New Boater - Boat Launch Advice and Etiquette

My series of questions in relation to boating equipment continues. I very much appreciated all of the past helpful advice.

Picked up my new boat today. Man, what a rush. This is my first ever boat, 18 foot with 115 outboard.

Parked it in garage on an angle, the neighbor was releived. Thanks again for that one.

Now comes the hard part. Launching the thing. No doubt many of you here have seen guys like me struggle their first couple of times out. What would be greatly appreciated is some friendly advice and tips on what are the keys to a successful launch and unless i forget my plug, hopefully a loading of the boat. Also if there are some boating etiquette rules when it comes to launching and loading (like don't stand on top of the line of another golfer's put and things like that), they would be greatly appreciated. This way, when one or many of you run into me this spring on the boat ramp, your expletives will be kept to a minimum. :clapping:

I'll re-iterate what PigeonTroller said .... backing up your boat will take a lot of time and practice. My very first boat was only 16ft and I did exactly that. I went to a local school parking lot on a week-end and just practiced backing into one of the parking spaces ... over and over. It was quite frustrating at times, but I did get better. Now I have a 17ft boat and I still ain't the greatest, but I'm getting better. For me ... patience while backing. I go slower than most when backing down the ramp, but hopefully I'll get it straight in the first time.

You'll have to remember that when backing a boat, the boat trailer will go in the opposite direction of your vehicle. One tip I was told, when backing up, is hold the BOTTOM of the steering wheel. Then turn the wheel in the direction you want the boat to go. I've been using this method and it helps me.

Most launches have an area to get the boat ready to place in the water. Get everything ready before you approach the ramp.

1). Make sure the plug is in !!

2). Un-do all the straps. I let one the main hook on the front of the boat and release when in the water.

3). Keep you motor trimmed up. If you motor is the entire way down, chances are good your scrape it across the ramp as you enter and exit.

4). Disconnect your lights BEFORE backing down.

5). My wife and I always go together so there are two of us for launching. I back down to the water. I get into the boat and unhook the final strap. My wife backs me on in. Lower the engine a bit and fire her up. Back on off and my wife exits the ramp and parks the vehicle. She's fairly good backing herself. There's probably faster ways of doing this, but it's what I do. Some launches may be shallow so be careful with the trim. Once launched I either motor over to the dock or boat out away from the launching area so that others may come and go. Oh yeah... don't forget to come back in for your partner.

Hope this helps a bit.

Edited by Rich Clemens

It would probably help if you could find an empty or not-so-busy launch somewhere and practice launching AND trailering your boat, both can be difficult for the first timer. Backing a boat down a ramp is a little trickier than just backing on flat ground. Trailering a boat can be tricky also, especially in a windy situation. Taking an experienced boat owner with you to help would be a good thing.

There are several different ways to launch a boat, this is how I do mine:

1. Have everything loaded into the boat in an orderly fashion.

2. Pull the vehicle and boat into the prelaunch area and remove the rear tie-downs and motor toter/transom saver, if you're unfamiliar with the launch... leave the motor tilted up. Do not remove the front winch hook.

3.Back the boat down the ramp until the boat just barely floats off the trailer. Leave the vehicle engine running, put it in Park and apply the emergency brake (This is VERY IMPORTANT!)

4. I then get out of the vehicle and walk the trailer tongue to the boat, and while holding the bow with one hand/release the winch and safety hook with the other hand, then stand up and gently push the boat down the trailer and hop onto the bow.

5.When the bow clears the trailer I then deploy the trolling motor and troll over to the dock, tie the boat up to the dock and go back to the vehicle to pull up the ramp and park.

6.Walk back to the boat, tilt the motor down and start it, make sure water is coming out of the "tell tail", make sure everything is in it's place in the boat, lift the trolling motor up, untie the boat and slowly pull away from the dock.

Trailering the Boat

1.Pull the boat into the dock and tie it off. I like to leave my motor running.

2.Walk to the tow vehicle and back it down the ramp, I like to back the trailer all the way into the water to completely wet the bunks.

3.Pull up the ramp until 1 or 2 inches of the guide-ons are visible.

