Please pay for my kids sports

I also refuse a straight handout to support sports.

Quite a few years ago I took over a scout troop in my hometown. It was needing an infusion of funding to carry on.

We virtually had nothing. No tents or equipment or a place to gather.

So to keep the young fellows busy we built a canoe and raffled it off. It was a great way to teach them some skills and make a few bucks in the process.

We earned enough to keep us going for three years.

The next year we built a motorized go-kart. None of those wussie ones that you need to coast down a hill. :lol:

That's great Bernie and I guess all that I am trying to say.............show them how to earn them money rather that teach them to hold out their hands...............

I was one of those kids standing outside of the LCBO to raise money for my GTHL hockey team a few years back. I remember seeing how positive people were, often donating 2,3x what the candy was worth to support a good cause. I agree some teams take the unnecessary luxuries too far, but without generous people, athletics programs in Canada wouldn't be the same,

Edited by ctranter

Little kids don't need to go to Cuba to play baseball.

There's a difference between supporting kids in sports that need it and supporting kids for unnecessary luxuries like trips to Cuba.

There are better ways to help out kids that actually need the support.

Two kids down the road from me, a 12 year old boy & his 8 year old sister, took pledges both last year and again this year to shave their heads bald to raise $$$$ for cancer.

Picked up a cool $5000 this year :thumbsup_anim:

Two kids down the road from me, a 12 year old boy & his 8 year old sister, took pledges both last year and again this year to shave their heads bald to raise $$$$ for cancer.

Picked up a cool $5000 this year thumbsup_anim.gif

worthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gif

Give me something for my donation & you will likely get somethoing if you don't some one else will, Sick Kids is the Biggest, Saved my Oldest Boy Triple By Pass the day after his 8th Birthday, Lots & Lots & Lots & Lots of trips Operation & Treatments, they couldv've got all my donations but didn't

SBK

Interesting topic, I have two who play AAA baseball, my oldest is playing elite travel ball next year we figure his cost is 12k plus our personal travel expenses, I ll be one of the coaches on the travel team and as such there is a discount I recieve for that service. My other son will play here AAA and in a loop in western NY called the boys of summer, we figure conservative 4000 Ball costs us out of pocket 12k plus we figure an additional 3k in hidden expenses and 10k in lost income opportunities

BETTER THEN SITTING BEHIND A PLAZA SMOKING POT, PLAYING X BOX ALL DAY AND HAVING THE ODD SMOKE if thats the cost we as parents make to teach them team play physically challenge themselves learn ethtics and a sport Im ok with that, so when you see amateur sports asking for a donation in part you are subsidizing thier play and maybe keeping a kid out of trouble, do we really need the 5 bucks we would donate?

The big caviate offered these days is scholerships, and for a good athelete and poor student its an opportunity, many of the baseball ones sadly are to junior CO's and amount to nadda, unless your a stud. For us its about playing at a competative level where the boys are challanged, we dont have the visions of the pro's although it was seriously nice to have a dialogue about my kid from an ohio state buckeye recruiter and one from miami and Penn.

Edited by aniceguy

Playing sports is a luxury... Not a right or necessity...

I lost my job with a 2 week old baby at home... Nobody is giving me toonies or loonies to buy diapers and formula for him... So why the heck should I donate to unessasary sports...

The big problem is parent that are in denial about their kids skills... They all think their son is the next Crosby... They probably aren't... Put your kids in house league... They learn about teamwork... You don't travel... They get exercise... And have fun... And it's a fraction if the cost... What some people spend on their kids athletics in their lifetime would be a retirement fund for some people...

Makes me sick to think the kid got to play aaa hockey for 10 years but as for university... Well sorry son... We spent all our money on hockey ...

your right about parental denial, seen it many many times where a parent see's things from rose colored glasses. Its not about the "free " education as those generally dont exist, you really need to be a stud to go there. What it is is in most cases a parent wanting to see the child succeed, once making an advanced team the rose glasses usually come off and they want and the kids want to play at a more competative level, after all who wants a kid pitching 90 in house league..

BETTER THEN SITTING BEHIND A PLAZA SMOKING POT, PLAYING X BOX ALL DAY AND HAVING THE ODD SMOKE if thats the cost we as parents make to teach them team play physically challenge themselves learn ethtics and a sport Im ok with that, so when you see amateur sports asking for a donation in part you are subsidizing thier play and maybe keeping a kid out of trouble, do we really need the 5 bucks we would donate?

I played a variety of sports growing up, with most of them being Rep level while a couple were just house league. I learned how to function effectively as a member of a team, I learned how to communicate better, but the one thing I didn't learn from sports was ethics. I learned what is right and wrong from my parents. I often learned ways to "get around the rules" from my coaches and the ridiculous parents (not all) that sometimes were "overzealous" in their screaming and support of their child. Oh, and I noticed that you said a sport you were ok with... What if your child had preferred another sport that you didn't enjoy? Would you force your child to go into that sport?

My last comment is this. If I have a couple extra bucks I'll give it to someone who I feel is deserving. Oh, and I would have definitely said something to the parents sitting idly while their children panhandled in front of a store.

I lost my job with a 2 week old baby at home... Nobody is giving me toonies or loonies to buy diapers and formula for him... So why the heck should I donate to unessasary sports...

The big problem is parent that are in denial about their kids skills... They all think their son is the next Crosby... They probably aren't... Put your kids in house league... They learn about teamwork... You don't travel... They get exercise... And have fun... And it's a fraction if the cost... What some people spend on their kids athletics in their lifetime would be a retirement fund for some people...

Makes me sick to think the kid got to play aaa hockey for 10 years but as for university... Well sorry son... We spent all our money on hockey ...

Well said...

