Buying a new car

kickingfrog

i always low ball them to get them going. Say 20,000 for a car i will offer 14,000 knowing there is no way that will happen.

then hope they will respond with something decent.

if not i ask what i will get with it (goodies i hope)

and i always ask for a tank of gas

never believe them when they say that's as low as i can go try to go a little lower

just bought the wife's car got a good deal this way,

and i go with my family when they want to by a car i love to haggle.

walk out when you don't like the price after a bit of going back and forth, if they have room to do the deal they chase you. If they let you go (and you are not rude about it) then they may not of had room to move to your price point. then you know (sort of) of the wiggle room. always ask for more like free window tinting and stuff like that too.

If you are buying new, do your homework. Visit the online showroom, and choose the car you want with the options you want, then go see them and try not to look too interested.Scope out the competion for simalr vehicules, and let the dealer you choose know that you are just begining to look around, that you are looking at visiting the other dealers to look at X car or truck(something in the same style as what you are really interested in)

Ask about incentives and dealer rebates. Like Geoff said, get up and leave for a few minutes. Tell him you need to think in private for a few minutes.

Dealers like to use accesories as a deal sealer.

Don't mention a trade until you have got your rock bottom price of the car you want. Also don't mention how you are going to pay for it (ie outright or financed) until you've got your rock bottom price.

Don't be afraid to walk if you don't get the deal you want.

Also don't mention how you are going to pay for it (ie outright or financed) until you've got your rock bottom price.

So true. Your cash purchase price is always better than the so called "zero percent" finance rate that so many dealerships are offering.

I love haggling and I love buying vehicles but I'll never buy from a dealership.

I prefer to buy something a year or two old privately.

You save on taxes, the initial depreciation of the vehicle, and there's always way more room to haggle if you find someone desperate enough. :)

You save on taxes

Is this still the case? I thought now with the HST, you had to pay 13% regardless, before HST you saved the 5% GST portion, but now don't you have to pay the entire 13%?

To the OP - pay for a CCC report and offer invoice plus 3% or so. You can't know what kind of deal you are going to get unless you know what the dealer paid. Walk in and tell them what car you want and what you want to pay and be prepared to go to another dealer if they won't work with you.

Is this still the case? I thought now with the HST, you had to pay 13% regardless, before HST you saved the 5% GST portion, but now don't you have to pay the entire 13%?

I havn't purchased a vehicle since the HST kicked in, you could be right. :angry:

Know what you want and stay FIRM.

They will see this and start throwing smoke screens STAY FIRM..

Play thier sales pitch until they want you to sign the offer(stay firm)

Now its your turn to see how desprate that salesman is willing to pay his bills and gain some #s in order to keep his job?

Then if it falls within your budjet and what YOU want , then pull the trigger..

IMO

The thing about buying privately is that you can get a receipt for a ridiculously low price and pay tax on that, or the book value (which ever is more) Most private sellers have zero issue with this..

So you'll definitely save on the tax regardless.

Hey Rob

I have been looking at new cars lately and from the dealer there is not much movement on price these days. IF it is a new car you are looking at, you can usually get a couple things thrown in for free. For example: At the volks dealership I was offered a 3m clear front protector film and a trailer hitch installed. I think they can swing those things easier.

What car you looking at? Is it new?

Last month a new Sonata (nice looking car) with lots of options was on for 0% finance for 72 months.

www.apa.ca - new car buying program.

$70 yearly for non-profit organization. They have pre-negotiated prices with associated dealers. I have bought using their service or started a negotiation using the supplied dealer invoice price. Usually go in with exact vehicle/option package, trade, etc. printed out. And go elsewhere until I get my price.

apa also has used car purchase program and vehicle check/appraisal program.

Car Cost Canada will give you prices but no pre-negotiated arrangement.

Is this still the case? I thought now with the HST, you had to pay 13% regardless, before HST you saved the 5% GST portion, but now don't you

have to pay the entire 13%?

To the OP - pay for a CCC report and offer invoice plus 3% or so. You can't know what kind of deal you are going to get unless you know what the

dealer paid. Walk in and tell them what car you want and what you want to pay and be prepared to go to another dealer if they won't work with you.

I believe your correct... My buddy was just saying he had to oat $500 in taxes before he could put his car on tge road

The bigger the dealership the better the price you will get ,such as in toronto.Unfortunatly small dealerships can no t give you the deals you see in the sun and such.If you need xplan pin it is easy to get on a ford forum ,just ask for them ,myself i dont have any left this year .. go ford of course.

The last two vehicle I purchased (one for my wife and one for my sister in-law) were done completely on the internet.