4. Put vehicle in Park and apply the emergency brake! (This is VERY IMPORTANT!)

5.Walk back to boat, untie from dock and idle to the trailer, once the boat is in position give it gas little by little to push the boat onto the trailer.

6. When the boat is in position on the trailer, turn off the motor and tilt the motor up.

7.Walk to the bow and hop down on the trailer tongue, secure the winch and safety hook, you may also need to wind the winch to finish pulling the boat onto the trailer

8. Pull trailer up the ramp to the post launch area and secure the boat to trailer with the rear tie-downs and install the transom saver/motor toter

9. Secure any loose items in the boat for the drive back home

When you first approach the launch area,

Pull off to the side and allow the wheel bearings to cool for a few minutes, unhook the running lights.

Remove all tie-down straps, put in the plug.

Load your tackle boxes, fishing rods, lunch cooler into the boat.

Once you are ready to launch, move to the launch ramp, remove the safety chain, and move far enough ahead to line the boat and trailer in the centre of the ramp.

Have you partner hold the mooring lines, and slowly reverse into the ramp, moving far enough into the water that the boat will float off the trailer.

your partner should then pull the boat to the side out of the ramp, while you park your vehicle.

DO NOT LOAD OR UNTIE YOUR BOAT ANYWHERE IN THE RAMP AREA.

Now go to an empty plaza on a Sunday morning, or early eavening, and practice your backing. Take your time, this is not a time to play beat the clock.

John

All of the above plus NEVER take the winch hook off the boat until you are starting to enter the water ( especially with a roller trailer ), also if your trailer does not have one put a safety chain on it should the winch strap or cable ever break you will know why.

Edited by Garyv

Lots of good advice so far, I will not add any advice per say on backing up a trailer as i am not good enough at it yet to tell anybody how to back up a trailer but i will add a couple of my experiences and thoughts.

The first time I tried to back up my rig it was a disaster the harder I tried the worse it got, the problem was on this ramp you had to start the process on an angle and the ramp was very narrow and this made the first time difficult for me thankfully I was the only one on the ramp and someone saw me struggling and offered to help which of course I accepted.

The second time I tried this ramp was a different story I was able to back the trailer down with out too much difficulty I think the key was starting the rig off in a good position and taking it slow and rather than trying to correct a bad situation I just started over.

I bought a new rig last year which is longer,wider,and higher the my first boat and of course I thought this rig would be harder to back down a ramp to my surprise I think it`s easier to back this larger rig down the ramp either that or I am starting to get a little better at it, I am at the point now in the learning curve that launching and loading does not terrify me anymore.

I would suggest that the first couple of times you launch it would be wise not to do it alone try to have a buddy with you and preferably one with trailering experience secondly try and avoid busy launches it`s probably not a good idea to try your first launch during the Walleye tournament at the Bay of Quinte.

Try to find a quiet launch during off peak times and give it a go you will find that after you have done it a few times correctly your confidence will increase and it will not be akin to a trip to the dentist.One important piece of advice is regarding your trailer if it does not have load guides get some one of the biggest problems I had last year was getting the boat straight on the trailer I have them now and they are ready to be bolted on.

Just remember to take it slow and make small corrections and you should be okay and remember all of your fellow fisherman and boaters at the launch did it for the first time and i doubt they were experts right out of the box, and one more thing remember that ramps can be very slippery I found that out the hard way last year at the Beaverton launch I must have been a site slidding down the ramp on all fours into the drink.

Good Luck and enjoy your new rig.

It's good of you to ask these questions because, as others have said, the launch ramp is definately not the place to learn. And there's nothing more aggravating than to see someone tying up the ramp because of inexperience or ignoring the 'rules'.

I would add that you should perhaps visit a few ramps to see how the more experienced guys/gals handle the launching and retreiving procedures. Experienced people take about 1 minute when launching and about 3 minutes when retreiving. I would recommend that you go there when there is a tournament; there you'll see how fast things go. Others have given some good advise on procedures and you should practice to develop your own set so as to be efficient and thorough, i.e. not forgetting to put the plug in. 'Not putting the plug in' will happen, it has to most of us and for some of us, more than once. :blush:

Good luck and rest assured it's not all that complicated.

