confidence in casting a better quality bait of mrake me more afraid to cast it into fish holding structure.

How about anyone else?

This spring, I decided to take a really cheap crank bait, strip the paint off it, and tinker with the coloring. I used some neon glow in the dark paint from walmart (cost a buck), painted the lure, then added some horrendous eyes and covered it in shiny nail polish, then clear coat. It was so horrible looking words can't really describe it.

I went and tried it out, and caught bass after bass for an entire weekend. It outpeformed many of my fav. lures, like DT series cranks from Rapala, X-raps, flat raps etc.

I had zero confidence in that lure before using it. Now it's been repainted and replaced the hooks 2-3 times, and its still catchin fish. Many times it's now the first outta the box when I'm cranking for shallow bass.

May182011120.jpg

Yuck! whistling.gif