Snoblower help

darsky

Had to do the driveway this morning.Did half-no problem. Stopped to put in some gas and some oil. Went to start er up and lots of smelly oil smoke. The neighbor started cussing about the smoke wafting over his front and then I shut it off. Did I put in too much oil maybe-I guess around a half liter.

What fuel/oil ratio are you supposed to be running??? You don't just dump oil in the gas with no measuring. Too much oil will foul up the spark plug and gum up the engine not to mention tons of smoke, not enough and your engine will end up seizing or blowing.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i have never seen a snowblower that ran on mix gas? :dunno:

if you mixed gas, that is likely the problem. if you just overfilled the oil reservoir, i doubt that would cause it to smoke.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Had to do the driveway this morning.Did half-no problem. Stopped to put in some gas and some oil. Went to start er up and lots of smelly oil smoke. The neighbor started cussing about the smoke wafting over his front and then I shut it off. Did I put in too much oil maybe-I guess around a half liter.

Sounds like you overfilled the crankcase with oil. Most snowblowers only take a liter of of oil to fill it. Did you check the dip-stick :whistling:

Drain some out to the proper level and you should be fine.

Most snowblowers are four-stroke, however, they do make smaller units that are two stroke and do require mixed gas. I own one of each.

Cheers.

Not a small engine mechanic, but I think possibly the crankcase is over filled, 1/2 a litre is lot unless it was down quite a bit. I know my rototiller and any 4 stroke engine needs to be kept fairly level. Couple of time I hit a tough spot with the roto and it tried to tip and belched some smoke, was told oil from the crank got into the combustion chamber :whistling: I'd check the dip stick on the crank and remove some, maybe a large syringe with a piece of small diameter hose to suck it out, don't tip it out.

Depending on the size of engine.....MOST 4 stroke snow blowers would take approxamatly 560ml of oil from drained to about the full mark on the dip stick. If you put in about 500ml then you have probably over filled the crank case as has been suggested already. What I would suggest is that you drain the crank case and then refil with 5W30 oil only to the full mark on the dip stick. I would also suggest you change your spark plug. Tell me what make and modle you have and I can tell you what plug and what gap you need.

And yes, there are lots of 2 stroke snowblowers out there most are single stage because the 2 stroke engines can handle the higher RPM. For example chainsaws often tach out at 13,000+/- RPM. Try that with a typicial 4 stroke and see how long it lasts LOL.

he drain is usually low on the back of the engine.

Most I have seen are a silver tube about 4 or 5 inches long with a cap screwed onto the end.

Remove the cap to drain the oil.

Look part way down the page HERE to see what it looks like.

PS. Google is your friend when you need to find stuff out. ;)

Edited by DRIFTER_016

I have a Briggs and Stratton 8.5 horsepower engine on my snowblower. Total oil capacity from dry is only 20 ounces (591 millilitres or .6 litres.)Check your manual or google your engine and horsepower. Somewhere in the specs you'll find the oil capacity of the crankcase. I would drain it completely. Replace drain plug and add the required amount of fresh oil. In future check your oil before you start to blow. Checking it right after it's been run will always give you a false reading. It takes considerable time for all of the oil to drain back down into the crankcase where it is measured.

You can buy a plastic measuring cup at the dollar store (metric scale on one side and Imperial on the other.)Great for measuring out two stroke oil in different ratios as well.

that little cap on the valve is so damn tight

Sorry Leechman

Try penetrating oil or Liquid Wrench. Let it soak in for 10 or 15 minutes. When things start to turn, make sure it's just the cap. If you accidently unscrew the tube at the other end, oil will go everywhere. If the tube turns and the cap doesn't you'll have to use vise grips to lock the tube and a wrench to remove the cap. See the last photo in the link provided by Drifter 016.

Sorry Leechman you posted while I was still composing. WD40 is probably a good idea as well.

Edited by Roe Bag