Lawn Mowers (NF)

Gerritt

Lawn boy's have the power, It side shoots, mulches, bags. Starts in two pulls. I have had 7 of them in the last 9 years, I use 2 to 3 of them 8 hours a day 5 days a week for 7 months. One lawn boy will last me 2-3 years of Torture. I cut the biggest,longest,thickest grass. Side shot your lawn in the spring or when the motor starts to bog down cause of the thick grass. Mulch as soon as the lawn slows down(usually in mid to late june.) Cut a least every 5-7days in the spring. The less power the mower has you will need cut more often in order for motor to power through it. Keep the blade sharp and balanced and it will help the motor cutting the grass. Hope this help's.

IMHO, Honda makes the best small engine on the market. Smoother and quieter than almost everything else. I know we are talking lawnmowers here, but after an hour+ of pushing my 2 stroke Lawnboy My ears and hands are feeling it.

I think mulching mowers are better for your lawn and you don't end up with piles of grass clippings...not to mention countless trips to the compost.

In the spring any power mulcher mower will bogg down with thick grass. you can mulch but you'll have to cut more often. Lawn-boys only come in 4 stroke now cause of emissions, quiet, better on gas. Canoe you should have ear protection for any motor driven yard tool.

I like Iceguy am in the business, and I have both Lawnboys and Honda but they are the commercial models. $1000.00 plus The Honda is a self propelled mulcher and rear bagger. I bought this because of a lot I cut is on a hill thus no pushing The lawnboys are side and rear baggers, and I find the rear bagger the best. These mowers go for ever with a little maintenance. keep the blade sharpe and balanced as previously said and never cut your grass below 2.5 inches, 3 inches is best as John says.

I never mulch as all my customers like manacured lawns so I do a lot of bagging, Also bagging saves alot of time in the fall when doing leaf cleanup.

I would recommend a Lawnboy over Honda and Toro. Buy the best that you can aforde.and may I suggest you go to a dealer and look at some demo models or trade-ins that might be in your price range. How big is your lawn?

Something l can talk about. First of all l have been in the landscapeing trade for over 20 years

and have used them all and l keep going back to Toro. One of our mower cuts about 25 homes a day for 5 days for 20 weeks so useing two mowers thats 1250 cuts a year. They are betten to death we have cut off water shut off valves, t bars and the odd flag stone patio we get about 2.5 years out of a mower. I'm recomending the Toro recycler push or drive l would stay away from the comercial modles because of the wieght (ruts from the wheels).BUY yourself an extra blade so that you will have a sharp one and if you are going to mulch l would change the blade every month.

Run the gas out in the fall and change the oil in the spring. Hint we use synthetic oil and lucus.

Some hints to the home owners Turf needs 1.5" of water per week cut the turf at 3 inches or more in the heat of the sumer this helps to reduce the amount of transporation (evaporation from soil and plants). Seed your lawn every year and regular fertilizing. Stay with the organics and you wont get that 1 foot of grass in a week hell. The organics permote micro criters so that your lawn will be healther. Everytime you cut change the direction in which you cut and keep you lines straight for that pro look and that spiral pattern is just a junk cut. Good luck all and may it be green all sumer we need the oxygen. Peace Ken

I cut several of the neighbours' lawns(elderly) as well as my own. I have a Honda(17 inch cut with a "plastic" deck that weighs 50 lbs=14 years old,still like new!!) for trimming that can get VERY close to edges, so not much weedwackin'. Use a big honkin' self propelled Craftsman(very heavy) for the rest.

I have been lookin all over for a replacement for the Craftsman after 6 years

COSTCO has one- STAINLESS STEEL deck AND a HONDA engine for ......$299! Should last until my kids have grandchildren!

The search is OVER

FT

bowshep: Any particular brand of organic fertilizer you recommend?

(please say Dog Poop!!! Please say dog poop!!!)

I have a old Tecumseh that the neighbour was tossing in the trash! Just changed the oil a few bangs of the hammer and she starts everytime now..

Now if you feel brave you could buy one of those manuel ones. My wife came home with one cause she is embarassed cause the neighbours see me mowing my yard with there old mower while they try to fix their new MDT one!

