River Report

Whopper

At lunch time I decided to chuck the work thing and hit the river. I didn't feel the conditions were very favorable to be fishing my usual spot but didn't have a choice because of time. We have had a lot of rain and the river has been high and very muddy. Today's flow wasn't bad and it has receded the last couple of days and the weather was absolutely beautiful. Water was still mud stained visibilty about 6".

Started throwing a red & black 1/4 ounce jig and dark motor oil twister and within the first 15 minutes I lost three fish ??? :(. So I switched to a SR7 shad rap in a firetiger finish and away we go. Caught two small LM bass

Spring07003.jpg

Not a few minutes later BAM, she hit like a freight train and it was on. Nice smallmouth and I'm pumped.

This pic does not do this fish justice, I was having trouble with my camera, probably from lack of use ::)

Spring07004.jpg

So I was thinking about when I first started and decided that I really need to bone up on my jigging so I switched back to jig and twister combo. Things were slow then all of the sudden tap tap and it's on again and I figured it was another smallie but it wasn't. SURPRISE a really nice saugeye. It's been a long time since I've caught a saugeye this size out of the river, so I was pleased.

Spring07010.jpg

A quick pic and back in the drink. Very next cast I caught his her twin sister, sorry no pic >:( camera fell of the ledge while taking. A few minutes later I slammed a poor little bluegill, must have jerk him ten foot out of the water :o

Caught another small smallmouth then on the very end of a retrieve this kamikaze LM hits as I was bringing my jig out of the water, scared the crap out of me :o. After a brief tug of war her and I get intimate :-* ;D

Spring07012.jpg

What a great afternoon and to think before it started I thought all I was going to do was spend some quiet time and catch a few rays. I'm not real happy with the quality of my pics and the camera problems I had today I hope it's just me being rusty with it.

Sorry for the long winded report but I feel RE-ENERGIZED. Maybe that will hold me until I get get the boat out.

Hope you all enjoyed!

Whopper

PS Just so everyone knows bass is in season here.

Very nice. I here ya on the pic thing I can never make them look big like some guys, lol, but any smallie you have to hold with two hands is big.

Roy I just noticed your post count is 6666, hope you don't run into any bad luck. :devil:

Edited by GbayGiant

Thanks for the kind words

Roy really didn't think I would have had the success I did so team 8 logo was sitting in the truck, sorry tjsa.

Babyherc I live in southwest Ohio, Dayton area.

All fish pictured came from a current break off of a eddy below a spillway in a spot no bigger than a kitchen table.

Whopper

Thanks for the kind words

Roy really didn't think I would have had the success I did so team 8 logo was sitting in the truck, sorry tjsa.

Whopper

OK!!! Yer on probation for at least a month, :lol:

Kidding, glad you had success Phil, a tiny tip though, taking pics, have the sun in your face, not behind you or beside you, lol.

Well that was weird. I replied to this thread, and then a page showed up that said it was some kind of "flood" error and said it saved my response and so I hit it so it would post the saved response, and it made a double post. What the heck?

Joey

Edited by Joey

Trying to embarrass me?, now I might have to catch a fish! Can`t have only one guy from Ohio that gets lucky! LOL Nice job Phil!

No way Paul would never do that to ya LOL

I'd still like to have you take a seat in my boat and have ya school me on some of the East Harbor fish though. I'm sure we could get the fellas at Tibbels to give us a hand with loading.

You name a date and I'll take ya, as long as it's not from May 18th to the 28th I have a date with another OFC'er then.

Whopper

Edited by Whopper

LOL Phil, once you clear the opening at Tibbel`s start flippin or pitching a worm or lizard at the stuff on shore to the right and work your way towards the mouth of the harbor hitting all the docks.

Early season is nice because of less boats in the water and less boat traffic, I think the bass season shuts down May 1st though. Not very deep water, 4 feet is a real plus! But some of those pigs are in a lot less.

Junebug or a lighter shade like watermelon in a 6 inch lizard or worm will work, the rip-rap at the entrance to the harbor is also a good spot, deeper water less junk, you can fish a lizard on a jighead pretty easily with snags or texas rig it and drag the edge of the rip-rap in deeper water 6 to 8 feet.

I am trying to get up there before the season closes, but it is hard for me too plan. LOL at Tibbell`s I can just roll of the dock into the boat? or water? Not usually hard to get a 4# plus L/M there.