New ByLaw?

BFSC Kevin

Are you frigging kidding me?

Link: http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20101005/new-parking-bylaw-101005/20101005/?hub=TorontoNewHome

Parking in Toronto just got a little more complicated thanks to a new bylaw that restricts how many vehicles homeowners can park on their driveways.

City council quietly passed the regulation, part of the new harmonized zoning bylaw, at its last meeting of the summer, CTV has learned. The bylaw took effect Oct. 1.

The law allows residents with a single-car garage to park one vehicle in the garage and one on the driveway. Those with double garages may park two vehicles in the garage and two on the driveway.

Details can be found in the online version of the bylaws. The parking section (10.5.80) begins on page 29.

The change has sparked some debate among Torontonians.

"It's nonsense," Scarborough resident Sal Lamantia told CTV Toronto's Naomi Parness. "In terms of my own driveway, it should be my own decision."

Others say the new rule keeps streets looking cleaner.

The law was created after some residents complained others were turning their driveways into parking lots, city officials said.

The city will rely on complaints in enforcing the restriction, officials said. Fines will be determined in court, and could reach up to $5,000.

The regulation is being grandfathered in, meaning residents used to packing several cars on the driveway are still allowed to do so.

They'll have to show they've been doing it for a while, which could prove difficult, said Lance Cumberbatch, director of the municipal standards and licensing division.

Residents buying or building new homes will be most affected by the change.

At least one resident has appealed the bylaw, sending the matter to the Ontario Municipal Board for review.

HAHA... Thank god I am moving out of the big smoke. Toronto you can go eat yourself into a Red Light Hooker infested communist tree hugging, police state all you want. I am soo outa here.

I mean come on. 1 car garage and a 4 car driveway, your only allowed one int he garage and one in the driveway. :stretcher:

something tells me this law will easily be overturned and won't last.

even the worst laywer could win the appeal against this one.

if I own my house and driveway and I own my cars, I can park them there if I see fit.

its my property and my cars.

not sure how this will hold up?

It may easily be overturned by the next mayor. However, they have rules for not being able to park on your lawn, so I guess there is a precedent for being able to tell you what you can and can't do on your property "for the good of the neighbourhood."

It may easily be overturned by the next mayor. However, they have rules for not being able to park on your lawn, so I guess there is a precedent for being able to tell you what you can and can't do on your property "for the good of the neighbourhood."

Well. I do not live in TO nor do I let it bother me about what has been said and or done (yet I work at Bay and Richmond). BUT, for those "new Mayor" happy folks someone should point this out. Well, for anyone behind (no pun intended) any 'City Offical', if they really want a voice to speak up about a concern. Well, now is the time so speak up. Use the media if needed but speak your voice or be shut out... Ford vs???? Ya, you know he's next... It's kind of like "NOOOOOOOO BODY!!" But that's just me... :whistling::devil:

Just waiting for them to round us all up and implant chips under our skin so they know where we are and what we're doing 24/7. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh, Joey, you really don't believe that will happen to us.

No way, nope.

Now if you were to say our grandchildren, well, that's the world, their going to be growing up in :(

Another unfortunate thing about these types of laws occuring in TO, is that it sets precedence for all other citys to do the same.

1984 is getting closer each year

Thanks to the almighty that I retired a couple of years ago and am now a 1 vehicle family, for the past 25 or so years, my boat has always been in the garage and both vehicles sat outside. Can honestly say my single car garage has never seen a vehicle in the 26 years I've lived here. :whistling:

HAHA... Thank god I am moving out of the big smoke. Toronto you can go eat yourself into a Red Light Hooker infested communist tree hugging, police state all you want. I am soo outa here.

I mean come on. 1 car garage and a 4 car driveway, your only allowed one int he garage and one in the driveway. :stretcher:

Pretty muc sums up my feelings on my fellow Torontonians!!!!

Unfortunately, most of us are un-aware that we do not own our property! We think we do, however, should the city decide to do something with your property, you have very little recourse against them... you may "own" your house, but essentially, your "rent" your land from the Corporation that is the city.

It's my understanding that existing house will have their parking situation grandfathered, by the city, meaning that only new homes will have to abide by this new by-law... and the city officials have indicated that they will only investigate/charge folks based on complaints received.

HH

Just another example of:

Real Canadians need to stand up and fight this corrupt government- In fact the people of ALL corrupt nations need to stand up---

As per the chips in our bodies---- YES they are thinking about that- and it is closer to reality then you think.

You think that the CHIP in your credit card adds more protection -- think again. The banks can easily turn your account OFF, so if they do get chips in us - they will use the excuse that it would provide even more protection. But it will not.