Catching up from NW Ontario

trapshooter

Hey gang, been having a good time out on the ice in NW Ontario this year and thought I'd share some pics. Been mostly chasing walleye, lakers and white fish. I'll let the pics do most of the talking.

P1180582.JPG

That small sized Lindy Darter has caught me a lot of fish this winter. Not just walleye, trout and whities too.

P1260599.JPG

P1260603.JPG

P1260609.JPG

40" Pike caught on a tube jig while fishing a lake trout / whitie lake.

P1260611.JPG

P1200591.JPG

Look at the difference between these two lake trout - caught on the same lake, same hole actually.

P2040620.JPG

P2040621.JPG

That's all for now. Lots of season left up here though and I hope to get over to LOTW to chase some big lakers.

Cheers,

ben

Edited by BenBeattie

Nice trout Ben....did you sneek back to Big S without telling me?!!!

Love the walleye with its fins raised.

Guilty Simon :blush:

You want to go to LOTW for big lakers? Yeah, those ones you caught were runts. :D

I hate you. :angry:

:lol:

LOL - Lindy Darters? I feel your pain!

The trick with them is to get the fish to chase them. Most hits I get, I'm slowly and steady reeling up, away from a fish I've marked. Don't stop reeling!! Once they see it disappearing that's when they chase. Once they chase, it really ups the odds they will hit. The farther you can bring them off bottom, the better your odds. The other way I get fish to hit Darters is the exact opposite strategy - by jigging above a marked fish then letting the bait sit dead still for up to 60 seconds (it's hard to not jig it!) and they dart up and pop it. Bottom line, you need electronics to fish them effectively. It also helps to have an active bite. For neutral to negative fish I'll turn to something else tipped with live bait.

I see there's a slick jig fish in there too! I saw your video on the special way to rig minnows onto the hook on youtube. Awesome tip!

I got a couple of them too, but haven't gotten a fish on them yet, maybe this weekend...You've inspired me to fish them extra hard this weekend in hopes of getting a fish on them!