If you can't pay, you can't play...

same way we all don't drive brand new lunds or rangers...

can't afford it, so we dont have it...

It should be 'Please pay for my kids sports, so me and the missus can get out and socialize in an aggreasive, competitive environment where my kids learn that by terrozing the other kids, and yelling obsenities at the officials, we can become winners'...Did i say we.... i mean THEY can become winners.wallbash.gif

The way i see it anyways.

Pay for our kids to go to Cuba...... while mom and dad drink umbrella drinks for a week.

That makes me want to get my kids into Baseball :w00t:

Seriously...thats a bit much

I'm all for fundraiseing but I agee with the majority here that simple panhandling is a bit tacky...its not worth having a bad day over but I wouldn't give a cent to them.

On the other side of this debate,

I grew up in a family of five....yes FIVE boys and we all played hockey.

Single income...Dad was a plummer, mom was a stay at home housewife.

Christmas, and birthdays were tight but we made it work because it was important to us.

on a 3rd side...I also Coached hockey for 6 years,

We ALWAYS made the parents aware that when it came to travel or equipment needs there was a fund made available through the city league to help underprivilaged familys, and that I would personally set them up if they needed to apply for it. We always fundraised with the usual chocolate bars, and cookies to compensate for tourney costs....

only once did I ever have a parent need assistance, and they recieved it.

I imagine most city leagues have a similar releif fund...the coaches and parents just need to do a bit of research.

My point being this...

A trip to Cuba???

Gimmee a break :dunno:

Hey, how about my boys want to go on a PREMIUM Fly In American Plan fishing trip with dear old dad but we can't afford it so please donate some of "your" money.........works for me...... :D ...by the way my boys are 26 and 28 years old.... :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Would I flip the poor kid a loonie... sure... it's not his fault his coach and parents are not teaching him to earn the money. But I totally see where you are coming from CPH.

I played competitive sports, my parents couldn't afford it so I started working at Burger King at the ripe age of 13.

Saved my sheckles and I could buy a new stick or used pair of skates when I needed it. I remember when my skates, gloves, helmet and pants were supplied for me, I felt like I won the lottery.

Before Junior our coaches organized many bottle drives, car washes, auctions, BBQs to help raise funds for extra practice ice and tournaments.

We busted our humps off the ice as much as on the ice to become better players.

My Nephew is a natural talent, playing AAA hockey at 9, and it costs my brother a fortune. I went to one practice and was blown away with the core skills these kids are taught nowadays. They are learning stuff I didn't in AAA until I was 12.

I am coaching my 5 yr old in hockey next year, looking forward to it.

Edited by Harrison

I don’t like it either but the panhandling is going on a lot more these days because some of the other means of raising money have been taken away.

Or the kids are not being supported by the parents; as in helping in a supervisory position, of a fund raising event; some parents are using the team(s) as a baby sitting service.

Here are a couple of examples I’ve run into.

I ran a Sunoco gas station for approx 20 years, at a fairly busy intersection here in London. I always allowed one group or other too hold car washes on the weekends, on my lot. That was until the city came in and told me we were no longer allowed; I thought here we go; I’ll need to get a permit for these kids to wash a few cars.

As it turned out it wasn’t them groping for a permit fee; it was to stop a commercial place of business from allowing soapy water to enter the storm sewers. That was the end of washing cars outside the shop and the liability on my part of allowing the cars inside to be washed was way too high.

As for the lack of support from parents; I went too the coaches of the two soccer teams I sponsor and asked if they were willing to deliver advertizing flyers for my shop. That I would pay the team eight cents a copy and there would be 5000 copies. Plus if it worked out I would ask them for a second 5000 at a later date.

Neither of the coaches could get enough parents to volunteer as supervisors to get this done; so panhandling it is????

Dan.

This is exactly right, and I feel that it is this type of attitude that has lead to kids sports becoming more and more organized and more expensive ehich ultimately only excludes the kids of parents who don't have money to burn. It was getting like this 20 years ago, I can only imagine what it is like now, my kids played soccer, now they do a lot of swimming, close to home and cheap.

I don't give money to anyone, for any reason. I give my time and effort to my community in several ways.

I take time off work to search for lost people all over Ontario, that's a enough lost money for me. Probably gave up a few grand last year. When ever people ask me for donations, I politely decline. If all of these kids begging for money went out a got part time jobs, they would make a lot more money in the long run.

Edited by N.A.W

Like Mike, I lost my job and couldn't find one for about 5 months and was planning to move cities in hopes of finding work. Nobody gave me a cent - not even my own parents. All I got was EI, which came too late to really help and I paid into to begin with.

The parents and coaches should be organizing fundraisers to - gosh - fund this kind of thing, if they have to do it.

Wash my car - it costs what, a penny per car? I'll pay for that. Cut my lawn - that costs you nothing, I've got a lawnmower you can use. I'll pay for that. Shovel my driveway in the winter - I've got shovels you can use. I'll pay for that.

Begging is not fundraising. This is teaching these kids that the world owes them something, when it's actually the opposite.

Like Mike, I lost my job and couldn't find one for about 5 months and was planning to move cities in hopes of finding work. Nobody gave me a cent - not even my own parents. All I got was EI, which came too late to really help and I paid into to begin with.

The parents and coaches should be organizing fundraisers to - gosh - fund this kind of thing, if they have to do it.

Wash my car - it costs what, a penny per car? I'll pay for that. Cut my lawn - that costs you nothing, I've got a lawnmower you can use. I'll pay for that. Shovel my driveway in the winter - I've got shovels you can use. I'll pay for that.

Begging is not fundraising. This is teaching these kids that the world owes them something, when it's actually the opposite.

Well said I agree completely.

Very well said Dana