Go to the dealers websites you want to deal with....put in all your info EXCEPT your phone number....the site will demand it but just put in 555-5555....this forces the website salesmen to send you their best quote via email to you....this is usually their lowest offer since they have no idea where your from...they are hoping they are bring in new business from afar and this is sometime the case....this will eliminate all the bull of haggling....

Now if you have a certain vehicle in mind and want to know it's repair and reliability ratings and customer satisfaction, let me know as I have a internet subscription to Consumers Reports and can copy and paste this via PM or email.

Good Luck and remember if you find a deal (price) you can live with go for it and don't look back.

Bob

My Car Selling days are over but..... Like said before.

1) Car cost worked every time, worth the $40 investment.

2) Leave your trade in out of it, they can hide profit in a trade - in.

3) City dealership have to be more competitive, or at least purchasing from one of those auto park dealerships where there is 10 different dealers on the same block does help.

In addition, this may suck if you have to wait. Your getting all excited about your new ride. What I did notice is that the factory incentive programs seem to run on a yearly rotation, some better then others. when doing research, try to go back throughout the previous year and see what the best program they had, that deal is sure to be back again. That being said, if your excitement gets the better of you, always ask if a better incentive program comes up after you buy - "Will you honour the better deal" this is a sometimes yes/no.

Find the newest salesman in the dealership, managers do their best to get them some sales under their belt not as worried about profit lines as much in doing so.

Hope this helps and good luck with the purchase!

One question to you..... What kind of toy you getting?

My Car Selling days are over but..... Like said before.

1) Car cost worked every time, worth the $40 investment.

2) Leave your trade in out of it, they can hide profit in a trade - in.

3) City dealership have to be more competitive, or at least purchasing from one of those auto park dealerships where there is 10 different dealers on the same block does help.

In addition, this may suck if you have to wait. Your getting all excited about your new ride. What I did notice is that the factory incentive programs seem to run on a yearly rotation, some better then others. when doing research, try to go back throughout the previous year and see what the best program they had, that deal is sure to be back again. That being said, if your excitement gets the better of you, always ask if a better incentive program comes up after you buy - "Will you honour the better deal" this is a sometimes yes/no.

Find the newest salesman in the dealership, managers do their best to get them some sales under their belt not as worried about profit lines as much in doing so.

Hope this helps and good luck with the purchase!

One question to you..... What kind of toy you getting?

The best advice I ever got was to buy an Edmunds New Car Guide (or go to edmunds.com) and follow their detailed instructions. You can figure out the invoice price for any new vehicle, as well as the wholesale and retail cost of any add ons. Once you figure out the car's price to a penny, then add a reasonable amount of profit for the dealer (which varies depending upon what you're buying, supply and demand, etc), go to the dealer and simply show them your figures. stick to it, or damn close to it, or make them prove you wrong. It has never happened to me. Once they know you've done your homework, they'll either sell at your price, or you politely decline, and walk. The biggest lesson I learned from their guide is that we have a lot more leverage than we realize, especially if we know the numbers and how the sales game works.

good luck.

If you're not willing to get up and walk away then you've already lost

I agree.

A bunch of 'gotta check with the manager', requests for a 'deposit' to show you're sincere, constant upselling and addition of useless costs such as anti-theft etching, admin fees (name any other business tries to get you to pay their costs - except Hydro 1).

Do your research, know what you are going to pay going in, you control the sale, get your price. Any of the above Bull - walk.

Edited by blue pickeral

I agree.

A bunch of 'gotta check with the manager', requests for a 'deposit' to show you're sincere, constant upselling and addition of useless costs such as anti-theft etching, admin fees (name any other business tries to get you to pay their costs - except Hydro 1).

Do your research, know what you are going to pay going in, you control the sale, get your price. Any of the above Bull - walk.

Trust me....ALL OF THIS can be avoided by getting their best price via the internet...I will NEVER again go to a dealer and play their games...you want my business give me your BEST quote via email and go from there....

Bob

How does everyone know what they want (really "need") to pay for said vehicle??

How do you know the dealer emailed you their "best price"??

www.carcostcanada.com

Run a report on the vehicle you want, and it will give you the wholesale cost the dealer pays for the vehicle, what incentives are currently running (the ones you don't know about too), and a rundown of the current financing as well....

It works...

I've got a free report still to run, let me know what you are looking for and I will run one for you....

