Vehicle comparison

Rod Caster

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would you buy

• 2004 Toyota 4Runner
    • 2004 Volkswagen Toureg
    • 2004 Nissan Xterra

Hi all. I may need to get an SUV and I've been looking into suitable vehicles for the job. These three stand out as far as performance, off-road ability and reliability (Toyota at least). I like the Toureg for it's off-road ability and luxury. The 4Runner for fuel mileage, off-road an reliability and the Xterra for off-road and user friendliness for active lifestyles. All in V-6 form.

If you own one, used to own one of know somebody who owns one please provide your opinion and the pros and cons of it. And don't suggest a Honda Pilot...I don't want one.:mellow::D

Edited by Rod Caster

If you find a Touareg with a V10 TDI... don't be scared to buy it

but don't expect to have it for long very break-down prone, but ..

. it's a CRAZY Machine...It'll smoke any new gas pick-up on the road...

That said .. I choose the 4Runner .. very Capable unit... but not quite capable as my Expedition. :whistling:

Randy

:canadian:

Had a 2003 Xterra supercharged,

Off road it was decent, I bought it pretty much brand new. At around 150000 km thats were things went bad......

Seemed I was having to fix something every month and than at 160000 the head gasket went :wallbash:

So off she went and was traded in on a new jk jeep wrangler and what a machine that is!

Good luck with your search

R

Had a 2003 Xterra supercharged,

Off road it was decent, I bought it pretty much brand new. At around 150000 km thats were things went bad......

Seemed I was having to fix something every month and than at 160000 the head gasket went wallbash.gif

So off she went and was traded in on a new jk jeep wrangler and what a machine that is!

Good luck with your search

R

Thanks, this is what I'm looking for. Real experiences. Which motor was that? The supercharged model?

I would suggest a Jeep. :D

My old Cherokee currently has 400,000 on the clock and still tickin' with only a power steering pump failure in the 5+ years I've owned it and, my newer Grand Cherokee is all kinds of awesome.

Edited by Raf

My wife wanted to trade in her small Plymouth for an SUV last year. Had it narrowed down to the VW, GMC Envoy and the Cadillac SRX. I went and asked a buddy at work whose brother owns a garage in Hamilton. I was shocked about the VW. Parts are alot more expensive and many items are less than reliable. I did my own follow up on the web looking for reliable sites that would provide summary ratings on vehicles. I like the drive on the VW and the Nissan Murano but it was her choice

We went with the Envoy and she absolutley loves it. It's heavy on gas but hey I drive and Expedition

I'd vote for the Honda Pilot too but if you're asking the 4 runner

If you find a Touareg with a V10 TDI... don't be scared to buy it

but don't expect to have it for long very break-down prone, but ..

. it's a CRAZY Machine...It'll smoke any new gas pick-up on the road...

That said .. I choose the 4Runner .. very Capable unit... but not quite capable as my Expedition. whistling.gif

Randy

canadian.gif

I know! That engine is a BEAST.

I would suggest a Jeep. :D

My old Cherokee currently has 400,000 on the clock and still tickin' with only a power steering pump failure in the 5+ years I've owned it and, my newer Grand Cherokee is all kinds of awesome.

Best answer yet. The Cherokees are bulletproof, everything from the engine down to the diffs.. If you want something to get dirty and go to all the nasty places, this is it.

Also, forget fuel mileage, SUV's usually suck (Especially the Supercharged Xterra, lol)

The Toureg is one of the worst Consumer rated vehicles on the market. I would highly advise looking at consumer reports and used vehicle reviews regarding the VW before you consider buying one. They have a reputation for being huge lemons! You cannot go wrong with Nissan or Toyota really. I had a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder that I drove the freaking heck out of. The motor was... and still is bullet proof! I put over 240,000km on it before I had to sink any real money into it. Even then...it was just maintenance and everydays ware and tear item replacements.

I don't have a 2004 4runner but I do have a 1998 with 350K on it and it has been BULLET PROOF!! Other than the usual Maintenance

nothing major has gone wrong. Going out to buy a new set of tires for her. She'll be good for at least another 150K. Spend your money

wisely.

I don't have a 2004 4runner but I do have a 1998 with 350K on it and it has been BULLET PROOF!! Other than the usual Maintenance

nothing major has gone wrong. Going out to buy a new set of tires for her. She'll be good for at least another 150K. Spend your money

wisely.

350k that's good. If I buy a 4runner it'll probably already have 100k on it so it's good to know these things are made well and last long. I currently own an 09' Corolla and already have 91k on it. I havn't had a single issue with it, it's incredible compared to vehicles my family/friends have owned. I wasn't a fan of Toyota's in the past but you can't ignore that many happy customers.

After some reading, I can see the Toureg is a breakdown waiting to happen...It's nice from a distance and I'll keep it that way.

