Fishing Tv Shows

ccmtcanada

Now that winter is just around the corner, I was wondering what fishing shows are on TV that people really like? I have Rogers Digital Cable and can choose specialty channels, but I'm not even sure which networks/channels/shows to look at. :dunno: I looked at OLN Canada, and they had a few listed there. The only one I've heard of and watched on occasion is Bob Izumi's show. Are there any out there that cater to Ontario fishing in particular?

I'm mostly interested in educational type shows for lakes and tribs, since I'm not likely to head to some exotic location and fish for 300 pounders.....although they'd be fun to watch as well.

So I throw it out to the all knowing members of this board :worthy: ....what's your fav show and why?

I'll need all the help I can get come spring. Thanks! :D

Cliff

Bob Izumi's show was okay, and I liked the old Fish'n Canada and Urban Outdoor Adventures (Shaun Rickard's show), but my favourite, which I don't think is carried on OLN anymore, was the In-Fisherman series.

Interesting segments, knowledgeable hosts, and none of that loud rock music, yelling & cheering kind of stuff. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's not my thing.

Mike

I'm a competitive angler, so that definitely plays in to my fishing tv watching. My favorite shows are:

Canadian Fishing Tour - Bass tournaments in Ontario, shows off our lakes and local talent.

FLW Tour - Bass and Walleye tournaments throughout the US, some of the best bass/walleye fishermen in the world

AFC - Australian bass and bream tournaments. Interesting team format and familiar fishing techniques and tactics for fish species that I never have and likely never will get a chance to fish for.

Skeeter Basschamps - Bass tournaments in Texas.

Scott Martin Challenge - one on one friendly bass fishing contests between Roland Martin's son and some other top bass angler.

Fish O'Mania - 16 guys sitting around a pond catching carp and bream, doesn't sound interesting, but it is pretty neat to see some of the techniques adopted by anglers in the UK.

Pro Tarpon Tour - Very exciting because I keep expecting a competitor to get his or her arm bitten off by a large hammerhead shark. Tightly packed boats creates some mass confusion and the fish (tarpon) are usually pretty giant.

Beat Charlie Moore - Humourous one on one bass fishing challenge between the host and some viewer that can win $5000 if they beat Charlie Moore.

Classic Patterns - Bass fishing instruction from some of the top anglers in the world.

Other shows I enjoy watching include:

Real Fishing, Extreme Angler, Bass Tech (explores the technology side of things).

I will even admit to having watched episodes of Totally Hooked and the New Fly Fisher even though I am heterosexual. lol

As you can tell, I have WFN and watch it a lot. Maybe even too much. lol

Charles

I am a bit biased on this one...

Cause I dont really watch them on TV... HOWEVER.. and mainly cause I get to talk to these guys.. I have watched the Next Bite with Pete Maina as well as Dave Mercers stuff on DVD..

Shaun Rickards show is good too, Ive only seen a couple of them... I was gonna get the WFN on my express vu.. but its a huge rigamaroll to upgrade my system...

I like to watch them cause then I get to bust on them afterwards...

Also cause if I bug 'em enough theyll get on here and defend themselves..... I've heard Extreme Angler is good too.... RIGHT KARL??

Thanks everyone for your replies so far! I'll be looking to add WFN to my Rogers programming. TJQ...so we have some hosts from shows on our board? That's pretty cool.

I've been bitten by the fishing bug, so I'll try to watch some during the long winter....

Keep em coming if you want to pipe in about your fav show!

This is a sore subject with me because a couple of years ago the package that I subscribed to had a channel with all the fishing shows that I like, but a couple months ago they took and made it a premium channel so they want more money. Well I'm not a cheapskate but my cable bill is over a hundred dollars a month (that includes my road runner connection) and I'm not giving any more and seriously thinking about cancellening.

I would really like to see Next Bite guess I'll just order the cd's.

Whopper

Thanks everyone for your replies so far! I'll be looking to add WFN to my Rogers programming. TJQ...so we have some hosts from shows on our board? That's pretty cool.