Burt :)

Edited by Burtess

Wholesale Price Report

2011 Subaru Legacy 4dr Sdn Man 2.5i w/Sport Pkg

Manufacturers Code: BA1SP

4-door Compact Passenger Car

Manufacture warranty

Basic: 3 Years/60,000 km Drivetrain: 5 Years/100,000 km Corrosion: 5 Years/Unlimited km Roadside Assistance: 3 Years/Unlimited km

Fuel economy

EnerGuide Estimate - City (L/100 km): 10.6

EnerGuide Estimate - Hwy (L/100 km): 7.4

Retail Price * Wholesale Price **

Base $27,995.00 $25,566.00

Freight $1,525.00 $1,525.00

Optional equipment selected

- FEDERAL AIR CONDITIONING EXCISE TAX (-EXTAX) $100.00 $100.00

- Dealer Advertising Charge (DAC) $0.00 $300.00

Totals including all items above $29,620.00 $27,491.00

*Retail Price - Also referred to as the M.S.R.P. or Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price or Retail Factory Price. The price the dealer wants you to pay.

** Wholesale Price - Also referred to as the Dealer Invoice Price, Dealer Factory Price or Dealer Cost. The price the dealer pays for the car, before adjusting for any applicable Factory Incentives. To start your negotiations, take this number, add a fair dealer markup/profit (3%-5% on most cars) and deduct any applicable factory incentive below.

Current Factory Incentive Programs.

Incentive Type Value Term Expiry

Cash Incentives

Security Deposit Waiver $0.00 July 4, 2011

Alternate Cash Credit/Factory to Dealer Rebate $1,000.00 July 4, 2011

$750 Athlete Cash Back Rebate/Factory to Customer Rebate - Please see General Comment $750.00 July 4, 2011

Finance Program

Retail Finance 1.9% 24 July 4, 2011

Retail Finance 2.9% 36 July 4, 2011

Retail Finance 3.9% 48 July 4, 2011

Retail Finance 3.9% 60 July 4, 2011

Lease Program

Lease Rate - Ontario, Quebec & Atlantic Region only 0.9% 24 July 4, 2011

Lease Rate - Western Region only 1.9% 24 July 4, 2011

Lease Rate - Ontario, Quebec & Atlantic Region only 1.9% 36 July 4, 2011

Lease Rate - Western Region only 2.9% 36 July 4, 2011

Lease Rate - Western Region only 2.9% 39 July 4, 2011

Lease Rate - Ontario, Quebec & Atlantic Region only 1.9% 39 July 4, 2011

Lease Rate - Western Region only 3.9% 48 July 4, 2011

Lease Rate - Ontario, Quebec & Atlantic Region only 2.9% 48 July 4, 2011

General Comments and Additional Factory Incentive Program Details

NO SECURITY DEPOSIT on all leases.

THE FINANCE AND LEASE LOYALTY RATE REDUCTION OF 1.0% is available to all customers who previously financed a Subaru vehicle. Please note the final lease or finance rate after reduction can not be lower than 0.50%. Please consult your dealer for further details.

MULTIPLE SECURITY DEPOSITS are available for a 0.1% reduction in rate on all new 2011 models. Please consult your dealer for further details.

The $750 ATHLETE CASH BACK REBATE/FACTORY TO CUSTOMER REBATE is an after tax rebate that applies to athletes competing in any of Subaru Canada Inc.'s sponsored triathlon or running series events who are purchasing or leasing a new eligible Subaru vehicle. This rebate is available after the vehicle lease or purchase has been completed at the dealer's by sending an application form along with copies of the lease/purchase documents and copies of the official race results to Subaru Canada Inc. The application form and further information on this program can be obtained on the Subaru Canada site. Please consult your dealer for further details.

THE ALTERNATE CASH CREDIT/FACTORY TO DEALER REBATE applies to deliveries between June 2, 2011 and July 4, 2011. This program applies only to cash purchases and is NOT stackable and therefore can NOT be combined with other available factory incentives (including lease and finance rates). This rebate is applied to the before tax amount. Please consult your dealer for further details.

Standard Features

EXTERIOR

- 17" x 7.5" 10-spoke alloy wheels - P215/50VR17 Bridgestone Turanza mud & snow all-season tires

- Compact T135/80R16 spare tire mounted under cargo area - Pwr tilt/sliding glass moonroof w/sunshade

- Rear roof-line spoiler w/integrated brake light - Black & chrome grille

- Automatic headlights -inc: contoured multi-reflector halogen high beams, projector halogen low beams - Multi-reflector halogen fog lights

- Body-colour heated pwr mirrors - Tinted windows

- Windshield w/UV protection - Variable-intermittent windshield wipers w/washers

- Windshield wiper de-icer - Body-colour door handles

INTERIOR

- Premium cloth heated front bucket seats w/10-way pwr driver, 4-way manual passenger, pwr driver lumbar support - 60/40-split flat-folding contoured rear seatback