The Xterra is looking better the more I research it, I was worried about quality, but that doesn't seem to be a major issue. The main issues is gas mileage. Also it seems better off road than on.

Maybe I'll look closer at the Pilot too <_<

Hi all. I may need to get an SUV and I've been looking into suitable vehicles for the job. These three stand out as far as performance, off-road ability and reliability (Toyota at least). I like the Toureg for it's off-road ability and luxury. The 4Runner for fuel mileage, off-road an reliability and the Xterra for off-road and user friendliness for active lifestyles. All in V-6 form.

If you own one, used to own one of know somebody who owns one please provide your opinion and the pros and cons of it. And don't suggest a Honda Pilot...I don't want one.:mellow::D

I guess the first question I would ask is why you "may need to get an SUV"? What job are you looking for it to perform? Are you looking for a tow vehicle or just a poseur type truck..........not meant to be derogatory, just sayin'. If I only had the 3 to pick from I would choose the 4Runner, but then again given the choice out there I wouldn't buy any of the 3.

I guess the first question I would ask is why you "may need to get an SUV"? What job are you looking for it to perform? Are you looking for a tow vehicle or just a poseur type truck..........not meant to be derogatory, just sayin'. If I only had the 3 to pick from I would choose the 4Runner, but then again given the choice out there I wouldn't buy any of the 3.

I need something with truck abilities as I'll be using it up north and in relatively rough terrain. I also need a covered rear end to keep stuff safe/dry and for myself as shelter. (sounds redneck I know). I'll be putting lots of hwy miles during the winter on it too so I'd like decent gas mileage and reliability. I chose these three because of the mix of real truck/ on road abilities plus the price range is right. I don't really need to tow anything (until I get a boat), but I do want a tough suv and not a "soft-roader". If I have a SUV I'll be using it hard.

You say you wouldn't buy any of the 3...what would you buy? (in the 15-20k price range) I'm guessing you'd pick a truck? I also like the 4 door Tacoma.

I need something with truck abilities as I'll be using it up north and in relatively rough terrain. I also need a covered rear end to keep stuff safe/dry and for myself as shelter. (sounds redneck I know). I'll be putting lots of hwy miles during the winter on it too so I'd like decent gas mileage and reliability. I chose these three because of the mix of real truck/ on road abilities plus the price range is right. I don't really need to tow anything (until I get a boat), but I do want a tough suv and not a "soft-roader". If I have a SUV I'll be using it hard.

You say you wouldn't buy any of the 3...what would you buy? (in the 15-20k price range) I'm guessing you'd pick a truck? I also like the 4 door Tacoma.

No, I would probably buy a Jeep. If you calculate the difference in gas $$ over the course of a year it's not so much. For that kind of money you can buy a recent (3-4 year old) Grand Cherokee if you look around.

No, I would probably buy a Jeep. If you calculate the difference in gas $ over the course of a year it's not so much. For that kind of money you can buy a recent (3-4 year old) Grand Cherokee if you look around.

I'm scared poopless of chrysler products. I know the Jeeps are better built than say an Avenger but with their track record and the fact that they will probably eventually become extinct I'd rather avoid anything with a Chrysler stamp on it.

The new GC is sure a nice looking SUV! I'll admit that.

Best answer yet. The Cherokees are bulletproof, everything from the engine down to the diffs.. If you want something to get dirty and go to all the nasty places, this is it.

Also, forget fuel mileage, SUV's usually suck (Especially the Supercharged Xterra, lol)

Sorry to Hijack, but does this stand true for 2004 -2010 Cherokees? I am considering one for my next ride.

I had an '87 and literally beat the snot out of it, my bro drove it til 2007 when he crashed it.

Edited by Harrison

Phil, they stopped building regular Cherokees in 2001. They replaced it with the chick mobile called the Liberty. They still make the Grand Cherokees though. Generations are ???-1998, 1999-2004, 2005-2010, 2011+

Rod Caster, Chrysler is not going anywhere. The old 4.0 is bulletproof and the 4.7 has an excellent reputation as well.

Edited by Raf

Powertrains will be rock-solid.

they did away with the 4.0L I6 in 2005 & replaced with a 3.7 V6 which IMO would be a dog in that chassis. In other words, get the V8.

I am more familiar with the 99-04. The Limited models (top of the line) came with an automatic climate control system, it is about the only common source of failure on these vehicles. The blend-doors that control cold/warm air entering the cabin will break at some point and the proper way to fix it is to pull the entire dash which is probably an 8 hour job -- there are hacks that will let you fix it by cutting plastic behind the glove box in order to gain access to replace them but they are just that, hacks. You can avoid this issue by buying a Laredo model with manual HVAC.

http://wjjeeps.com is a great source of info for the 99-04

http://wkjeeps.com for 05-10

Edited by Raf