Need Help! Can't decide between 2 Spinning Reels

Minnow

Hey guys

Went down to Bass Pro yesterday to take a look at the sale and decided to purchase a new spinning reel today. Will probably go tommorow to pick one up. Narrowed it down to the

Shimano Stradic 2500 and the Quantum Energy 20

Can't decide which one to go with, both are exactly the same price and have very similar features. Guys please help me out if anyone you own either reel or have heard complaints or praise about one of them let me know! Which one should I go with?

Thanks

Between those two I would take the Stradic.

But......

Have you looked at the Team Daiwa Advantage line? I have the TDA-2500 and it's an excellent reel. Same price range as the others you've mentioned. Its definetaly worth a look...

Burt :)

Nobody has said why one reel is any better than the other. And that's my point. Reels have come so far that it is difficult to choose these days. I needed a cheap spare reel last summer for a friend to use so I picked up a $39.00 shimano at Walmart. It's an awesome reel. Don't get me wrong. I use much more expensive reels. I'm not sure why after trying out the Walmart reel. Personally I use Cabelas spinning reels exclusively. I like the price. I like the quality. And I like the Cabelas guarantee. I'll be ordering a Cabelas Prodigy soon. Check it out.

Nobody has said why one reel is any better than the other. And that's my point. Reels have come so far that it is difficult to choose these days. I needed a cheap spare reel last summer for a friend to use so I picked up a $39.00 shimano at Walmart. It's an awesome reel. Don't get me wrong. I use much more expensive reels. I'm not sure why after trying out the Walmart reel. Personally I use Cabelas spinning reels exclusively. I like the price. I like the quality. And I like the Cabelas guarantee. I'll be ordering a Cabelas Prodigy soon. Check it out.

Ok I don't know much about the other reel from Quantum but I do love my Stradic.I have alot of Shimano reels and have had 4 Quantums.2 of my Quantums died last year no more good don't work anymore so Like Lew says he likes Shimano products and I think there built to last because I have not had one fail me yet.I have nothing bad to say about my Quantum bait casters.For me spinning reels for now on I am going to stick to Shimano.

MTP

Ultimately, you should go with what you're comfortable with. Both the reels you mention are good. In fact most middle range reels are pretty good these days. I have a number of spinning reels made by different manufacturers. Penn, Daiwa, Abu (old C4) and Shimano. My Stella 2500 is my best spinning reel. But I also like using my Penn Z714 Ultra Sport. Why is the Stella better than the Penn?: Tighter tolerances, smoother, great styling, more bearings, etc. Does that mean my Penn is no good? Not to me. It all depends on what you are measuring: Price, quality, engineering, Reliability, personal comfort with the reel? Me? I probably would buy the Stradic. But then again I also bought a Sahara. And on it goes (like this post of mine)

Edited by Slowhand

I have several Stradics, 2000 & 4000 . . . . and about to pick up a 6000 . . . because the ones I have have done so well, I didn't even consider anything else. A few years ago I had some Fireline cut grooves in the bale, where the line goes on the spool . . . dropped into Aikmans, they didn't even ask for a receipt, just fixed it on warranty. If anything goes seriously wrong, Shimano's main parts depot is in Peterborough . . where do the parts from OTHER manufacturers have to come from? I like Daiwa too . . . but after calling Aikman's about parts availability, I was cautioned there was NOT ONE PLACE IN CANADA for parts (3 years ago) and the closest place was California, I stuck with Shimano!

Years have gone by and I have gone through Quantum's, Abu's, Shimano's and even Zebco. The only Product that has survived is Shimano. I still have my original Curado from 10 to 12 years ago (used mainly Quantum up till then and replaced them about every two to three years) and it works as good as it did when I bought it. I am all Shimano now, (5 Curados, 2 Chronarchs, 2 Stradics, 1 Castiac and 1 Citica) why would I go to anything else. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

This is my 100% biased opinion.

I havent had good experince with Shimano spinning reels, never used the stardic though.

I have the Quantum PTi and it is easily the best quality spinning reel I have ever used. Going into my thrid season with it and it has been used mostly for bass, walleye and pike.

Two years ago ran into a friend working the fishing show. He advocated the quantum as a great reel. I bought one. Used it for a month just to give it a fair shake. It now sits on a shelf unused as a spare. Back to Shimano. Guess in the last couple years improvements may have been made but I am happy with what I'm using now.

When I was in Edmonton a couple of years ago I deeked into the REEL DR (a popular fishing reel repair centre) and asked the repair man a few questions about reels. He stated that he found that the most reliable reel was a Quantum Energy. Also a reel that he had the fewest repairs. He also told me that more bearings doesn't necessarily give you better quality. Personally I never used a quantum, But my Shimanoo spirex and symetry have never let me down. I love the Idea that they don't use any springs on their trigger bail.