Private Water???

audio_mad

We were fishing at Cook's Bay yesterday and tried some docks. All of a sudden an owner of a dock showed up and threatened to call the cops if we don't disappear within 2 minutes, the guy was super aggressive and claimed we need not to get closer that 300ft to his dock because 300ft of water in Simcoe (straight from his dock) is his private property indicated in his survey. As far as I know water is public, he begged to differ. Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a private water??? On a separate note, we were not even casting under his dock, just working the weeds about 12-15 feet from his dock.....

Option 1: Tell him you know he's full of it,and encourage him to call the cops because it is illegal to harass an angler who is legally fishing.

Option 2: Just continue fishing and act like you can't hear him. Video tape him jumping up and down like a 3 year old who isn't getting he's way and post it on the net so we can all laugh it him.

Option 3: Tell him he's full of it, but move on. Life's too short to worry about trying to correct every moron who is talkin' out his :asshat: .

Option 1: Tell him you know he's full of it,and encourage him to call the cops because it is illegal to harass an angler who is legally fishing.

Option 2: Just continue fishing and act like you can't hear him. Video tape him jumping up and down like a 3 year old who isn't getting he's way and post it on the net so we can all laugh it him.

Option 3: Tell him he's full of it, but move on. Life's too short to worry about trying to correct every moron who is talkin' out his asshat.gif .

I like Option 2 thumbsup_anim.gif

He has probably had a bad experience with anglers in the past, pitching under his dock.Maybe scratched his boat, or left a hook somewhere on his dock.Not everyone who fishes is polite and respectful like all of us in here.

I would have said sorry for disturbing you sir, we will be gone in just a moment. Then when he turns to go, flip him the birddevil.gif

But thats just meangel.png

Not worth it to raise a stink, especially with an aggressive property owner even if they have no foot to stand on. They probably know they don't own the land and are just making that comment to get you to move on.

Confrontations are the reason fishermen get a bad name, that's not good for our sport.

Best just to not respond and move on.

I know of a few privately owned chunks in Ontario. Personally, life's too short to start bickering with someone who thinks he owns the water. Just smile, wish him a fine day and move on. From a legal standpoint though, without signage, his stand is unenforceable.

Edited to add: Just saw Dutch's post. You're right on the money.

Chessy is correct. There are such things as "water lots" on some Ontario lakes. I once had to survey one ( install the on-shore monumentation ie: iron bars ) for one on Lake Minisinakwa in Gogama when I worked for an OLS in Timmins in the late 60's. I believe that one also extended about 300 ft into the lake. I believe they are meant primarily to permit tourist type development such as fishing camps and the like. I also believe you have to have a heck of a lot of political pull to ever get one.

Well, my understanding is that: "It is illeagel to unauthorized post or restrict access to any navigatable water way in Ontario and the fine for doing so is $150.00". I would inform him of this and ask him to please call the cops because you will ask that he be charged with that and harassment! Would you like me to dial the number for you sir? :whistling:

I've been in similar situations. I just keep fishing and tell them to call the police. Say nothing else, just keep fishing. Either the cops never come, or they come and ask you kindly to leave to avoid incident.