I told her I would use her enviormentaly freindly one as soon as I buy the ATV to pull it :)

~ LEW I have seen your arms, one pull from your arm and I could see you starting a jet engine!!! A lawn mower ha, must be scared not too start :)

any brand will do and as for the dog poop we will pass your house and still charge you its a health hazzard. WE use compost in the spring get the good stuff or you will add weeds to your turf. In end of june and end of aug we use alfelfa and in the fall we use a product high in mag. saulphat and alum. oxide to help the turf remain a nutural state

weeds like acidic or alkaline soils and turf loves it at a nutural. Peace Ken

note: a sharp blade will reduce brown out (brown tips on the blades of grass) which will reduce the chances of the lawn browning out in the summer. and if you ask nice l will tell you how to get rid of grubs with out pesticides. hehehehehehe

In the spring any power mulcher mower will bogg down with thick grass. you can mulch but you'll have to cut more often. Lawn-boys only come in 4 stroke now cause of emissions, quiet, better on gas. Canoe you should have ear protection for any motor driven yard tool.

Hey! I am not a tool...much

I still chose a 2 stroke because I thought it might last longer. (But a PIA to have one more mixed can... I have 3 - straight, 50:1 and 32:1) I have to run the side discharge in the spring because of the long grass as you said.

I like the Lawnboy's staggered front wheel design - easier to get in close = less trimming

grubs be gone and everyother insect in the lawn. liquid dish soap.

Soak the lawn first.

Add 1/4cup of dish soap to a standerd watering jug and fill with water and procide too apply the mixture to the turf you will have to fill the jug a few times until you cover the hole lawn.

Soak the lawn again to push the soap in to the soil and remember your trying to push the soap 6-8 inches deep.

the bugs (grups) will come to the surface because of the bad taste in their mouths and the birds eat them up.

sorry its simple and costs you time and about 15 bucks for the average lawn. for the enviroment try to use phosfate free soap. Ps you will have bubbles on you lawn for the first 10 min but it will stop as the soap is bing pushed deper into the soil. Peace ken

Edited by bowshep

the more times you do it the less bugs you have but remember their are good bugs in the soil that you cant see with out a microscope. So like anything moderation but thats coming from an Irish man that can chug a Guinness. lol Peace Ken

Edited by bowshep

Reminds me of something that my Dad did, a couple of years ago. He has been fighting grubs for years and finally got so irritated, that he took the Roto-Tiller to the front lawn. After only going a few feet, he noticed that there were grubs everywhere in the turned up soil. He quickly ran out to the back yard and got his 20 chickens to follow him to the front yard. Once they spotted the grubs, they would follow my old man around the front lawn, gorging themselves.

Once he completed the lawn, he noticed that the chickens were not following any more, as a matter of fact, they were all just laying on the turned over dirt, breathing heavily!

They had eaten so much, they couldn't walk! He had to carry them by hand, back to their coup, where they rested the rest of the day away. He got some mighty fine eggs from those Hens and even better chicken dinner!

HH

PS. The grubs came back the next year!

I just want to thank everyone for their opinions I will let you know once I decide on a model... right now it is between Lawnboy and "something" with a Honda engine...I am leaning towards Craftsman for the Honda.. and the fact that the craftsman is what I have now and has lasted forever...

thanks again guys it is appreciated.

Gerritt.

I just want to thank everyone for their opinions I will let you know once I decide on a model... right now it is between Lawnboy and "something" with a Honda engine...I am leaning towards Craftsman for the Honda.. and the fact that the craftsman is what I have now and has lasted forever...

thanks again guys it is appreciated.

Gerritt.

I think that may be a good choice, I took a quick spin into Barrie Costco, 3 models with Honda motors, 2 stainless and a Lawnboy with a Honda motor. Not impressed at all with the stainless models, flipped one end up to look under, if that deck was any thinner I'd swear it used to be a sardine can stretched out. I could flex the deck metal by hand, no effort. Surprising that Honda let them put their motor on that. The Lawnboy model does not have the offset front wheels either. I'm getting mine from Sears.