Portable Huts

SlowPoke

Pop-up OR Flip-Over?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer, Pop-ups OR Flip-Over? Why?

A recent trip to the fishing store with jjcanoe and scugog has me wondering. I'm not on the market for one (yet) and I can see the advantages for both. If someone DID NOT have an ATV or Snowmobile, which design would you recommend and why?

Pop-up

Prospector.jpg

Flip-over

%20Nanook.jpg

I'm still open minded on this but I'm leaning towards the pop-up design.

- will fit in any vehicle

- easy for storage

- quick to deploy and take down

- versitile (leave it in the car year 'round for shelter instead of van camping ;) )

- back pack it, toss it in a sled for walking out or leave it in your car to drive out

I voted flip before reading the actual question.

Now that I've read it, I think a pop up is your answer.

I have a one man flip which is great for one guy walking. I can put all my gear in it, and away I go. I get to my spot and flip it over my hole, and bobs your uncle. If I want to move, everything is already packed in the sleigh, just flip the tent and I'm gone again. No muss, no fuss. Very quick, easy, and effective.

A two man is a whole different story though. Two guys, with all thier gear in a two man flip........you need a machine to haul it. I got rid of a two man for just that reason. More of a PITA than anything, I hardly used it.

S.

pop out

pros

-small so it can fit into almost any vehicle (my 3 man eskimo can fit into my 2 seater car)

-lightweight

-cheaper to buy

-you can stand up in it

-lots of room for you and gear if you go solo with it

cons

-you need to set it up/ take down. Taking down takes a minute and packing it back into the bag takes two.

-once you set up, it seems to be a hassle to re position

-how durable are the rods/nodes/flex points? with it popping in and out all the time?

flip over

pros

-its on a sled

-just need to flip over the top and you're ready to fish

-small area, can be pro or con, but it will be easier to keep warm/heated in there

cons

-you better make sure it can fit in your vehicle (my clam fish trap scout can only fit into a SUV, truck or hatch, no regular cars <_< )

-heavier

-higher purchase price

If you are going with people, I'd say pop up. If you are going solo, I'd say flip over so you can do more exploring.

edit: btw I'm on foot too.

Edited by kevin

Brian Like I stated in another thread. If I had looked closer at the pop ups,Wayne would still have this flip I got off of him. :whistling::tease:

My next purchase will be the pop up. Easier on the back. Will still need a small bog for the extras,but that will be easy to pull.

hmmm..... that van camping seems to be the deal breaker for me, but then again, I like to move around when I am fishing, so maybe the flip over is for me.

We shall see, Dutchy just bought a pop up and we are anxious to take it out soon.

Edited by splashhopper

SlowPoke haha nice to see this thread. A pop-up was really tempting for me yesterday but I think I've decided on a 1.5 man or a light 2 man flip-over as the way to go....2 man will have to wait until a new vehicle though....unless I can find a small utility trailer B)

I fish mostly small ponds and lakes that have no quads/sleds allowed and like to move around, so I see moving the Flip-over to the next spot much easier. That and the pop-up looks to me a pain to setup in the wind!

I think you could pull the 2 man pretty easily if it was outfitted with sliders or even skis.

I really like the look of the Shappell rover 1.5sp http://www.shappell.com/rover15spshelter.html

Edited by scugog

Have to admit I'm liking my flip up, but there has to be someone with me to lift it in and out of the van.

Cube just has so much more work to using it if you like being mobile. It's a real PITA to handle in high winds. I've seen a few go airborne the past couple of years.

Have to admit I'm liking my flip up, but there has to be someone with me to lift it in and out of the van.

Cube just has so much more work to using it if you like being mobile. It's a real PITA to handle in high winds. I've seen a few go airborne the past couple of years.

I tried re-positioning my pop up during 15-20k winds. It was a parachute! My friend had to come over and hold it down in order for me to anchor it down.

ugli what one do you have? The wind thing and mobility is a big deterrent. I don't need a shelter if it's not windy out 95% of the time

ugli what one do you have? The wind thing and mobility is a big deterrent. I don't need a shelter if it's not windy out 95% of the time

True- when it is not windy out, you don't need one but it is nice to shield your eyes from the bright sun/snow. Also with a hut, if the water clarity permits, you can even see the fish!

I have one of each.

A 3 man (better for 2) pop up and a Frabill Trekker II.

I use the pop up early in the season when I have to walk on and switch to the flip over when the ice gets safe for snowmobile travel. My buddy nad I hauled out my flip over by hand and it was a hell of a lot of work. If travelling on foot I would not suggest a flip over, even a light one like the Trekker II. IMHO

My son got me the HT Magnum 2 man for Christmas. Very roomy, but it is bulky and does weigh 80 lbs, hence the difficulty sliding it in and out of the mini van.

I have a 2 man flip up. I would not want to drag it around without a sled.

Agree 100 o/o

on clear ice no problem but ice with snow forget it, maybe if your a Young buck but add a few years, Dead Man Walking. :stretcher: I f I had to do it over, I'd go with the Clam Scout 1 man. I have the 2 man Guide and I would trade in a min.

Edited by Fish Farmer

That was a short day...

up at 4 50 back home at 330

that long enough...pulling the camera cable up to move to another spot my hands got real cold and I never really got them warm again so I left

whitefish would have warmed me up..but they would help today