arctic adventure

BIG FISH

i recently had a chance to travel to a small fishing/hunting town called pangnirtung on baffin island. the goal was to do some fishing and hunting and learn about the inuit way of life. it was an experience of a lifetime and i hope to do it again someday. ill let the pics do the talking

190610_10150124903868346_516633345_6365228_4773595_n.jpg

top of the mountain above the small town (mount duval)

217604_10150153739433346_516633345_6485609_7111178_n.jpg

the fishing was awesome they had about 5 feet of ice and the arctic char are everywhere

006-2.jpg

007-2.jpg

018-1.jpg

the fish are so fresh and clean like no other fish iver ever caught the meat is by far the best tasting fish iver ever had i was eating it raw as i was cleaning them and it tasted awesome

023.jpg

also got to do some hunting the target was baby seal took us two days but we finally got one

daveandseal.jpg

198612_10150128800123346_516633345_6396915_3132039_n.jpg

I was in Alert Nunavut years ago but it was 24hr dark so I couldn't fish the nearby char lakes...color me jealous, but those are amazing photos and a great journey!!! congrats. That red meat looks like candy!

Edit: those inuit skinning knives are amazing. My brother brought me one back from Kuujuurapik... sharp as anything

Edited by Rod Caster

why a baby seal?

Because when you are hunting food - basic sustenance - you aren't choosey. Any meat keeps you alive for a couple more days. Cuteness doesn't enter the picture. Yes, there are stores, but the prices are often five to six times more than we pay in the south due to food being flown or barged in.

As for the ulu knife, best chance of getting one would be in Iqaluit. Largely an Inuit tool. Try contacting someone up there who can check the Northern store. Picked one up at the Hudson's Bay store years ago, but HBC has been sold. Often locals will make them out of scrap sheet metal. Great for cutting up pizza.

Nice trip!

Because when you are hunting food - basic sustenance - you aren't choosey. Any meat keeps you alive for a couple more days. Cuteness doesn't enter the picture. Yes, there are stores, but the prices are often five to six times more than we pay in the south due to food being flown or barged in.

As for the ulu knife, best chance of getting one would be in Iqaluit. Largely an Inuit tool. Try contacting someone up there who can check the Northern store. Picked one up at the Hudson's Bay store years ago, but HBC has been sold. Often locals will make them out of scrap sheet metal. Great for cutting up pizza.

Nice trip!

That would slice up a Char Pie is seconds. hahah.

Good advice about the Northern Store or contacting someone up north... probably your best bet.