A lot of great tips. One I would add is to learn to back down using mirrors. I learned by looking over my shoulder and it was easy when the boat was on the trailer. I thought, hey this ain't so hard. Then when it came to taking the boat out, I learned that watching just the trailer over the tailgate for a short dude like me is very very difficult. It was like backing up using "the force" like Luke skywalker. I was lucky not to hit anything and it took a brutal amount of time and corrections. I learned to use the mirrors and since then have done some pretty fancy slalom backing down of congested ramps and find that taking her easy is always a good thing. You can't jackknife a trailer at 10 kph, at least not while paying attention.

Good luck and enjoy.

Charles

Do not park in the turn around spot . I used to leave notes for these clowns ,now I leave two long skid marks, its faster. I figure they want their insurance to buy them a new paint job or they wouldn't be there.

Check the water at the ramp, Ive seen where power loaders have piled gravel so high you can't use the ramp once the water level drops.

Launching Your Boat - Tips, Tricks and Etiquette

By

Justin Hoffman

With the open water season in full swing in all parts of North America, it is time, once again, to pull the cover off the boat and make that fateful trip down to the launch ramp. But does it have to be a fateful venture? Launching a boat can be an enjoyable, easy and fright-free experience, and with a little pre-planning and paying attention to detail, you will relish the trip to the ramp, and will become, in no time, a master launcher.

Before You Leave Your Drive

There are a few steps to take before you hit the road, that can ensure your trip to the ramp will be a safe and pleasant journey. Check the pressure on your trailer tires to make sure that they are inflated to an optimum level. Having too much air in the tires will sacrifice traction and can cause the trailer to slide and weave at higher speeds. It is also a good idea to check that there is sufficient grease in the bearings and hubs. I learnt this lesson the hard way one morning when my wheels seized up half way to the launch. A glance in my side view mirror alerted me to a shower of sparks flying in the morning air - a spectacle pretty in sight, although not so awe-inspiring while towing a boat! (It is one mistake I vowed never to make again though.) Tie-down straps and safety chains should all be secure, as should the lock on the trailer hitch. Make sure your side and rear-view mirrors are set properly. If everything is up to par ladies and gentlemen, then you may now start your engines.

At the Ramp

Once you arrive at the ramp, your first step is to find a quiet spot away from the launch area, (preferably in the parking lot if one is provided), to load up your gear. Don't, and I repeat don't, park your rig in front of the ramp. This is a pet peeve among many anglers, as it causes line-ups and creates what I've coined "ramp rage" among others waiting to back in. I have witnessed harsh words and raised tempers every year directed at the perpetrator who blocks the use of the ramp to others. It is common courtesy to leave this area free unless you are backing the boat into the water.

Once your gear is loaded into the boat, your next step is to unplug your trailer lights. Leaving your hot lights plugged in when submerging them in cold water can blow the bulb, which can get expensive, and dangerous. Making a mental note to do this task right after you load the gear will ensure that your lights live a long and prosperous life.

Straps holding the boat down can be untied at this point if your boat is sitting on a bunk trailer. If you are using a roller trailer, then the best and wisest course is to leave the front strap attached until you have backed down into the water. (I have heard horror stories of folks that have undone all of the straps, only to find their boat lying on the concrete as they descended the ramp.) If you are at all unsure, leave the front strap on for all trailer bunks for peace of mind until the trailer is submerged.

The last step is to make sure that the plug is securely in the back of your boat. This is extremely important (for obvious reasons) but I can assure you that someone always forgets to check. Don't let it be you.

Once you have done all the appropriate checks, it is now time to back in. Backing a boat into water can be either a simple task for some, or a downright difficult one for others. A few simple tips can make sure it goes smoothly. Back the car or truck up in a slow and deliberate manner. This will make it easier to control, and will force you not to overcompensate with the steering. Another key is to make small movements with the steering wheel. The bigger the movement - the easier it is to lose control. I have found that it is easiest to grasp the steering wheel at the bottom and merely turn the wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go. This, of course, must be done completely opposite if you hold the steering wheel at the top, which can become quite confusing at times. Try both techniques to find out which one works best for you.

