Thoughts on a new combo?

GBW

Hey all.

I have been wanting to get a decent/good spinning combo for some time now and I would like your thoughts on the following. Keep in mind that I'm not out to break the bank and the odds are rather good that at some point in time my 4 or 7 year old kids might drop it off the rod holder and might end up stepping on it too. That and or my wife breaking it in the van or car door, again... :wallbash:

So, for the rod I was thiking of the Shimano 7' Compre CPS-70M2B with a Stradic FI ST-2500FI reel.

This will be an all around rod for worms, drop shot and jigs.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Geoff

This is a great Combo. I just bought this combo last weekend at Gagnon to replace a 20yr old Berkely speed tip. made the trip to the Shwa just for these

Tried it out on the weekend, the reel is a dream. Spins super sensitive, comes with an extra spool, drag is great on it and it feels rock solid. The only caveat I have is to use the supplied gear lube before use. A couple of drops in the maintenance port and you are good to go.

The rod is supersensitive (best I have used) I also like the cutout on the fore handle. It lets you feel every little rock, nibble and the action of your lure.

I have 125yds of 10lb Berkely fused crystal fireline with about 40yds of 8lb mono as filler on the bottom. Tip to pass along for this line, I spooled the reel, took of the spool and let warmish/hot water from the tap to rince over the line for about 3 - 4 minutes.

IMO you can't go wrong:thumbsup_anim:

sounds like a great setup. I LOVE the stradics! You should check out the st croix bass mojo rods. They are great with 5 yr warranty on them!

The Compre is similarly priced and has a lifetime warranty

Nice setup. I love my compre. I just got a stradic as well and think it's great.

Just a heads up! The current Compre (as well as Convergence, Clarus, Crucial) has been discontinued. If you want a model with cork handle, get it now. All the rods coming out in the fall have had their blanks bumped up one level of graphite, but all handles on the bass rods will be EVA. As well, the Stradic FI has also been discontinued, in favor of the new Stradic FJ. Make sure if you're buying what's in stores now, you don't pay full price.

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/rods/freshwater/Compre_Bass_Spinning.html

http://fish.shimano....s_Casting0.html

http://fish.shimano....2011_reels.html

Edited by bdox

Thanks all, looks like I'll be getting a new toy soon then.

bdox, I noticed the changes but thanks. others might not have seen it yet, cheers.

Now I just have to wait and see what kind of deals I can get... :unsure:

I forget which Compre model(s), but Le Baron had some on sale for $40 on their site when I checked a couple days back. I'm guessing it's some of the old stock that's going away, but it could be worth looking at. That's almost Ugly Stik prices..

I've got almost the same set-up, except a one piece with an extra fast tip and I think my Stradic is the FH model (baby blue).

It's been a great combo for just what you mentioned, primarily worming, drop-shotting, tube-dragging, medium weight jigging...

If you are going to spend $ 150 + on a reel why would you put it on a $40 rod ?

I would suggest something a little higher end like some of the St. Croix rods. Or go with a higher end rod and a mid range spinning reel.

This rod was $120 retail. It may be on closeout for $40 but in no way shape or form would I call it low end.

thanks all.

msp, the clear out rod's are $40 now and that is only on the over stock items. the rest are still $100+ and so are the new ones. So, I won't be strapping a $150 reel to a $40 rod, unless I get one at a clear out price... ;)

Hey Geoff,

Justin Beiber just came out with a new line of fishing gear. Your girls will love you for it!

ahhh, ummm, errrr, NO! I take it you know this Simon cause they have a Trout and Salmon version out too? :w00t:

BTW they are selling berkley NANO fill at canadian tire for 15 bucks. it's there new (mono?)

Thanks! I have been reading about that line now and thinking it was going to be my next line. I hear that you must use caution and wet the line when you tie a knot too.

I had the Stradic 2500FI (white) for a while and loved it. Then my 8 year old dropped it into 17 fet of murky water. I have just replaced it with the 4000FE (still white) and cant wait to try it out. The 2500 was paired up with a Shimano Sensilite 6'6"rod. I am now in the market for a new rod to pair up with the new to me Stradic. I also picked up a sweet Quantum Catalyst PTI that I will have to pair up. My favourite rod of all time is my old Berkley Bicepts. Maybe it will pair up nice for now.

Thanks! I have been reading about that line now and thinking it was going to be my next line. I hear that you must use caution and wet the line when you tie a knot too.

If you go to Berkely website, they tell you to use a Double Palomer for this line. Looks easy enough to tie.