Kijiji

Rizzo

We are currently selling a sofa that is only a few years old (ie in great condition) but no longer have need of it due to "new colour schemes" (wifey's idea). We are getting all kinds of "Very interested...is it still available?" or "I would like to come get it today" etc etc. When we reply that it is available, you never hear back from them. It is so bad that I actually believe Kijiji has people on staff who reply to ads simply to make it look like a lot of traffic is generated through the site. We sold another couch a month or 2 ago for the same reason, and the number of "I want it" replies that never showed up was ridiculous. Eventually the first person to actually come and look at it scored themselves a great deal!

Yup....its ridiculous.

My Wife had a home business but took a job recently(paid better)

So she has been selling the supplies no longer needed, and we've expereinced the same thing....frustrating.

Espeically when some one says...I'll come by today, so you wait around and they don't come by or ever contact you again.

Be careful though....

I was cautioned that Criminals use these sites.

They see something they like, get your address and ask if they can come by during the day on wednesday, and of course you say

"sorry we're at work" then they case out your house knowing your not home and Bingo...quick B&E and they got your stuff free.

Probobly not the case for a Sofa, but if you were selling a Boat or ATV...look out

Ya, I do alot of selling on Kijiji. The replies are usually Gmail or Hotmail and I have a feeling it's spam. I listed an item and in under a minute I had a reply: "Is it still available, you don't have a number or pictures posted, where are you located? ASAP" Funny thing was I had my #, location and photos posted. Other than the annoyances, it's a great place to buy and sell.

I think your experience is normal. I've not tried selling, but I've bought a few things of kijiji and craigslist and almost every time I've shown up to pick something up I've gotten a response like "you actually came". A guy who I picked some scuba gear up from told me over a dozen replied, but I was the only one who showed up.

Bryan

Edited by Warthaug

We are currently selling a sofa that is only a few years old (ie in great condition) but no longer have need of it due to "new colour schemes" (wifey's idea). We are getting all kinds of "Very interested...is it still available?" or "I would like to come get it today" etc etc. When we reply that it is available, you never hear back from them. It is so bad that I actually believe Kijiji has people on staff who reply to ads simply to make it look like a lot of traffic is generated through the site. We sold another couch a month or 2 ago for the same reason, and the number of "I want it" replies that never showed up was ridiculous. Eventually the first person to actually come and look at it scored themselves a great deal!

Hey Rizzo,

Where are you located. I will be looking for all kinds of furniture for my son's college residence in late April/earl May. He is in Lindsay.

what's worse is freecycle.org. Post something you have for free and you get a few replies, post something you are looking for and get 20+ telling you to go to another site or another site you can buy it off of.

w00t.gif

Tried selling my cinder blocks on kajiji and here. 1.00$ a piece. But a lady called about them on her husbands behalfglare.gif BTW there free to any ofner, since another ofner didnt jump on them.glare.gif 100 plus to give away. you pick upwink.gif

I have no problem taking them , just no vehicle to pic them up...wont fit in the BMW dude...feel free to put them in my driveway if you want them gone that bad :rolleyes:

kijiji, classifieds, whatever. i negotiated a deal with some guy over a dozen emails and a week on my sailboat. when he didn't show up to get it i called him and he said his parents said no. id been dealing with a 12 year old the whole time!

dont read too much into it regarding scammers, and schemes from kijiji employees. its just a bunch of lowballers and lowlifes wasting your time and theirs.

that being said, i buy and sell piles of stuff off kijiji, the actual sale is usual a pleasant experience.

w00t.gif

Tried selling my cinder blocks on kajiji and here. 1.00$ a piece. But a lady called about them on her husbands behalfglare.gif BTW there free to any ofner, since another ofner didnt jump on them.glare.gif 100 plus to give away. you pick upwink.gif

My step dad had a couple 1000 bricks at the side of the house that he was pretty much given for a drive way project he wanted to do. He ended up giving up on the drive way and tried to get rid of them on kijiji. Someone offered him 100 bucks for them all which was a good deal. Took half of them (helped him load them......), didn't come back, didn't pay and when we finally got a hold of him he said he didn't want them and we could come pick the bricks up from his house that he had taken...

I've sold a ton of stuff on Kijiji, yea you get a lot of boneheads on there, but if you want to avoid time wasters - QUALIFY THEM -

* Get there phone number, if they give it to you then more than likely the person legitimately wants to buy what you are selling.

* Never arrange a meeting via email, or trust someone when they say they'll be there in a few hours - call them to confirm.

* Never give out your address if you haven't spoken to them before.

* Personally I never meet a random person off the internet at my house, if possible, carry the item you are selling in your car and meet up with them in a public location that is convenient for YOU.

* ALWAYS GET YOUR $$$ FIRST

I've only sold a few things on Kijiji but they've been all normal people. Sold my TV in about 30mins after the ad was posted. Got the guys number, firmed up a price and helped loading it into his truck. I also bought my snowmobile off of Kijiji :)

I have had pretty good luck both buying and selling overall. Most seem to be decent people like the rest of us trying to score a deal. I also for security try to avoid meeting at my house but had one guy come and pick an old air-conditioning unit last summer and an x-box game both were normal.

I'd be worried about criminals though using it case especially for boats and vehicles. I find my neighboured fairly secure a good mix of retired people and young families so often lots of people around during the day. Plus I have a good guard dog for the house.

Sold a few things also,, dont get a lot of luck as most are annoying emails , and never have your phone number or address on there,, i had a free shed for someone ,they came by and made a complete mess as they just wanted the metal ,i didnt care about that but when i saw the mess i posted a ad about them and the mess they make and what they drive the whole bit ,, did i ever get a phone call back apoligising.Just had a email from a guy from russia wanting to buy my lawn mower for his daughter in russia ,said to send him my paypal account and info etc.. that one got me laughing and just marked it as phishing in my email account.. But most people that go on that site are looking for something so like the poster before get there number and you know they are interested.I think alot are resellers also , but if you get the price you are looking for it is good.I like looking at the free ads ,to look for something interesting...

In my experiences the quicker you start communicating over the phone the better. I always list my cell number in my ads and more often than not get phone calls almost immediately after listing. People love kicking tires with emails, but if they take the time to contact you over the phone you know they want it. I also typically invite them to come and see the item before they commit to the purchase.

With regards to people getting ripped off, it's their own fault. Same idea as falling for an email scam. Meet in person, maybe even with a friend or two and exchange in cash or equivalent.

I've had far more quick sells and good experiences on kijiji than lenghty listings!

Kijiji is hit and miss.

Sometimes the people are great to deal with, and the transaction and negotiation goes smoothly, other times I deal with deadbeat and lowball bidders.

I've had people offer like 25% of the price, on already great deals. That gets me upset. Don't waste my time with lowball Bull.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I live out in the country I find that lower value items aren't really worth posting, no one is going to drive out here to save $15.00 on a $30.00 item. That being said however I have sold several items in the $200.00 range at about 30% off list and did quite well with them. I have had a few tire kickers but for the most part they have all been upstanding honest people just looking to save some money.