If you have a bunk trailer then the trick is to back the trailer in so the water covers the bunks, which enables the boat to float free. Roller trailers need not be backed in quite so far, as a boat can be pushed off one of these quite easily. If you are with someone, have him or her hold a rope attached to the bow while the boat is being taken off the trailer. If you are by yourself, then it is best to tie a rope to the bow and proceed to push the boat off. A simple technique to learn how far to back the boat into the water is to head to the ramp on a quiet day and practice, either by making a mental note, or a physical mark on the trailer, of how far the trailer should be backed in. Having the time to find the optimum level at your own pace will help things go much more smoothly when the ramp is busy.

Before taking the boat off the trailer, always remember to engage the parking brake. All ramps are on an incline for a reason, and applying the parking brake will ensure that your car doesn't get launched with the boat. (Don't laugh, as it has happened, and it is more common than you may think!)

Once the boat is securely in the water, there are a number of rules to remember. Always tie your boat up at the far end of the dock, in order to allow other boats to freely come in or out. This makes the process easier on people, and will keep things moving fast and smoothly. If the ramp and dock area is busy, it is best not to idle around getting in the way of other boaters or causing a safety risk to other boats. Proceed out the designated channel at idling speed until you are a reasonable distance from the ramp before opening up the throttle.

Finally, if you see someone that needs a hand in launching his or her boat, freely offer your help. That also goes for saying that if you need help yourself; to actively seek it. Most anglers will be more than happy to oblige. I've helped many boaters launch for the first time and it honestly does make you happy to know that you are helping someone in need while also teaching them the proper way to handle the launch.

Have fun this fishing season and realize that launching your boat can be done without achieving a headache, or cursing all the way back to the car. Follow these steps and you will actually look forward to your time on the ramp, and even more to your time on the water.

- - 30 - -

Edited by JustinHoffman

Well as usual our members are right on the money,and all of them gave you excellent advice,and tips :w00t: you will make out just fine,and just one last thing to remember,please dont leave any garbage or used fishing line at the launch sites i always end up taking other peoples garbage and crap like coffee cups and stuff,if you follow all the steps that everyone gave you ,well you are ready to go,and have fun with your new boat and enjoy....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

If by chance your alone at the ramp and are having problems for whatever reason....wind, current or anything else....don't hesitate to ask another person to give you a hand. As mentioned above, we were all novices ourselves at one point, and sometimes that extra hand makes all the difference.

And also offer your assistance to someone else who looks like they could use it.

Any fisherman.....well almost......will be more than happy to lend a hand.

Don't worry, it's not nearly as difficult as it sometimes looks :thumbsup_anim:

I launch by myself quite a few times at the launch in my pictures, and when I do I tie my boat to the far L shaped part of the dock so that while I drive my truck and trailer out , the lane is already free for some one else to launch, that way they don't have to wait for me to get back. I try to do this at any launch with a long dock as it really keeps things moving.

it all depends on what kind of person you are if you ask me. some learn great under pressure while others learn great on their own with nobody watching. myself, i prefer to be under pressure because it forces me to try my best. when im alone i tend to get more aggrevated.

this week was the first time i did any major trailer towing with my truck (alot of city driving, backing into tight places, turning around in very tight areas, etc.) and not to brag, but i did very well for just learning. i had to back into driveways about 7-8 times throughout last week and all went super smooth except for the 2 times where i was alone and nobody was around. took me too long to get into place. yet when people were watching, i did better than experienced people.

you should get someone to go with you the first couple times to guide you. i think we are all guilty of not admitting our own mistakes sometimes and an experienced friend would be great for letting you know where you messed up.

if all else fails just sell your boat and buy one of those cars that you can drive right into the water :thumbsup_anim:

Not so much launch etiquette, but a peace of mind item, don't forget to lock your coupler to the hitch head and lock the draw bar with ball to the receiver tube. There have been times when people come back from a days outing to find their trailer gone, along with the drawbar. That makes it a real problem dragging the boat down the road.