- Front armrest w/console storage - Rear seat folding armrest

- Front console w/(2) console-integrated front cup holders, 12V pwr outlet - Embroidered floor mats

- Impact-absorbing driver foot rest - Leather-wrapped tilt/telescopic steering wheel w/audio & cruise controls

- Leather-wrapped shifter - Anti-theft system w/engine immobilizer

- Analog metal trimmed sport gauges w/white illuminated needles -inc: tachometer, coolant temp, full needle sweep on startup - Instrument panel -inc: gear position indicator, cruise set display headlights indicator, dual trip odometer, fuel gauge, ECO gauge

- Information display -inc: clock, ambient temp, driving range, average/real time fuel economy - Pwr windows w/driver auto-up/down, illuminated driver-side switches

- Pwr door locks - Remote keyless entry system w/panic alarm

- Cruise control - Floor-mounted remote trunk release

- Air conditioning w/air filtration - Rear seat HVAC ducts

- Rear window defogger w/timer - Aluminum interior trim

- Lockable/illuminated glove box - 12V pwr outlet in dash

- Auto-dimming rearview mirror w/compass - Overhead storage compartment

- Illuminated ignition key ring - Dash storage compartment

- Storage compartments in doors - Passenger seatback storage pocket

- Dual visors w/illuminated mirrors, extensions - Outboard seating position assist grips

- Lighting -inc: front door courtesy lights, interior dome w/off delay, map lights - (2) rear cup holders

- Cargo area sub-floor storage tray

MECHANICAL

- 2.5L SOHC SMPI 16-valve horizontally opposed 4-cyl engine -inc: i-Active valve lift system

- Electronic throttle control - Liquid-filled rubber engine mounts

- 6-speed manual transmission w/OD - Driver-selectable hill holder system

- Symmetrical full-time all-wheel drive -inc: viscous-coupling limited-slip centre differential - 4-wheel fully independent suspension -inc: front MacPherson strut, rear double-wishbone

- Front/rear stabilizer bars - Engine-speed sensitive quick-ratio pwr rack & pinion steering

- Pwr front ventilated/rear solid disc brakes w/front dual-piston calipers - Muffler w/stainless steel tip

SAFETY

- 4-wheel anti-lock braking system (ABS) w/brake assist - Electronic brake-force distribution (EBD)

- Vehicle dynamics control system w/lateral-g & yaw-rate sensor - Traction control system

- Ring-shaped reinforcement frame construction - Front & rear crumple zones

- Side-impact door beams - Driver & front passenger dual-stage airbags -inc: seat position sensor, passenger seat occupant detection system

- Driver & front passenger side-impact airbags - Front/rear side curtain airbags

- 3-point front seat belts -inc: driver ELR/passenger ALR pretensioners, load limiters, height-adjustable shoulder belt anchors - 3-point rear seat belts -inc: ALR/ELR at all positions

- Front seat height-adjustable passive safety head restraints - Removable/adjustable rear head restraints

- Child safety rear door locks - Child safety ISO-FIX/LATCH rear seat anchors

- Internal safety release w/self-illuminating handle - Collapsible steering column

ENTERTAINMENT

- AM/FM stereo w/CD/MP3/WMA player -inc: (4) speakers - Auxiliary audio input

- Mediahub w/iPod & USB audio integration - Blueconnect Bluetooth voice-activated hands-free system -inc: voice activation

- Sirius satellite radio w/3-month trial subscription - Glass-integrated antenna

Note: The vehicle pricing information offered at Carcostcanada.com does not include many of the following items: Government taxes (PST, GST, tire tax, gas tax etc), fuel costs (Typically $20-$40). Freight and PDI charges shown above represent the Manufacturers suggested prices. Some dealers may include additional items in their freight and PDI charges and therefore may charge a higher price. Items such as floor mats, block heaters, mud guards, air cond tax, tire tax, gas tax, theft deterrent systems, administration fees, fuel etc. Please consult with your local dealer to clarify exactly what their charges include.

All the automakers reserve the right to make changes at any time, without notice, to colours, equipment, materials, models, prices and specifications.

Armada Data Corporation. makes every possible effort to ensure the accuracy of the data presented herein. However from time to time we may receive data that contains errors, or data entry mistakes may occur. As such we are not responsible for the accuracy of the data presented.

Dealers are always more likely to offer low prices to serious new car buyers

Showing a dealer your CarCostCanada Wholesale Price Report proves that you are a serious new car buyer

Although many vehicles can be purchased for only 3%-5% over the dealer wholesale price, due to strong demand many hot-selling vehicles typically sell for 5%-8% over the dealer wholesale price

Edited by Burtess