OT: Bought some land

cityfisher

Hi all,

I recently purchased some land in the utterson/muskoka area(not water front but nearby), its got an old driveway on it that needs to be leveled,graveled, etc and id like to put in an opening about 60x60 . Short term, somewhere to camp on the weekend, longterm build a small house on it.

Im looking to buy my first chainsaw, any recommendations? I want something decent, not going to tackle the huge trees but all the smaller ones.

I have a couple local contractors come by to give me estimates on the job as a whole. They have told me that this is the best time to do the clearing, leveling, grading, etc.

Edited by cityfisher

Either a Stihl or a Husqvarna. They are both great chainsaws, go with either an 18" or a 20". Get plenty of quotes and see if you can get someone to come from out of the immediate area to quote as well. Good luck!!

Will do!! thanks for the tips guys.

Any recommendations where the best place to buy a stihl or Husqvarna?

Stihl !!!!!!!!! ( im kind of bias since i sell them ) hahah

depending on what your looking for.... more commercial model ( lighter, stronger, more $$$$ but will last longer ) or more of a residential model ( they weight a little more, they are less $ )

I work at a JD dealer and i sell a mix of each.

I would suggest a "MS260" with a 20" bar. Its a commercial grade saw that I feel would be best suited for what you are doing. Moving to a wooded area, you will probably be cutting wood for a good portion of the year! Its light so you wont get tired if you have to use it for any length of time. The bar is a good size, not to big, not to small ( like you asked ) you will be able to take down any small trees/trim any good size branches !

At the moment, they have the " wood pro" promotion on, which includes a carrying case($50) and an extra chain($30).... Everything included for $579.95 !

If you have any questions.... shoot me a PM !

Stihl !!!!!!!!! ( im kind of bias since i sell them ) hahah

depending on what your looking for.... more commercial model ( lighter, stronger, more $$$$ but will last longer ) or more of a residential model ( they weight a little more, they are less $ )

I work at a JD dealer and i sell a mix of each.

I would suggest a "MS260" with a 20" bar. Its a commercial grade saw that I feel would be best suited for what you are doing. Moving to a wooded area, you will probably be cutting wood for a good portion of the year! Its light so you wont get tired if you have to use it for any length of time. The bar is a good size, not to big, not to small ( like you asked ) you will be able to take down any small trees/trim any good size branches !

At the moment, they have the " wood pro" promotion on, which includes a carrying case($50) and an extra chain($30).... Everything included for $579.95 !

If you have any questions.... shoot me a PM !

I use this same saw almost daily to clear and maintain trails. I've taken down some HUGE trees with it as well. Never had a problem. Keep it sharp though, nothing worse than a dull saw, and nothing more dangerous!!!!!

S.

If you can, get them to throw in the chaps and the helmet with screen face and hearing protectors..safety first, you might leave tree stumps... but don't make your legs stumps either.

Good call.

Pop ownes 2 Stihl, the 18 and 20 inch which I bought for him 2 christmas,s ago. I also got the rest of the safety gear for him. He always wears it.

good advice guys, all this talk about Limbing body parts has got me thinking to let others with experience do all the major tree work.

Smart thinking if you ask me..........nothing more dangerous than using a tool that your not confident with.

Ill be the first to admit that im not comfortable wielding one! lol

good advice guys, all this talk about Limbing body parts has got me thinking to let others with experience do all the major tree work.

This is a REAL good idea if you don't know what your doing!!!! Chainsaws bite once, and its game over!! If you are available on weekdays, get in touch, I'm pretty handy with a saw, and I'll give you a REALLY good deal!

S.

if i could only own one saw (imagine only 1 saw!)_ it would be a stihl 260 with 18" bar. big enough for felling and bucking, small enough for limbing. easy to find dealers and parts. get the 250 if you dont want to part with the extra dough. i spend most of my cutting time on a jonsered 2145 but there is a stihl dealer in every town youk now?

If you can, get them to throw in the chaps and the helmet with screen face and hearing protectors..safety first, you might leave tree stumps... but don't make your legs stumps either.

Great advice! But I dont think you will find a dealer that will "throw in" almost $200 worth of stuff !

The chaps I would be getting first, simply because they are made for saw, the material will actually bind in the chain stopping it if it comes in contact ! We saw it on a training video (they didnt use a real human for the demo though!!)

Good for you Cityfisher!

Buy once, buy right. Do not buy an Echo. I had nothing but issues with mine. I am pretty sure they came up with name after hearing all the curse words through the bush.

I have a Stihl now, very happy with it. Little tough to get started sometimes, but she's good to go when she does.

Also, I respect what others are saying about safety 100 percent. Read up on proper use of the saw and take your tim

e. You'll get the hang of it.

Edited by Harrison