What's your favorite steak cut?? And doneness?

Burtess

81 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite steak cut for special occasions?

• T-Bone / Porterhouse
    • Ribeye / Rib
    • Striploin (NY Strip)
    • Top Sirloin
    • Filet (aka Tenderloin, aka Chateaubriand)
    • Hanger
    • Other (explain)
  2. 2. And how do you like said steak done?

• Blue
    • Rare
    • Medium rare
    • Medium
    • Medium well to well (destroy that sucker!)

I have been stewing over what steak I want to grill for New Years Eve. I used to be a sirloin guy because of the fine flavour but I have found that and more in a good ribeye, so I am leaning towards a thick ribeye done med-rare.

What is your taste?

Burt :)

Edited by Burtess

We,ll be having,(and dont tell the mrs,s Im buying this for her,she kills me everytime I buy one for her) a 5 pound lobster and some nice other crestations from the sea.I like the rib cut myself med.Gots to have a nice marble look to it though,and some fat grain in it for flavor.

WHAT NO SLOBBER EMOTICON ???

Nice T medium rare, basted in Cattle Boyz BBQ sauce. baked garlic spuds, with an escargot entree, and fresh belgiun bread sliced thick.clapping.gifsanta.gif

Whats with this basting with bbq sauce. :wallbash::wallbash:

Man you guys need to do some research on marinades and letting that be yer flavor.

WHAT NO SLOBBER EMOTICON ???

Nice T medium rare, basted in Cattle Boyz BBQ sauce. baked garlic spuds, with an escargot entree, and fresh belgiun bread sliced thick.clapping.gifsanta.gif

Try your tbone without the cattle boyz sauce -- you might get to taste the meat and like it a whole lot better.

I like TBones as well.

Ribeye 1.5" thick, quick shake of Montreals best, shaky shaky or Worchestershire...allow to come to room temp.

Hit the heat on full blast with a Smoking hot grill, and sit tight for 1 minute, and flip.

Sit tight for one minute, and flip...sit tight for 30 seconds then flip, sit tight for 30 seconds.

Remove from the heat, and let rest one minute.

Ya baby....dig in!

Porterhouse Porterhouse Porterhouse....oh did I mention PORTERHOUSE done medium rare over hickory wood......but FIRST I must season it with a GENEROUS amounts of Kosher Salt, Garlic Powder and fresh ground Black Pepper on BOTH sides....then let it sit 2-3 hours so that beautiful piece of meat comes to room temperature. Sear on one side for 3 minutes and turn ONLY ONCE for another 3 minutes....now get it off that grill and let it rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting into it so the juices don't run out.

Now were taking red meat....... :good: :good: :good:

Hungry Bob, not Billy :santa:

so I am leaning towards a thick ribeye done med-rare.

Burt :)

My fav steak as well. I like med rare too...but a shade closer to medium. Throw a Thai shrimp skewer on the BBQ with it, and your good to go.

We are doing prime rib roast ourselves. Age it in the fridge for 5-7 days on a wire rack then roast at 200 F until the meat thermometer says 136. Some roasted veggies, parsnips, rutabaga, onions, sweet potatoes and some chunks of freah pinapple... marinated in a toasted cumin seed, lemon, olive oil brown sugar sauce. And a small spinach and blue cheese salad.

Oh and perhaps a few bottles of vino to toast in the New Year and wash supper down. :thumbsup_anim:

Then up at 5AM :( for walleye opener on Scugog.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Porterhouse Porterhouse Porterhouse....oh did I mention PORTERHOUSE done medium rare over hickory wood......but FIRST I must season it with a GENEROUS amounts of Kosher Salt, Garlic Powder and fresh ground Black Pepper on BOTH sides....then let it sit 2-3 hours so that beautiful piece of meat comes to room temperature. Sear on one side for 3 minutes and turn ONLY ONCE for another 3 minutes....now get it off that grill and let it rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting into it so the juices don't run out.

Now were taking red meat....... :good: :good: :good:

Hungry Bob, not Billy :santa:

Almost exactly what Billy dont call me Bob said ( replace Kosher with Lawreys)

My fav steak as well. I like med rare too...but a shade closer to medium. Throw a Thai shrimp skewer on the BBQ with it, and your good to go.

We are doing prime rib roast ourselves. Age it in the fridge for 5-7 days on a wire rack then roast at 200 F until the meat thermometer says 136. Some roasted veggies, parsnips, rutabaga, onions, sweet potatoes and some chunks of freah pinapple... marinated in a toasted cumin seed, lemon, olive oil brown sugar sauce. And a small spinach and blue cheese salad.

Oh and perhaps a few bottles of vino to toast in the New Year and wash supper down. :thumbsup_anim:

Then up at 5AM :( for walleye opener on Scugog.

Ok, you had me hooked up with yer dinner lo down,then theres was that 5am wake up call. :w00t:

I was one that could party and up and go.Guess age gets to ya.LOL

Sweet dinner line up.

Blue cheese is the only one thing,I still cant get the taste for. :wallbash:

Blue cheese is the only one thing,I still cant get the taste for. :wallbash:

Brian...not a huge fan of Blue Cheese either...but I really like it with the spinach salads we make. Some mandarin orange wedges, cocktail tomatoes quartered,sliced cucumber with just a small amount of crushed butter toffee peanuts sprinkled on the top, about a tablespoon size chuck of blue cheese per salad broken up and spread around with just a splash of balsamic vinaigrette. Lots of different textures and tastes. Stole the whole idea from a spinach salad I had at the KEG last Christmas. Has become a family favorite.

We actually just got in from the restaurant 30 minutes ago where I feasted on a nice New York Strip with roasted taters and it was excellent.

When we do them on the barbie here at home I like a T-Bone smothered in fried onions & mushrooms.

Dang, now I'm hungry all over again :lol:

A nice fat striploin, blue/rare..

I've been cooking my steak in the oven as of late with a cast iron skillet. I gotta say it rivals the BBQ...

Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees with the skillet inside.

Steak needs to be room temp with a little salt/pepper.

Take skillet out of oven and place over high heat on burner, 30 seconds on one side, then back in the oven for 1 mins.

Flip and another 1 minute, then rest for 5 mins before cutting into it.

Perfect steak.

A nice fat striploin, blue/rare..

I've been cooking my steak in the oven as of late with a cast iron skillet. I gotta say it rivals the BBQ...

Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees with the skillet inside.

Steak needs to be room temp with a little salt/pepper.

Take skillet out of oven and place over high heat on burner, 30 seconds on one side, then back in the oven for 1 mins.

Flip and another 1 minute, then rest for 5 mins before cutting into it.

Perfect steak.

Bill,

Ya got to "TENT IT" for 5 minutes.

Then you got it perfect.That allows the juices to stay in the meat.Not seeping on the plate.

Edited by BrianB

A Rib Eye any day, special or not. Medium Rare, enough for the juices to flow out for my baked potato.

Marinade in oyster sauce over night, and add a pepper sauce with roasted garlic & roasted green peppers. It becomes so tender, you can cut it with the side of your fork!

Be certain to leave out on the counter at least 4 hours before you place them on the BBQ .