Poison Ivy (nf)

kuhaman

Any good ways to get rid of this stuff(other than gasoline and a match) I get a rash just thinking about it and this year I want to get rid of it early before its in full attack mode. Any help would would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Kuha

Any good ways to get rid of this stuff(other than gasoline and a match) I get a rash just thinking about it and this year I want to get rid of it early before its in full attack mode. Any help would would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Kuha

The last thing you want to do is burn it, the oil becomes airborne and can cause severe respiratory problems to anyone breathing it in, even from a distance. Round-up herbicide s one of the best. It may take several treatments, but it works.

Roundup was supposed to have been banned for public and commercial use by now.

An organic alternative. Pick a hot sunny day and spray the patches with vinegar. Burns the plants, and other unwanted weeds to a crisp ( does not work too well in the shade). Unfortunately it does not work on the root network. Most retail weed killers also fail in that regards.

round up will kill all vegetation . if you can buy weed killer and spray at the point of runoff (the leaves) it will kill poision ivy. i dont know about the enviriomntal stuff.. what you need is a combination of 2-4d ,dicamba, and mecoprop this is the true weed killer .. it is avalble if you know the right person and you dont want to kill every thing

round up will kill all vegetation . if you can buy weed killer and spray at the point of runoff (the leaves) it will kill poision ivy. i dont know about the enviriomntal stuff.. what you need is a combination of 2-4d ,dicamba, and mecoprop this is the true weed killer .. it is avalble if you know the right person and you dont want to kill every thing

Add 245-T , Gramoxone and Paraquat to he list, essentially Agent Orange :wallbash: The right person may be in the military. :sarcasm: We used Gramoxone on the farm back in the 60's, it killed everything very dead, now they say we could have serious health issues because of it , no MSD sheets back then :dunno:

Add 245-T , Gramoxone and Paraquat to he list, essentially Agent Orange :wallbash: The right person may be in the military. :sarcasm: We used Gramoxone on the farm back in the 60's, it killed everything very dead, now they say we could have serious health issues because of it , no MSD sheets back then :dunno:

Man, I gotta take a chemistry course LOL :dunno:

Gramoxone is still an approved commercial herbicide in agricultural use.

I never reccommend any product to the public that requires certification. It still is only a contact herbicide. For systematic eradication you need heavier herbicides. None of those are available to the general public.

Gramoxone is still an approved commercial herbicide in agricultural use.

I never reccommend any product to the public that requires certification. It still is only a contact herbicide. For systematic eradication you need heavier herbicides. None of those are available to the general public.

Sorry Bruce, I'm a little sensitive on the issue spent 5 years as a teen farm handing on a mixed fruit farm in Niagara. When they banned Killex and Roundup I did some searching as I knew I had used a lot of similar chemicals, namely Gramoxone and 245T , the Material Safety Data Sheets and reports of long term medical conditions due to exposure was a real eye opener when all we had for protection was cutoffs and a T shirt :wallbash: Oh, we also grew a field of corn and a field of potatoes, you can add atrazine to my list of my exposure for the corn and we always dusted the seed poatoes with captan too. The Railway and Hydro workers I believe has law suits going for compensation for their exposure , they used to spray along railway lines and hydro cuts. I do have respiratory problems but only my say so on exposure and a long gone farmer.

Hint : if you go the contact herbicide route, mix a little diesel fuel with it. It will stay on the shiny waxy poison ivy leaves longer and work better as they are contact herbicides.

Concentrated Round-up is no longer available but the diluted form is. Home hardware has it. The label has a big ivy on it. I'm very allergic to poison ivy and the drugs to control it mainly prednisone is likely worse them what Round-up does. It will take two years to likely fully get rid of it and then applications every so often thereafter. There is a lot of good advice on the net e.g., Ohio State Extension Office. Good luck.

I worked for the weedman for 3 years and sprayed poison ivy all the time around Owen Sound. If it is a big patch you may have to spray it a few times over the year to kill it all. They have a vine like root system and just shoot up. Round up works the best, poison ivy will just laugh at you with the orgainc stuff. Wear some rubber boots and long rubber gloves and wash everything after you are done. Spray as early in the season as you can. I have sprayed patches that were 2 feet high, had to spray it 2 years in a row to kill it all.

i had good luck with round up.

the key is to watch the weather you want to spray it when there is no rain in the forcast for at least 3-4 days.

also it realy helps if the soil is dry(thirsty)

mix round up with water(2 cups round up to 10 litres water) dont spray just pour it out of a container. (i use a 10 litre water jug that you can buy at any food store for mixing)

saturate the soil first.

let the leavas dry off then spray the leaves with the mixture that you bought(soak them)

the key is to hit it when its dry(late june/julythumbsup_anim.gif ) this should kill the root system.

in august dig out 3 inches of top soil.

soak the root area with round up and cover with new top soil then soak it with water and seed it with grass.

next spring you will see nothing but grass.

it sounds like alot of work but its worth it.

hope this helps.