Ya we get a few...

Pete Maina - The Next Bite is on quite a bit - The Next Bite

Dave Mercer drops in a bit - The Facts of Fishing

Aaron Shirley is frequently in here - Getting Hooked

Shaun Rickard - Urban Outdoor Adventures as well as his staff members post here - Urban Outdoor Adventures

I'm working on a couple more.. but its hard to get them on here sometimes when its so easy for users to take pretty much anonymous shots at them, so I undertsand thier hesitancy sometimes.. but from my experience if they are cool and come off that way they are very well recieved ..

its hard to get them on here sometimes when its so easy for users to take pretty much anonymous shots at them, so I undertsand thier hesitancy sometimes.. but from my experience if they are cool and come off that way they are very well recieved ..

Ditto for many of the guides & lodge owners who post here. I think you call tell something about what somebody is like from their posts here, so the guys who are coo, professional and friendly probably help attract interest in their businesses.

And there's the other side too, there are a couple of guides/lodge owners that have posted here that I would never give my business to, based on how they handled themselves.

Mike

I don't watch fishing shows anymore, actually, we dropped cable when we moved into our new house and I haven't missed it so far.

Mike

as long as it's not fish n canada or dime bag fishermen, I will watch it

but I would watch queer eye for a strait guy, before I would watch

fish n canada.......

ok I would turn the tv off before I would watch queer guy........

...........thank god for US dish.........

"Hooked" with Mark Krupa, its on OLN. its produced in High Definition and the narration is great. They dont really get into the tactics. Mark is a fly fisherman so many of his shows are based around that style but he has had shows in Northern Ontario fishing for MASSIVE pike using spinning gear. I think the show is different then all others right now becasue it takes a different, more nature based perspective on the outdoors.

Hey T.J,

Thanks for the invite, your site looks like a great place for anglers to share the "addiction or passion"as some like to call it;

Our show, EXTREME ANGLER TV has grown in popularity very quickly with viewers and supporters alike ... season five starts in January on WFN, and we have introduced an even WIDER variety of species to our 100% ALL-CANADIAN CONTENT menu for a greater appeal to more multi-specie-angler tastes;

Mixed in with the monster bass, we we`re fortunate (lucky...lol) enough to capture some incredible footage at locations most canadian anglers can drive to; here`s a sample of what viewers can expect in `07:

Spring Lake Trout Jigging spoons

Detroit River walleyes on the curly tail grub

Tube drag bronzebacks

Lake Erie summer steelhead on the troll

Oversized largemouths hiding in the wood

Slab sized crappies in spring

Topwater smallmouth on poppers

Big bronzebass in shallow largie water

Open water whitefish on the spoon

Jumbo yellow perch on plastics

Trophy bigmouth bass hiding in deep trees

Black crappie in fall on weed clumps

Walleyes on the worm harness

Lake Erie`s "super-sized smallmouths"

Frog bass gone wild

Stick-worm largemouth

November smallies on the kawartha shoals

Shallow Docks = Big Bass

and so much more!

And, our All-Fishing publication, Canada`s EXTREME ANGLER ANNUAL, looks like it`s going to be our biggest issue ever, released nationally across Canada and the northern USA in January.

It`s jammed packed with multi-specie topics, how-tos, when-tos, and with-whats, written by some of the hottest anglers in the bizz....and best of all written for and by Canadian anglers.

check us out http://www.extremeanglertv.com

gotta go...thanks again for the invite

till next time,

KK

Hey T.J,

Thanks for the invite, your site looks like a great place for anglers to share the "addiction or passion"as some like to call it;

Our show, EXTREME ANGLER TV has grown in popularity very quickly with viewers and supporters alike ... season five starts in January on WFN, and we have introduced an even WIDER variety of species to our 100% ALL-CANADIAN CONTENT menu for a greater appeal to more multi-specie-angler tastes;

Mixed in with the monster bass, we we`re fortunate (lucky...lol) enough to capture some incredible footage at locations most canadian anglers can drive to; here`s a sample of what viewers can expect in `07:

Spring Lake Trout Jigging spoons

Detroit River walleyes on the curly tail grub

Tube drag bronzebacks

Lake Erie summer steelhead on the troll

Oversized largemouths hiding in the wood

Slab sized crappies in spring

Topwater smallmouth on poppers

Big bronzebass in shallow largie water

Open water whitefish on the spoon

Jumbo yellow perch on plastics

Trophy bigmouth bass hiding in deep trees

Black crappie in fall on weed clumps

Walleyes on the worm harness

Lake Erie`s "super-sized smallmouths"

Frog bass gone wild

Stick-worm largemouth

November smallies on the kawartha shoals

Shallow Docks = Big Bass

and so much more!

And, our All-Fishing publication, Canada`s EXTREME ANGLER ANNUAL, looks like it`s going to be our biggest issue ever, released nationally across Canada and the northern USA in January.

It`s jammed packed with multi-specie topics, how-tos, when-tos, and with-whats, written by some of the hottest anglers in the bizz....and best of all written for and by Canadian anglers.

check us out www.extremeanglertv.com

gotta go...thanks again for the invite

till next time,

KK

Best show on TV IMO :worthy:

Hey TJ. The upgrade can be done now and you get a credit back on your bill for the cost along with the free installation. I had it done last week and its a full upgrade to make everything highdef if I ever upgrade the tv in the future. Now along with WFN you can also get Wildtv a Canadian network with all fishing and hunting shows. PM me if you want anymore info on how to go about getting it done with credit.

Mike

"Hooked" with Mark Krupa, its on OLN. its produced in High Definition and the narration is great. They dont really get into the tactics. Mark is a fly fisherman so many of his shows are based around that style but he has had shows in Northern Ontario fishing for MASSIVE pike using spinning gear. I think the show is different then all others right now becasue it takes a different, more nature based perspective on the outdoors.

AGREED, love that show :thumbsup_anim:

Getting Hooked with Aaron and Barry is great since they film a lot of locations right here in S. Ontario. I think they film in popular areas using new/different techniques to catch more fish. Personally, I think that is the most important aspect of a show, not guys going to fly-in lodges or exotic locations where the fish hit anything you throw at them.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that their show is a big success. They are the type of guys that deserve the most success, as they are stand up guys that would give the shirt off their back to help someone in need.

I believe they air on WildTV now and will be airing National on OLN come January.

Cheers,

Tony

Hey TJ. The upgrade can be done now and you get a credit back on your bill for the cost along with the free installation. I had it done last week and its a full upgrade to make everything highdef if I ever upgrade the tv in the future. Now along with WFN you can also get Wildtv a Canadian network with all fishing and hunting shows. PM me if you want anymore info on how to go about getting it done with credit.

Mike

Hey Mike, I called them about it and wasn't impressed with how they do it. They told me they would need to take 90.00 off my credit card, then give me 15.00 credit for 6 months. Why not just put 90.00 on my bill then give me the credit in full on the next bill, or better yet, put it back on my card. That's why I haven't done it yet.

Maureen

Hi all,

Thanks for the kind words on The Next Bite TV. Glad to see that a lot of you are seeing it on WFN. Really do appreciate the good comments. We're excited about this upcoming year too, as we just started the editing process on the coming year's shows ... some great stuff on the way. Truly have some very talented young guys putting it together for us.

(Of course the whole thing is a little tough right now, as the deer season is on here ... hard for me to concentrate on stuff like editing. Still waiting for my big buck to stumble by.)

Best,

Pete

I have a bunch of preferences....I know I know lot of people say it's one big infomartial....but I like Fishful thinking, Charley Wray always explains tackle and presentation well,......Extreme angler and next bite, also pretty good, but I am a guy that likes loud music ie Metallica, Audioslave, but I think Extreme Angler would be more enjoyable if the backround audio was turned down a notch... Really I enjoy all shows save Dimestore "Dail It UP!" .....They drive me crazy